Brake squeal in reverse

monsta

Contributor
:
06 5 Touring, 07 Sport
Anyone get their brakes to squeal with light braking in reverse?

Even when the rotors are cleaned of the nightly, thin coat of rust and even after a good washing away of the brake dust, my brakes squeal when in reverse.

It's quite annnoying to an otherwise perfect car.

Mine does the same sometimes, will have the dealer check it out when it goes for its first oil change this month. Also how did you do from the earthquake, hope everything is ok. zoomzoom ( angelo )

Last edited:
In the cold my brakes squeal just as loud as those huge trucks. I found out about this last winter when I backed out of my garage and this HUGE squeal just came out. I swear it was loud enough to wake the entire neighborhood! (very deafening) It kept squealing until I stopped reversing and drove forward. Once the brakes warmed up, the sound stopped.

I took my mz5 to the dealer for inspection in Feb -- they could not find anything wrong with it but they took it apart, cleaned it out, and put it back together anyways. By then, the weather was starting to warm up again and my squealing problem disappeared.

Now it's starting to get cold again. In rare occasions I've heard my brakes squeal loud for a short duration, however most of the time now I hear quieter squeals instead. I suspect once winter sets in my brakes are going back to full volume again :(

I've heard of other people reporting this.. both in this forum and even Edmunds. I don't think there has been any resolution to this though.

dracore said:
In the cold my brakes squeal just as loud as those huge trucks. I found out about this last winter when I backed out of my garage and this HUGE squeal just came out. I swear it was loud enough to wake the entire neighborhood! (very deafening) It kept squealing until I stopped reversing and drove forward. Once the brakes warmed up, the sound stopped.

I took my mz5 to the dealer for inspection in Feb -- they could not find anything wrong with it but they took it apart, cleaned it out, and put it back together anyways. By then, the weather was starting to warm up again and my squealing problem disappeared.

Now it's starting to get cold again. In rare occasions I've heard my brakes squeal loud for a short duration, however most of the time now I hear quieter squeals instead. I suspect once winter sets in my brakes are going back to full volume again :(

I've heard of other people reporting this.. both in this forum and even Edmunds. I don't think there has been any resolution to this though.

Ok, I never noticed this until I parked the 5 outside in the driveway overnight. I've never owned a car that squealed this loud. It made noise backing up and little going forward. It must be the type of pads that Mazda is using for the 5. My MPV never made these noises.

I have the same issue. Every morning I back out of the garage, the brakes squeal like a baby seal. Very annoying. As soon as I put it in Drive and use the brakes, there is zero brake noise. Very disturbing.

Hi - this happens on mine as well - I was told it was because of the disc brakes.

Found this on wikepidia when I searched for disc brakes:

Sometimes a loud noise or high pitch squeal occurs when the brakes are applied. Most brake squeal is produced due to vibration (resonance instability) of the brake components especially the pads and discs (known as “force-coupled excitation”.) This type of squeal should not negatively affect brake stopping performance. Some simple techniques like adding chamfers to linings, greasing or gluing the contact between caliper and the pads (finger to backplate, piston to backplate), bonding insulators (damping material) to pad backplate, inclusion of a brake shim between the brake pad and back plate, etc might help reduce squeal. Many times cold weather combined with high early morning humidity (dew) could make the brake squeal worse and vanishes when the lining reaches regular operating temperatures. However, some lining wear indicators are also designed to squeal when the lining is due for replacement. Overall brake squeal can be annoying to the vehicle passengers, passerby, pedestrians, etc especially as vehicles are designed to be more comfortable and quieter. Hence vehicle NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) is one of the important priorities for today's vehicle manufacturers.

An age-old trick is to put a small amount of copper slip (copper grease) onto the back of the pads where they contact the brake caliper piston and on the pad shims, if present. While this will normally stop the squeal, getting grease on the pads or disks will affect braking performance.

Dust on the brakes may also cause squeal; there are many commercial brake cleaning products that can be used to remove dust and contaminants from the brakes.

Some mid-performance brake pads, such as PFC pads(which also have many debond issues), will always squeal during operation, and this does not indicate a problem.

Apart from noise generated from squeal, brakes may also develop a phenomenon called brake judder or shudder.

This is also a problem with the Mazda3....My dealer says its because of the oxidation build up overnight.....Bunch of bull.....I wake up the whole neignborhood every morning backing out of the garage...
Anthony

antlind said:
This is also a problem with the Mazda3....My dealer says its because of the oxidation build up overnight.....Bunch of bull.....I wake up the whole neignborhood every morning backing out of the garage...
Anthony

on the 3, there's a TSB out that fixes that problem... it uses an update pad which is what the 5 comes with... the 5 "shouldn't" have any problems but somehow a few people do ;)

Same here, only during the initial reverse of the day or after the 5 has sat for awhile. Pretty annoying for a fairly new vehicle !(protest)

3, 5, 6, MPV, Tribute...... there isn't a Mazda out there without brake noise problems.

Funny thing is, only the 5 hasn't been addressed yet.

Mine squeals (kinda like a high pitch moan) when cold backing out for the first time.
Waiting on a fix.....

yup. squeaky brakes in reverse over here, too. it happens once then it's gone. not a big deal for me since i don't have to drive it everyday.

Yeah I think ceramic brake pads are supposed to help out with this. They may cost a little more, but they're worth it.

Same noise happening here with my 2012 mazda3 and i just replaced my brakes with ceramic..its a awful loud noise but only in reverse first initial..anyone find a solution?

Back