Head Unit Specs

protosaab

Does anyone have the specs on the head unit? I only saw some reference to 10w per channel. I was wondering about rms watts, s/n ratio, distortion and radio sensitivity. I figure the first upgrade i will do will be the speakers, but i do not want to mess with an external amp just yet.

head unit specs clarification

I want the specs so I can look for an appropriate speaker upgrade. I will eventually add an amp and perhaps a sub, but not until much later.

RMS power is probably about 5w, MAX power is around 10-15w. The rest of the specs don't really matter. Just about any aftermarket headunit over $100 will sound better and put out more power.

When it comes to upgrading, you should do one of three things:
1) Buy a new headunit AND new speakers
2) Buy an external amp and new speakers
3) Buy a new headunit, external amp and speakers

Simply put, the factory deck doesn't do a great job powering aftermarket speakers which are designed to handle 3-10 times more power.

*NOTE for option two above you may need a line-out-converter if the amp you choose does not have speaker-level inputs.

Problem is, has anyone successfully swapped in a new head unit to the 5 w/o butchering the dash?

I'll reflect chuyler's post though and say it's probably best to either look for sensitive speakers exclusively for the OEM HU, OR wait until you get an stronger amp and then upgrade higher end speakers the same time that you push more juice.

FWIW, I've upgraded my stereo's in previous cars including subwoofers, but considering I'll be transporting a baby and its delicate ears soon, the most I'll ever change is the main speakers hooked up to the OEM deck. However, I know others wouldn't mind getting some more Boom-Boom in their Zoom-Zoom :)

Last edited:
The baby won't always be in the car right? Check out this member's how-to on installing a small 8" sub in the rear cargo compartment.
8" sub custom enclosure install

I don't know if there are any dash kits for the Mazda5 yet. If Metra or one of the other companies hasn't made one yet, it should be available soon. I understand the desire to keep it looking stock, but I know from past experiences that even aftermarket speakers that claim to be sensitive usually end up producing less bass than the stock ones. They will sound a little cleaner but they won't play as loud. It's a sacrifice either way I guess.

thanks

thanks guys. I will wait untill i am ready for an amp to go with the new speakers. The head unit does look sharp and I have the 6 disc changer that I would hate to loose. I also understand that if I swap out the head unit I will loose the use of the steering wheel controls.

Not necessarily. Many aftermarket manufacturers sell adapters so that you can still use your factory steering wheel controls. I know Alpine supports it.

Back