Switched to 225/45/18s?

FlyMS6

:
Whitewater Pearl MS6
Had the car 15 days now. After reading all the posts about all seasons vs. snows and 18s vs 17s, I'm considering going with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position all seasons in 225/45/18 on my stock rims. I'll then either sell the summer tires that came on the MS6 or look for some wheel deals on ebay and run those in the summer.

The guy at Tire Rack told me they would be OK, but I'm wondering about any possible downsides to going with the 225s. I understand that they will be a bit taller, so the speedo will be off a bit, but I'm wondering if it will also have any negative effects on mileage, power, body roll, etc.

Is anyone running this tire combination or another brand of 225/45/18 that could let me know how it's working?
Thanks

225's would be a bit wider too............right? wondering about rubbing inside fender wells. (peep)

Klip said:
225's would be a bit wider too............right? wondering about rubbing inside fender wells. (peep)

I guess the difference in width is only about 4/10th of an inch, which Tire Rack said was OK for clearance.

FlyMS6 said:
I guess the difference in width is only about 4/10th of an inch, which Tire Rack said was OK for clearance.
That's not what they told me when I tried to order these. I ordered online and the guy called me back and said I'd have to roll the rear fender just a bit.

I decided to go with the 215 Pirellis.

stillflat4 said:
That's not what they told me when I tried to order these. I ordered online and the guy called me back and said I'd have to roll the rear fender just a bit.

I decided to go with the 215 Pirellis.

I hope they don't rub now that I've ordered them. Tire Rack lists that size an as option for their winter tires, which is what gave me the idea. I ordered them online, but called the next morning and they confirmed that it would fit, so I guess I'll ship em back if there's a problem.

Let us now FLYMS6 about the 225's rubbing or not, curious here.......(ughdance)

Klip said:

they do not rub. i have the 225/45/18 bridgestone potenzas re960's on my 18 inch 5zigen super six rims on my ms6 and before these i had 235/40/18 snow tires. nothing is rubbing anytime soon. hell on my evo i had 265's all the way around and had plenty of room. dont under estimate the vehicle.

Sending them back to Tire Rack

Klip said:

They arrived Wednesday and the tire shop quit after mounting and testing one for fit on the front -- said there was not enough clearance. I called Tirerack and they will refund the cost of tires, but have not agreed yet to cover shipping, which will be almost $90 both ways. Very frustrating because two of their employees said they would fit. The first sales guy I talked to recommended the tires, and then I ordered them online on Sunday. I called first thing Monday morning and asked a woman in customer service to check the size, and she also said it would fit. The guy I talked to at Tirerack when I called to say they didn't fit told me that because I didn't actually order on the phone there was no documentation that I had talked to anyone. I'm hoping they do the right thing and cover the shipping and don't try to weasel out of it because I didn't get the names of their employees.

Now, I'm back to the original choice of the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S, or finding some used rims and putting winter tires on. They clear the snow really fast here in W. PA, and so I really don't need any deep snow traction. I would guess we only drive on icy roads 12-15 times a winter. I really don't want to be driving with blizzaks on dry roads most of the winter. The reason I insisted upon getting a all-wheel drive was so I didn't have to go the dedicated snow tires route.

they should fit just fine

i am running 225 45 18 kuhmos for auto cross on the stock wheels and no rubbing at all even in the rear remember this car has a little more clearance in the fenders than the regular 6

Ok, I'm new here so please take it easy (peep) . So 225s are fine, I'm looking at winter tires 235 40s that are for sale by a local person will those be too wide?

thanks,

Funny how 225's fit some depending on what tire place puts them on....... I have 225/45/17's on my wife's 6 wagon with no issues at all.

FlyMS6 said:
Now, I'm back to the original choice of the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S, or finding some used rims and putting winter tires on. They clear the snow really fast here in W. PA, and so I really don't need any deep snow traction. I would guess we only drive on icy roads 12-15 times a winter. I really don't want to be driving with blizzaks on dry roads most of the winter. The reason I insisted upon getting a all-wheel drive was so I didn't have to go the dedicated snow tires route.

I was in the same situation. Not too much snow here on Long Island, but I like to be safe. I didn't want to do the Blizzaks for the same reason. Not enough snow on the ground year-round. Hell, some seasons we only get one or two snows, and then it only sticks for a day or two until the salt melts it all. I figure I'm safe with the Pirellis and my AWD as long as I take it easy if I'm in snow. I'm a hell of a lot better off than all those FWD cars on the road!

As for the ride, I think you'll really like the Pirellis. I like them better than the Bridgestones that came on the car. They stick very nicely to dry and wet pavement alike, and they seem to have made the ride a bit more civilized. Plus, I'm getting better mileage.

How could the 225's not fit? I have 225/45/18 on the stock rim and they fit fine with plenty of clearance. Even with 4 people in the car, no issues at all.

Opps.., they are Blizzaks.

Check each tire for fit

Rawyzf said:
How could the 225's not fit? I have 225/45/18 on the stock rim and they fit fine with plenty of clearance. Even with 4 people in the car, no issues at all.

Opps.., they are Blizzaks.

I also kept hearing that the 225s would fit, and that's why I went the route that I did. When I called Tirerack back after the tire shop said they would rub the guy at Tirerack said there was a warning posted on the Pole Position info that apparently they missed the first time.

By the way, Tirerack did agree to pay for all the shipping. I had the Pirellis put on a couple of days ago and I haven't noticed any negatives yet. If we ever get any winter here it will be fun to try them out.

Couldn't you use 225/40-18 instead of the 45's, I was thinking that the aspect ratio would be close to the same as the stock size because of the wider width and not as likely to rub.

mazspd6 said:
Couldn't you use 225/40-18 instead of the 45's, I was thinking that the aspect ratio would be close to the same as the stock size because of the wider width and not as likely to rub.

Yeah, that's what the tire shop guys told me, but at that point, I was skeptical of ordering another set from the Tirerack, and a little gun shy about going outside the stock tire size. I had a couple road trips coming up and didn't want to screw around any longer without something better for ice.

FlyMS6 said:
Yeah, that's what the tire shop guys told me, but at that point, I was skeptical of ordering another set from the Tirerack, and a little gun shy about going outside the stock tire size. I had a couple road trips coming up and didn't want to screw around any longer without something better for ice.
I just order the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S in a 215/45ZR-18. Slammed the speed into a damn tree at about 3mph in the snow. Time for all season radials. Im gonna sell the stock wheels...They have about 15k on them....prob for about $250 for the set...If anyones interested PM me and Ill post a thread with pics.

You will like the Pirellis

jcgemt2003 said:
I just order the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S in a 215/45ZR-18. Slammed the speed into a damn tree at about 3mph in the snow. Time for all season radials. Im gonna sell the stock wheels...They have about 15k on them....prob for about $250 for the set...If anyones interested PM me and Ill post a thread with pics.

I have had the Pirellis now for two snow storms and they did very well. I haven't noticed any negative aspects on dry roads, so I think I will be set yearround.

FlyMS6 said:
I have had the Pirellis now for two snow storms and they did very well. I haven't noticed any negative aspects on dry roads, so I think I will be set yearround.
I was hopen someone would tell me that.

Back