Front Speaker Question

protosaab

I'll be picking up my 07 Touring on Wednesday and so I am eager to upgrade. i checked all the posts on upgrading the sound system, but i still have a few questions. I will upgrade in steps, starting with the front speakers. Since the Touring has a separate tweeter i assume there is a crossover somewhere. if i upgrade to components up front should i use the stock cross overs or the ones that comes with the speakers? Where are the stock crossovers located? Does anyone know the rms output of the HU? I will not be adding an amp until later so I want to get efficient speakers. Thanks - for now.

I have no clue about the OEM crossovers but definitely use the aftermarket ones that come with your new components. The aftermarket crossover will be matched to the tweeters and woofers you're swapping in.

OEM "components" don't usually have a crossover network per se, but if you remove the speakers, you may see caps and/or coils soldered directly onto the speaker terminals or on the wiring near the speakers. They're most likely wired in parallel, but who knows where the split is. They also may be wired to the woofer first, then from there to the tweeter. It would be great if you took a lot of detailed pics for a how-to thread. If you're interested in keeping the stock wiring intact, I would recommend running new speaker wire from the deck to your new x-over, then to your new speakers.

Back