Winter Rims

Besides price? Places like Tirerack sell the OE versions. In some cases, it's the exact same wheel as the manufacturer, with or without the "Mazda" logo on it.

Beware of cheap knockoffs. This is usually more of a problem with alloys than steel wheels though.

As long as you have the correct size, bolt pattern, and offset, and it's a good quality wheel, you should be set.

danix said:
Besides price? Places like Tirerack sell the OE versions. In some cases, it's the exact same wheel as the manufacturer, with or without the "Mazda" logo on it.

Beware of cheap knockoffs. This is usually more of a problem with alloys than steel wheels though.

As long as you have the correct size, bolt pattern, and offset, and it's a good quality wheel, you should be set.

Another option is to simply get a set of OEM wheels from somebody who decided they wanted to go aftermarket. This is what I did and I couldn't be happier. Even if the salt starts to chew away at them, they will still look better than steel wheels for at least the next few years anyways, and I know that the quality is there.

The only downside to using OEM wheels as opposed to steelies is the size. OEM wheel is a 17", meaning most likely your snow tires will be 205/50 17. If you go steelies, you'll probably get a 15", with a 65 series tire. The bigger sidewall will give much better performance in the snow. More sidewall flex = more traction in the snow.

dommo_g said:
The only downside to using OEM wheels as opposed to steelies is the size. OEM wheel is a 17", meaning most likely your snow tires will be 205/50 17. If you go steelies, you'll probably get a 15", with a 65 series tire. The bigger sidewall will give much better performance in the snow. More sidewall flex = more traction in the snow.

Actually OEM for the MAzda 5 is 16" for GS and 17" for GT. If you haven't already bought, Have a look at Gyro MAzda in Toronto. I got 16" steelies with Pirelli Winter Carving for $773 installed (+taxes) It's the best price I found for those tires! I was very specific about wanting Pirelli's

Just for verification, 15" steelies will not fit. I just tried to put a set on, and the bolt pattern was fine, but they wouldn't clear the caliper. Looks like 16s it is.

was98strat said:
Actually OEM for the MAzda 5 is 16" for GS and 17" for GT. If you haven't already bought, Have a look at Gyro MAzda in Toronto. I got 16" steelies with Pirelli Winter Carving for $773 installed (+taxes) It's the best price I found for those tires! I was very specific about wanting Pirelli's

I tried Gyro Mazda and they are completely out of Winter Carvings
and tried to sell me a generic brand for the same price. I checked
around and found Bridgestones with Mazda rims for $775 tax in @
Ajax tire.

From what I have been told, by a few places actually,

"Beware cheap generic rims", generic rims center on the hub using
the bolt holes, OEM's center using the center hole of the rim. The
difference between the two system can burn out your wheel bearings
quicker. Mazda steelies do not cost much if any more if any, so better
off going with the Mazda's.

was98strat said:

Ajax tire.

DurhamProPhoto said:
Ajax tire.

Yep. I'd agree with the above statement, but I think they are trying to put a scare on you. Lots of cars us lug centric rims. with little ill effect, though it could be a reason why NA cars tend to burn through wheel brearings faster??

Anyway I would agree that Hub centric OEM rims are not much more expensive than "multi fit" so why not get them. Time's marching on. The rush for Winter tires is on so It's going to get more difficult to find as we get into the winter driving season. I've had my Winter Tires on for about 3ish weeks now. I bought them before the rush and accepted that I would have a bit more wear for the first year!

can't you Order them?? failing that someone on this or the other forum got Goodyears (not my choice) from Ajax Mazda for about the same price. Either way The race is on!

DurhamProPhoto said:
Ajax tire.

Which bridgestones? are you getting for 775 taxes included?? I think rims alone run $300ish

Bridgestone Winter Force, OEM rims cost $50 buck per.
and they say Mazda right on them. My tire guy, told
me that generics may damage your bearing(or not). But the
biggest difference is in the ride. When they balance the tire they
use the center hole. On a generic the hole is bigger, so there
may be more play, and therefore more noise and vibrations
once they are on the vehicle.

They gave me a bit of a deal because I am doing my
5 and my wifes 3. (eight tires). I just had them installed
on the 5 this morning. Then I took them out for a drive on
the 401. They are not bad, not as noisy as I had expected.

But man are they ever FUGLY! I think I might have to
grab a set of hub caps.

Snow coming by the weekend!! So they say.

How is the Sharkfin for reception? I find that the stock
antennae is a little weak compared to my old Chevy.

Cheers

DurhamProPhoto said:
Bridgestone Winter Force, OEM rims cost $50 buck per.
and they say Mazda right on them. My tire guy, told
me that generics may damage your bearing(or not). But the
biggest difference is in the ride. When they balance the tire they
use the center hole. On a generic the hole is bigger, so there
may be more play, and therefore more noise and vibrations
once they are on the vehicle.

They gave me a bit of a deal because I am doing my
5 and my wifes 3. (eight tires). I just had them installed
on the 5 this morning. Then I took them out for a drive on
the 401. They are not bad, not as noisy as I had expected.

But man are they ever FUGLY! I think I might have to
grab a set of hub caps.

Snow coming by the weekend!! So they say.

How is the Sharkfin for reception? I find that the stock
antennae is a little weak compared to my old Chevy.

Cheers

The Shark fin is good, Reception is down a little bit, bit I don't listen to FM much anyway. Just really hated the RC car antenna look!

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!

195-50-16 are great on dry pavement, winter time I expect to be everywere but on the road with this tire size for the weight of the car. The 50% profile is the key here : they are low profile, very stiff tires (great for summer and pricy).

Anyone can confirm 14 inches rims can fit on a protege 5 2003.

Last edited:
ggirf14 said:
195-50-16 are great on dry pavement, winter time I expect to be everywere but on the road with this tire size for the weight of the car. The 50% profile is the key here : they are low profile, very stiff tires (great for summer and pricy).

Anyone can confirm 14 inches rims can fit on a protege 5 2003.

bump...wrong forum

I like the radio, so reception is real important to me.
Although on our recent trip down south I wish I had a
satellite hookup so I constantly would not have to scan
for stations. I put a set of Fugly Winters on the wifes
car yesterday. I think we will have to get some caps
to hide those steelies.

Aww, man.....don't hate on the steelies!!

Snowtires001edit.jpg

DurhamProPhoto said:
I like the radio, so reception is real important to me.
Although on our recent trip down south I wish I had a
satellite hookup so I constantly would not have to scan
for stations. I put a set of Fugly Winters on the wifes
car yesterday. I think we will have to get some caps
to hide those steelies.

I hvae satellite radio, Sirius actually. It cam as a 1 year freeby when I bought my 5. It spends most of it's time in the trunk. I really tried to like it for the first 4 months but I just never found anything that I really wanted to listen to, and I cerainly would have cancelled my subscription if I'd been paying for it. Sirius Canada is basically the same as american sirius with CBC radio one added to it. I really who listens to CBC radio???

Last edited:
was98strat said:
I hvae satellite radio, Sirius actually. It cam as a 1 year freeby when I bought my 5. It spends most of it's time in the trunk. I really tried to like it for the first 4 months but I just never found anything that I really wanted to listen to, and I cerainly would have cancelled my subscription if I'd been paying for it. Sirius Canada is basically the same as american sirius with CBC radio one added to it. I really who listens to CBC radio???

was98strat.. where did you get the shark fin ? I did see some on EBay..

Back