Hey all you JDM buffs out there.

hmm interesting. I haven't seen JDM headlights, I'll have to check them out.

One problem you will have is that they drive on the other side of the road, so the beam patterns will blind oncoming drivers.

ya, i remember reading that too...i didn't realize they are set up that way

Yup. The reflector design cuts down the light sent into lanes of oncoming traffic for lowbeams. For high beams, well they just blast light all over the place :p

Are you talking about the JDM BJ headlights ? the ones that look like 99-00 proteges ? Those obviously wouldn't fit.

But if you want to get post facelift lights- I don't see why they wouldn't fit - they seem to be the exact same light.

I don't think there is a difference between US and Jspec headlights, except the orange reflector and maybe city lights.
premacy0220c.jpg

Last edited:
Protege2886: No, mazda5, not Protege5.

Even if they fit the beam pattern will be screwed up and if someone really wanted to be anal, they aren't DOT approved so shouldn't pass inspection in the States.

Thank you for all the responses.

The JDM headlights will be special order so I am wanting to make sure they will fit and use the same bulbs. The vendor I am going through doesn't normally sell them but can get them. This is why he's not sure if they will fit with no problem. If it works out, it would be good for anyone else who wants a set as long as they are available and not to costly.

I am still waiting to find out how much they will charge for them. I imagine there not going to be cheap. I was just hoping for some confirmation that they will fit with no problem and use the same bulbs.

Here's some pics of what they actually look like.
Oh and I ordered those eyebrows too. :)
E-MA06M5-A_4.jpg

E-MA06M5-A_5.jpg

Last edited:
OMG they look AWESOME. If you couldn't tell from my sig pic, I'm a huge fan of light and dark contrasts on cars. The little silver rings on those lights look great too.

MSP5 said:
Thank you for all the responses.

The JDM headlights will be special order so I am wanting to make sure they will fit and use the same bulbs. The vendor I am going through doesn't normally sell them but can get them. This is why he's not sure if they will fit with no problem. If it works out, it would be good for anyone else who wants a set as long as they are available and not to costly.

I am still waiting to find out how much they will charge for them. I imagine there not going to be cheap. I was just hoping for some confirmation that they will fit with no problem and use the same bulbs.

Here's some pics of what they actually look like.
Oh and I ordered those eyebrows too. :)
E-MA06M5-A_4.jpg

E-MA06M5-A_5.jpg

Those look nice. They are most likely aftermarket though, the Mazda Premacy has the same headlights as US (minus orange reflector/city lights). Let us know the price when you get it.

I'm betting you can achieve 99% of the same effect by just baking the headlights, prying them apart, and painting the chrome trim piece like the Protege5 guys have been doing for years now :)

(see sig pic for reference)

Kansei said:
I'm betting you can achieve 99% of the same effect by just baking the headlights, prying them apart, and painting the chrome trim piece like the Protege5 guys have been doing for years now :)

(see sig pic for reference)

Yeah, I know. I did that on my P5. The thing is I want actual JDM lights if I can get them. I am not cutting any corners on this car and if I can get the real deal I will. My plan is to have it ready for car shows this summer so anything extra like real JDM stuff is helpful.

Plus it's a brand new car and I don't want to take the chance of screwing up the headlights. I've only had it jsut over a week.

Honestly, the P5 headlights where really easy to take apart and paint. I tried to do the same thing on my Dodge stratus R/T, even with a how to from some one who did many sets, and it didn't work and it kinda screwed up the plastic cover.

RODSCALIP5 said:
Those look nice. They are most likely aftermarket though, the Mazda Premacy has the same headlights as US (minus orange reflector/city lights). Let us know the price when you get it.

Thats what I thought that they where aftermarket. The guy I talked to said they are JDM and he would have to have them shipped over if he can get them.

I wish they where after market becuase it would make thigns much easier. I have searched pretty much everywhere I can think of at this moment for JDM stykle headlights and no one has them. It will complete the look on the outside that I'm looking for.

If I can get them, I will let everyone know a price.

JDM can mean aftermarket or OEM, just for clarification. Remember that JDM headlights, whether they are cheap oem knockoffs or true oem lights (which.. considering from every pic I've seen the Mazda5/Premacy has chrome headlight housing, not likely) they won't have a proper beam pattern.

MSP5... did you by any chance have a red p5 with black wheels and basically all of the MSP swap (engine, interior bits, sound system, etc?)?

Back