auxmod install (headunit removal)

hey guys,

new 5 guy here... I am going to put an auxmod on my headunit for my mp3s... how do i get the headunit out? It was easy on my mazda 3... i dont see the way to get the panels off (to maybe expose some screws or something)..

thanks

traffikboy said:
hey guys,

new 5 guy here... I am going to put an auxmod on my headunit for my mp3s... how do i get the headunit out? It was easy on my mazda 3... i dont see the way to get the panels off (to maybe expose some screws or something)..

thanks

In brief:

1. Remove the shifter knob ( I covered the exposed thread with a bit of tape)
2. Shift into either second or fourth gear (if you don't you might scratch the center console)
3. pull off the shifter boot and silver trim ring (just pull up, it will pop off)
4. remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the center console radio modile
5. pull up and wiggle the radio out of the dash

This last step is the hardest. It will feel like you're gonna break things. Then the radio will come out!

6. reach around and remove the connectors for the radio and climate controls

reverse for installation

actually other than step 5 it's all pretty straight foreward

if you have the navigation system installed you have to remove that panel of buttons also to get the cables off the back so you can remove the center console. After that it's not hard. There ARE pictures somewhere, I found them googling or digging through posts here before I did it the first time. If I could have found the link in my bookmarks I would have reposted for you, but I cannot.

Now if only the auxmod guys would finish the advanced product I could do mine as well. I think they are spending too much time with the iPod interface when they probably have something working for those that dont need that right now.

X10James said:
if you have the navigation system installed you have to remove that panel of buttons also to get the cables off the back so you can remove the center console.

I just removed the head unit to relocate a Bluetooth control to the optional cassette spot. We have automatic/nav and did not have to do anything extra for the nav other than pulling the plug for the nav control next to the transmission.

I can provide more details on the headunit removal if anybody is interested. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures!

well I suppose if you were good enough to know how to get those plugs off while reaching around the thing ;) I had to pull it off separately and examine the thing to figure it out.

Cx-7 Factory Nav Removal

PrimeFactor said:
I just removed the head unit to relocate a Bluetooth control to the optional cassette spot. We have automatic/nav and did not have to do anything extra for the nav other than pulling the plug for the nav control next to the transmission.

I can provide more details on the headunit removal if anybody is interested. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures!

Can you provide more details? I have the technology package and want to add an IPOD controller to the SAT input on the back of the radio. I don't want to damage the bezel obviously.

Thanks in advance.

allan371 said:
Can you provide more details? I have the technology package and want to add an IPOD controller to the SAT input on the back of the radio. I don't want to damage the bezel obviously.

Thanks in advance.

the CX7 with tech package is setup COMPLETELY different... so anyone in this section/thread (for the Mazda 5) will not be able to help you... it would be better if you posted in the audio section of the CX7 forum...

was98strat said:
In brief:

1. Remove the shifter knob ( I covered the exposed thread with a bit of tape)
2. Shift into either second or fourth gear (if you don't you might scratch the center console)
3. pull off the shifter boot and silver trim ring (just pull up, it will pop off)
4. remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the center console radio modile

This last step is the hardest. It will feel like you're gonna break things. Then the radio will come out!

6. reach around and remove the connectors for the radio and climate controls

reverse for installation

actually other than step 5 it's all pretty straight foreward

finally got around to removing the headunit to put in the aux mod... aaahhh .. i got my creative mp3 player back in my car... pretty easy.. just remember there are also 2 screws to remove to take the big black plastic cover for the shifter off.. that one had me stumped for a bit (duh)... right now i have some wires sticking out (quick fix) . eventually i will make a nice and neat rca jack in the space where the cassette player would have gone...

peace

AUX MOD on 5

Do you have to use a different trim panel for this? I just got a 2006 5, pulled the working AUX mod out of my 2002 Protege 5, and installed. Can't seem to get it to work, but don't have a "TAPE" button on this trim panel.

The Auxmod works off of the Media button.

I just installed an Auxmod on a Mazda5 auto over the weekend. I don't know how you guys were able pull the headunit out just by unscrewing the two screws under the headunit. I had to loosen the big piece of plastic housing surrounding the shifter.

This post on MPV Club has a better description of the install process.
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=11333&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

For Mazda5s with automatics, you also need to move the shifter back so there will be enough space to pull the headunit out. In order to this, you'll have to start the car, shift to neutral, and shut the engine off. Just make sure that you are in a well-ventilated area before starting the car and that your parking brake is on. Also, you won't be able to take your key out until the shifter is put back in park. I did not unplug the battery for the install.

Thanks. Checked the AUXMOD site and it looks like the older AUXMODs have problems on the 2006 and newer radios. I probably have an older one.

you dont actually have to start the car, you can release the shift lock with the lever that is under that little tab. But otherwise yes, I had to take the whole thing off too.

was98strat said:
A little more help on this one please. Pull up on what? Even with the silver shifter trim removed, the lower plastic still surrounds the lower tabs of the deck bezel. Are there other screws to remove?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nevermind, I figured it out and will do a full write up with pictures. Easy, once you know what to do - otherwise a person could just as easily break stuff.

Hi there!

This morning I ordered my AuxMod basic!

Has any of you used a ground loop isolator? I will use my auxmod with my blekin car kit.

The only thing is I need to 1/8" stereo to RCA converters because all GLI I found use RCA plugs.

Anyone found a 1/8" only GLI?

I needed to use a ground loop isolator for my Sat radio receiver. Switched to an HD radio receiver and didn't need it, go figure..

Anyone else using a Belkin charger? Any humming? Adding a GLI would set me back about 50$ more I think. Worth the spending?

1x
2700054l.jpg
2x
2740883l.jpg
1x
4218401l.jpg

I guess if the auxmod can support the adapter with the RCA cables (I'll tie up the RCA cables), then only one extention will be needed. If not, I guess i'll put an extention between the GLI and the AuxMod so the Aux mod only supports the extension weight.

Does this looks like the best way to put the GLI? I'd gladly ditch the 2 adapters, but I can only find GLIs with RCA jacks.

So my connection would be AuxMod / adapter / GLI / Adapter / Extension cord / Belkin CarKit.

hey there NYMZ5...

I see you got hd radio .... how are the ny hd stations so far??? I saw they had a 70's station on plj... Let me know...

Thanks

Back