"Integrated" Satellite radio?

5for4

I just picked up my 2007 5 two weeks ago. I didn't get satellite radio through the factory options. Can I get Sirius now and have it "integrated" through the existing stereo, or will I have to have it installed as in any other car?

I hope my question makes sense, I am trying to find out if I have to have the unit mounted to my dashboard (I don't want to).

Thanks.

It's a dealer add-on anyway, not factory, so yes you can add it at any time. It's an expensive option though at $320ish + install and with limited display options on the 5's lcd as compared to an aftermarket Sat reciever. But the overall integration is very nice.

I have the SIRIUS option and its nicely integrated, but dont knock the portable units. I used to have a portable SIRIUS unit in my previous cars and theyre insanely nice to swap between cars and take in your house and work. They also generally have nicer displays that show more information. Furthermore, right now you can get some killer steals with the pre-Christmas sales on the portable units.

All that being said, yes, the cost of OEM includes 6 months of service ($78 value) and I am happy with my Mazda unit.

You could add it, or you could just go to your local electronics store and buy a portable unit and set up the service. I think that is the best way to go, especially if you have more than one vehicle, or you want to enjoy the Sirius at home too. With an integrated unit, you are pretty much locked in your car with it and have no other options.

I have a portable XM, and I love it. It can be used in any of my vehicles, I have a home kit, and I also have a kit that makes it portable like an Ipod, with headphones. No limits.... It runs $30 every 4 months for the regular service and sounds great.

Thanks

I was considering the "integrated" because of the look-I hate to see those things mounted on the dashboard! Anyone with the portable unit have a good idea of where to mount it?

Thanks.

In a previous car as ridiculous as this sounds, it worked amazing. I used a center console cup holder to mount it. I mounted it to a 60* bracket to give it some tilt back, then I screwed the bracket into a hockey puck! The hockey puck then fit perfectly into my cup holder, and also let me swivel any direction I wanted.

My point is, first find the unit you think youll like the best, and base your decision primarily on the display and features, all brands are pretty much the same quality. I had an Audiovox unit which generally isnt top notch in audio, but mine worked great and never gave me a problem all of em have the same guts as prescribed by Sirius. THEN, after you get it, experiment with locations and fab something up to install it. While I dont recommend it for safety reasons, Ive even see people rig it up to their sun visors. You can get some itsy-bitsy units that fit in the palm of your hand, or some bulkier, albeit nicer displaying units.

Go to SiriusBackstage.com >> Forums >> Install Garage for ideas. Has pictures of peoples installs in various makes and models.

Last edited:
My XM is built in, but my Sirius is portable. Like jandree22 mentioned; it's great to be able to move around where needed.

Follow-up. I received a sirius stiletto for Christmas. I love that I can listen to it anywhere with headphones!

My husband is wondering if anyone here has installed the antennae on their own. We have made an appointment to have it professionally installed, but we're wondering if we should just do it ourselves and save the $? His basic question is whether anyone has installed the antennae in the moonroof (instead of what sirius recommends-going all the way back to the rear window)?

I can't stand to have loose wires hanging around, so am leaning toward professional installation (my husband is not the best at this kind of stuff!).

Thoughts?

Because of the steeply ranked and long windshield in the 5 (minivan type), you could probably get great reception by mounting it on your dash where it meets the windshield and just tucking the wiring into the panels. That way it can’t get stolen (not a real concern, though), it’s very easy to install, and you don’t have to see it on the outside of the car (some think they’re an eyesore).

Alternatively, if you decide to install on the roof (the best option, but most labor), find a spot near the edge of the roof, and then you just tuck the antenna wire into the nearest weather stripping and pass it in through a door, then just tuck under panels/carpet until you get to the Stiletto mounting location.

Be forewarned, however! The Satellite Radio antenna wires are DELICATE! If you slice through the insulation or kink the wire, the antenna is more or less destroyed. Just be careful that if you have to loop it, make sure it’s looped in at least 1-2” diameter so the wire doesn’t crease. Also, if you use a flathead screw drive to tuck the wire into weather stripping or panels, use care to not strip the wire. It’s got some durability to it, but if you do crease or strip it, it’s toast.

Good luck! :)

Back