Whining patten (from belt?) during heavy rain

Kid Red

:
Mazda 5
I live in Florida and when it rains really hard here and I drive on the highway, I get a 5 second looping whining sound like a belt gripping. Kinda like the sound a bad water pump (?) would make on older cars. Anyone else have this problem?

I've heard a similar sound...for me it seems to happen when the rear wiper goes, but it does NOT happen while the wiper moves so I know it's not the wipers making the noise.

I think it might be the alternator belt since EVERYTHING on these cars is electric...it's like when the wiper motor kicks in it creates just enough load on the alt. to make the belt slip when wet.(dunno)

Squealing Belt Noise

Consistent intervals (5 sec.) of squeal. Occurred in heavy rain with heavy electrical load (front and rear wipers, radio, lights and fog lights). Alternator belt slippage suspected. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
We had a high pitched squeal that only happened when the A/C was on, at highway speeds, and when raining. The squeal happened every minute or so and lasted about 5 seconds. I had to take a dealer tech on a road test during a thunderstorm to "confirm" the noise. The dealer replaced the A/C belt and all is quiet. No one could explain why. They also ended up covering a hole in the plastic underbody engine cover directly underneath the air conditioner in an attempt to keep this from happening again.

I went through the sqeal for about 4 months...they replaced every belt and pulley and everything has been good since....knock on wood...

Back