MP3 host & Line-In - XCarLink

Mazdude

:
04 Mazda 6S
My first post here:

Anyway we recently replaced our second car with a new/used 2004 M6S V6.
I wanted to have MP3 capability in the vehicle and the XCarLink was recommended to me.

Initially I just wanted to connect my iPod but after chatting with a gentleman at CarLinkDirect.Com I decided that an onboard system was better and to boot still allowed me to connect my iPod via 1/8" jack. I ended up buying the AL2005U which is a USB host as well as line-in.

It connects to the CD-changer on the back of the stock head unit in the Mazda6. I installed the XCarLink unit in the glove compartment. AT the same time while I had the center console and head unit pulled out I ran an 1/8" extension from the glove box to the armrest and also tapped in tothe cigarette lighter wires and installed a 12v female outlet in the glove compartment to power a 10GB USB HDD or any other device.

The Xcarlink is recognized as a CD changer by the Head Unit and allows you to create 10 folders representing 10 CDs each containing 99 tracks (total 990 tracks on the USB drive).
This is great as it allows you to use the stock radio controls to control MP3 playback.
Oh ya and the sound quality is also very good.

As for the line-in convenience; if my wife wants to hear some of her tunes on a road trip or when she uses the car she can plug the iPod (or any other source for that matter) using the 1/8" jack in the armrest. I was thinking we could use the line-in for the DVD player for the kids too if needed... The arm rest has a female 12v outlet as well to charge iPod or power any source plugged in to the line-in.

The complete install was pretty easy and took a couple of hours.

Anyway I thought i would plug the dealer I purchased the unit from; CarlinkDirect.Com
They've been really good answering questions.
The unit was shipped quickly too.

Here's the place: http://www.carlinkdirect.com

Mazda6 HU removal: http://sol20.com/ATENZA/maz_console_removal_E.htm

I will maybe post some pics if I get a chance.

Cheers!

worked in my 2003 mazda 6 with bose - installed may 2010

wanted to say thanks to the forums for helping me find xcarlink. i installed it in may 2010 to my 2003 mazda 6 with the bose stereo. it works just as describes, no issues. i had a professional install it as I didn't want anything to break. to them 45 minutes. i also go the bluetooth, but did not install it - its a waste. it requires you to use a mic that you attach to yourself. i guess i'd rather have the mic built-into the car - maybe my next car.

wiring in the mic

I just installed the xcarlink ipod adapter and ran the mic that came with the bluetooth adapter behind the molding up to a spot near my sun visor. So far, it's working great and all the wiring is tucked away out of sight.

Back