Anyone Else Using Your Shiftronic???

7red7

:
2006 Mazda 5 S Touring
Just curious to know if anyone else regularly uses their shiftronic on your auto 5's??? I just recently began playing with it, and I'm loving the fact that I can get a nice takeoff and the engine seems to respond really well and loves to shift around 5000 RPM when I attempt to get up to speed quickly...I also love the fact that I can hit lower gears to slow down and save my brake pads and the engine responds like it's a regular manual tranny...

My old Hyundai Santa Fe had the option on it, and it never felt like a real manual transmission when it as engaged...Mazda did it right on their version and being that I'm used to strictly driving manuals I'm not as sad I had to go with the auto so my wife could drive it too...I just engage the shiftronic and have my fun :)

So anyone else rekindling their love for manual transmissions like I have???

DAN

a slushbox by any other name would still be a slushbox. i don't understand the point of putting a "manumatic" in a 4-spd auto. 5-spd, maybe. my last car was a 5-spd manual and this is my first "shiftronic" auto.

i've used it a few times - mainly to downshift to save brake pads and to downshift early before climbing a hill. i do like how push is downshift and pull is upshift.

yep and i like it....although all too often i forget i have it in manny mode and let my RPM's climb the Himalayas before i realize that i need to shift. Man this car loves 5k RPM's

Falango said:
Isn't that how most tiptronic shiftres are anyway?

some have sequential transmission that are not really slush boxes, but those are normally in Ferrari, BMW (i think), and audi/VW has a version of it. Not in cheaper cars yet.

Falango said:
Isn't that how most tiptronic shiftres are anyway?

Not really. Audi's tiptronic is the other way round. I have already got used to that so don't feel comfortable to use the shifter in the Mazda yet.

I use it a lot too whenever I get to drive it.
Over the past 3 days we used it on a roadtrip and it worked out pretty good.
I'm not rekindling though since my other car is a 5-speed. ;)

Awesome glad to know I'm not the only one :)

And hey whether you like it or not, I appreciate the feedback from everyone...Thanks for chiming in :)

DAN

I've tried Shiftronics before, but I can't get the hang of shifting anything without a clutch... it's a nice touch that Mazda could've easily left out, though.

jandree22 said:
I've tried Shiftronics before, but I can't get the hang of shifting anything without a clutch... it's a nice touch that Mazda could've easily left out, though.
You'll get used to it. I hardly drive the 5. But the first few times I did, it felt funny without a clutch. My left foot was looking for it a few times ! After awhile I got used to it.

Back