Rhino ramps
Jack

optional:
Safety Glasses
Gloves
Light
Hammer
toolsused.jpg

First, get your car up on some ramps. I use good ol' walmart rhino ramps.
Remember to put wedges behind your back tires for safety reasons. (Also remember to take them out when you are done.. >.<)

This is the new AWR SEXY mount. So very pretty.
awrmount02.jpg

awrmount01.jpg

Put some peices of short 2x4's on a jackstand and jack it up just so it touches the tranny. Then pump it 1/4 just so it barely lifts the trans.
This is to support the motor while we remove the mount.
jackpoint.jpg

We will be removing two 17mm bolts. They should come fairly easily. If not, use the breaker bar.
oldmount.jpg

1st bolt out.
1stboltout.jpg

2nd bolt out.
2ndboltout.jpg

Now you have to manuever the mount out. This part took longer than the entire first half.
pullingitout.jpg

Comparison of old and new. The stock mount is actually pretty firm. Much firmer than the stock Protege 5 mounts were.
comparison.jpg

In goes the new. Also very hard. You need to make sure all the holes are lined up perfectly.
lineupholes.jpg

Once you have everything lined up, just tighten everything down. I dont know the exact torque specs so if someone could jump in and add that, I will edit this part with that info.

everythingtightend.jpg

There! All done. Should only take you 30 minutes.

pretty.jpg

Additional Tips
Rotus8 said:
I did this mod yesterday and have discoverd a way to make it MUCH easier.

First off, there is no need to support the tranny when the mount is removed. Without the mount things are quite stable.

Second, the three 19mm bolts shown in your 4th picture can be removed. These hold an adapter plate and with this plate out of the way, the old mount just slides out. Slide the new one in, put the plate back; no prying or shoving. Five bolts and you are done. It is helpful to start the threads in all five bolts before tightening any of them. At this point you might need to put a little upward pressure with a jack to line it up, but I found it unnecessary. The three 19mm bolts were pretty tight so torque them up well.

Thanks for the write-up and I hope this makes it easier for future implementers.

Last edited:
Very nice and much easier to install than the P5... So how does the new MM feel?

Test drive/FIrst impressions

Shifts so much better! Hardly ANY cabin vibrations at all. Anyone who has installed the AWR MM in either their p5 or msp will know, those shook like crazy! I can barely tell the difference at idle.

Shifting feels much more .. 'crisp'(cant think of a better word). I love how you feel like you are really in touch with the car now.

I will be updating more as I 'break it in'.

stay tuned for the TMIC and Shift boot HOW TO's.

Nutari said:
Shifts so much better! Hardly ANY cabin vibrations at all. Anyone who has installed the AWR MM in either their p5 or msp will know, those shook like crazy! I can barely tell the difference at idle.

Shifting feels much more .. 'crisp'(cant think of a better word). I love how you feel like you are really in touch with the car now.

I will be updating more as I 'break it in'.

stay tuned for the TMIC and Shift boot HOW TO's.

What hardness of urethane did you use 70 or 88?
Thinking of getting one of these, but not sure which one.
Thanks dude - nice write up! (RTM)

Man very good write up. Now do one for the protege! I'll be doing my this weekend.

Hughes412 said:
Man very good write up. Now do one for the protege! I'll be doing my this weekend.
There already is one for the protege.. for both front and back.

Nutari said:
I thought I had answered you already. There wasnt a choice when I ordered. It was a package deal with the TMIC. It can be ordered seperate but im not sure which one I got. I'll get in touch with ken and let you know
Ok thanks for looking into this for me. I'll probably get what you have. I just don't want a bunch of needless vibrations.

Thanks alot, Tony

Good write up......The durometer will top it off. I didnt look into the install that much but it looks super easy, Ill be getting one now for sure. Thats good it dosent vibrate that much.... GOOD DEAL!!!

Nutari said:
Sorry, I thought I had answered you already. There wasnt a choice when I ordered. It was a package deal with the TMIC. It can be ordered seperate but im not sure which one I got. I'll get in touch with ken and let you know

Nice write up, as I too am thinking about doing something like this. From what I've read so far the 70 DM sounds like the best of both worlds... a nice compromise for us dual purpose drivers. :)
One minor critism though, if you keep your pics to a 5" width, not only will the text not spread out, but you will be able to see the whole picture on your screen, and someone who wants to do this will be able to print out your write up w/no loss of info.
Just my .02. :)

Has anyone heard of the cheaper alternative to doing this as in filling in the stock mount w/either silicone or epoxy? Two guys on the iMazda site did a write up and it seems to be working for them just fine. Still waiting for the longevity issues to surface though, but for around $4 this can be done too.
I haven't tried either... yet, just wondered.

Last edited:
bbrich57 said:

Nice write up, as I too am thinking about doing something like this. From what I've read so far the 70 DM sounds like the best of both worlds... a nice compromise for us dual purpose drivers. :)
One minor critism though, if you keep your pics to a 5" width, not only will the text not spread out, but you will be able to see the whole picture on your screen, and someone who wants to do this will be able to print out your write up w/no loss of info.
Just my .02. :)

what resolution would that be? I made it big for clarity. Sorry if I went a little overboard. I like big clear straightforeward pictures.

ok, first post edited.

I shrank them down from 1024x768 to 800x600.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nutari said:
what resolution would that be? I made it big for clarity. Sorry if I went a little overboard. I like big clear straightforeward pictures.
ok, first post edited.
I shrank them down from 1024x768 to 800x600.

Naw Man. It's all good. I was just hoping I could help you, and the others, writeups be more usable.
For the writeups and pics that I have posted (what? 2? :) ) I usually upload @ 91 dpi, due to monitor and hosting limitations. Using 91dpi resolution, 5" equals 455 pixels (width.) I've had good luck w/that setting and I am hoping that you would too.
No offense intended, and certainly no apology necessary.
Good write up, Man!! :)

Last edited:
bbrich57 said:

Naw Man. It's all good. I was just hoping I could help you, and the others, writeups be more usable.
For the writeups and pics that I have posted (what? 2? :) ) I usually upload @ 91 dpi, due to monitor and hosting limitations. Using 91dpi resolution, 5" equals 455 pixels (width.) I've had good luck w/that setting and I am hoping that you would too.
No offense intended, and certainly no apology necessary.
Good write up, Man!! :)
I'll redo it that way then. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nutari said:
Now you have to manuever the mount out. This part took longer than the entire first half.[/IMG]

Jesus, haha. Understatement of the year. I ended up having to pry mine out, lol. Fortunately it's easier to put the AWR one in than it is to take the stock one out.

I was gonna do this today. But my MS3 wouldn't go up on the rhino ramps! My front bumper is too low!! The ramps might have been at a bad angle/slope. I'll clean out the drive port for a nice smooth flat surface and try again tomorrow...

JimmyMac said:
I was gonna do this today. But my MS3 wouldn't go up on the rhino ramps! My front bumper is too low!! The ramps might have been at a bad angle/slope. I'll clean out the drive port for a nice smooth flat surface and try again tomorrow...
I have the same ramps. Just shove them harder. They will lift the bumper just a little but its fine. You wont break anything.

Nutari said:
You wont break anything.

QFT, same deal for me. If it bothers you too much though, you could consider getting some 2x4's to lay down in front of the ramps to raise the front end up a hair before you actually drive onto the ramps.

Back