Antennae

zr27

Has anyone had a problem with their 5 antennae bending as it is entered and exited from your garage? I asked the local Mazda salesman and he said that Mazda does not make a shorter antennae. I have a standard sized garage. Will I eventually break it? Seems like an oversight on Mazda's part. Anyone?

The CX7 antenna should fit, as should the Honda S2000 antenna. Last I checked the Mazda5 wasn't some weird fluke, it uses the same antenna mount as all the other mazdas.

replace?

Kansei said:
The CX7 antenna should fit, as should the Honda S2000 antenna. Last I checked the Mazda5 wasn't some weird fluke, it uses the same antenna mount as all the other mazdas.

Not sure if I understand. Are you saying that the antennae that came with the vehicle will eventually break and I should try and replace it with the one on the CX7 or Honda 2000?

no, it wont break. you're fine. most people choose to replace it tho. It looks nicer. I have a 4 inch stubby antenna I bought on ebay for my P5. looks great & I lost no reception on the radio...

Ebay 2.5" so it doesn't interfere with anything that might go on racks such as kayaks, cargo box or surfboards. (if you have & use the racks) No loss of reception.

You could always cut a slot in the door, and aim really good when entering.

zr27 said:
Not sure if I understand. Are you saying that the antennae that came with the vehicle will eventually break and I should try and replace it with the one on the CX7 or Honda 2000?

Oh yeah sorry I forgot to answer that part of your question. Yeah, it won't break, if it's like the Protege5 antenna (I think it's the same), it is designed with a flexible joint in it so you shouldn't have a problem.

I actually think I might put my stock antenna back on tonight to relive the memories. I love how it makes the car look like a remote control car :D

Right now I have the Honda S2000 antenna and it's short and also flexible.

It is possible to break the antennas though, I've seen plenty of vdubs with their similar antenna with it permanently bent.. I wouldn't recommend going through a non-touchless car was or anything that'll really squish it down.

Kansei said:
Oh yeah sorry I forgot to answer that part of your question. Yeah, it won't break, if it's like the Protege5 antenna (I think it's the same), it is designed with a flexible joint in it so you shouldn't have a problem.

I actually think I might put my stock antenna back on tonight to relive the memories. I love how it makes the car look like a remote control car :D

It is possible to break the antennas though, I've seen plenty of vdubs with their similar antenna with it permanently bent.. I wouldn't recommend going through a non-touchless car was or anything that'll really squish it down.

Thanks, I have also posted a question to the service department nearby. waiting to hear on thier response. I see someone purchased a short stubby one. ? From where? Is it flush at the bottom like the OEM?

evilmonkeyMSP said:
no, it wont break. you're fine. most people choose to replace it tho. It looks nicer. I have a 4 inch stubby antenna I bought on ebay for my P5. looks great & I lost no reception on the radio...

Thanks for letting me know it won't break. Can you supply me with any info on this? What did I have to look for? I really hate the scrapping noise it makes along the garage door. I wish Mazda would have thought of this....

Kansei said:

What's a vdub?

evilmonkeyMSP said:

I had the same problem with the mazda5 whip antenna. It hit the garage door ever time I entered and exited the gararge. Well after a month it broke off with the threads in the base. I got a screw extractor and was lucky to get it out of base.

I strongly suggest buying this one.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I live in Chicago and get great reception.

back on subject, you may also want to look into one of the sharkfin antenna's. They get good reception and look pretty slick. let me find a link for you..........

zr27 said:
Thanks, I have also posted a question to the service department nearby. waiting to hear on thier response. I see someone purchased a short stubby one. ? From where? Is it flush at the bottom like the OEM?
ebay has all the different ones & yes the 2.5" one I got looks like the bottom of the oem except a little shorter & the mast removed, fits flush with the base part on the car.

olddaddy said:
I had the same problem with the mazda5 whip antenna. It hit the garage door ever time I entered and exited the gararge. Well after a month it broke off with the threads in the base. I got a screw extractor and was lucky to get it out of base.

I strongly suggest buying this one.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I live in Chicago and get great reception.

Thank you!!! That's exactly what I was afraid of. Mazda why did you not think of this? Some of us who are lucky enough to have a garage would like to get them in without having to remove/replace the antennae everyday!

Last edited:
paging_drburgos said:
back on subject, you may also want to look into one of the sharkfin antenna's. They get good reception and look pretty slick. let me find a link for you..........

That would be appreciated, although I am not happy that this was not thought of by Mazda!

Back