Simota CF SRI Filter cleaning

VRMS6

:
2011 Kona Blue Ford Edge Sport
After over 15,000 miles installed on my TGM3 it was time to clean the filter on my Simota CF intake. While I did the cleaning at the dealership I work at all thats really needed are a few basic tools and a filter cleaning kit.
Tools needed are Flat head screwdriver,10mm socket/extension and wrench. Filter cleaning kit,Torx socket and soft bristle brush.

This is a look at the intake assembly installed in my engine bay.
filtercleaning01up1.jpg

First I removed the battery cover and snorkel to facilitate access to the intake assembly.(note I undid both hose clamps but you can get away with just undoing the upper one.
filtercleaning02kg9.jpg

Unplug the MAF sensor wire from the MAF assy
filtercleaning03pv3.jpg

Using a flathead screwdriver undo the hose clamp securing the intake hose to the throttle body.
filtercleaning04ft5.jpg

Using a 10mm socket undo the bolt to the sensor bracket ,(you can see the bolt down from where my finger is), and move the sensor aside.
filtercleaning05ms6.jpg

You should now have a view like this. Grab the CF intake and pull up and off the throttle body gently.
filtercleaning06bq1.jpg

There is a hose connected to the underside of the intake pull hose off fitting freeing intake from car.
filtercleaning07xs2.jpg

Complete intake removed from car. Note stuff a clean rag in throttlebody preventing anything from accidently getting in.
filtercleaning08of9.jpg

Access hole on side of intake permits access to screw to remove filter clamp. You will need a torx bit to undo screw.
filtercleaning09ok0.jpg

Dirty filter removed from intake.
filtercleaning10fm9.jpg

Note first take filter and knock it gently against hard surface to remove dirt. Use soft bristle brush to remove dirt/dust as well.

Use the K&N filter cleaner solution(or whichever filter cleaner you purchased) spray the outside of the filter and let set for 15min... (Here you can swap your summer wheels for your winter set to kill time. Helps greatly to have a lift n air tools for this...)
filtercleaning11fq0.jpg

Filter sprayed with cleaning solution.
filtercleaning12ti5.jpg

After cleaning solution works its magic for the required time take to a sink/hose and with a gentle stream rinse from the inside out. Let air dry after rinsing.Compare to previous pic you can see the filter is clean.
filtercleaning13zg1.jpg

Use the filter oil spray to apply a light coat of filter oil to the filter. The oil is what helps trap dust and still allow the large amounts of air to pass into the intake. DO NOT over oil the filter as the oil can coat/damage your MAF sensor if you do...
filtercleaning14fu3.jpg

After oiling let filter sit for 20 minutes and check that it has a even light coat of oil on it. If there are any dry sections oil them now. Here is a view of cleaned and oiled filter ready for reuse.
filtercleaning15tn1.jpg

Reverse removal instructions to reinstall filter and intake assembly. Remember to remove rag from throttle body before reassembly. Start car and ensure all connections are good. Enjoy another 15,000 miles of trouble free driving from your Simota CF intake....

Disclamer: I DO NOT take responsability if you cant follow simple instructions and damage your car in ay way...;)

No oil would mean that the filter would NOT be effective in traping dust from getting into your engine.

true. i guess i just don't know how to put a little oil on, which is why I got an aem intake with a dryflow filter so i couldn't screw it up..(wink)

i thought this filter was a non oiled filter as it came dry from simota and they specificaly said not to oil it during the whole price fiasco... ??? any thoughts on that tgm3?

i believe he replaced his filter with a K&N... but i am not sure...

i was just wondering on how to clean our simota filters, as i remember mentioning that these dont need oiling...

I sent a email to the retailer for the intake and was told it does need to be oiled. Im going by that info. If it doesnt need to be oiled I see no harm in doing so as I assume it will trap more dust this way...double insurance....Will go see if I can dig up the email I recieved n post it up...hopefully I wasnt given bad info....

mmmm interesting stuff... protophile is now a vendor for simota intakes i am sure we could get him to answer the question or get the correct info...

Back