location for an amp

zr27

Has anyone wired an amplifier to the existing head unit? I would like to know of a good location in the vehicle. On my previous car, I was able to wire the amp under a rear seat. Can't do on this unit. I want to be able to use the versatility of the rear seats folding flat for occational Home Depot runs so wiring to the back is iffy.

Middle row might be your best bet, just make sure to put insulation inbetween the amp and plastic if you mount it in the tray so it doesn't melt.

I mounted mine in the spare tire well, next to the spare tire. My amp is a little pioneer GM-x365 (I think) It's only 13 x 8 so it fit nicely on the ledge just to the left and above the spare tire. Now, the placits tray that covers the tire gets a little warm in that spot, but not warm enough to worry me. Besides Winters comming anyway. I just used 3m Automotive double stick tape to mount it and it seems to be happy in that spot for the last few months

was98strat said:
I mounted mine in the spare tire well, next to the spare tire. My amp is a little pioneer GM-x365 (I think) It's only 13 x 8 so it fit nicely on the ledge just to the left and above the spare tire. Now, the placits tray that covers the tire gets a little warm in that spot, but not warm enough to worry me. Besides Winters comming anyway. I just used 3m Automotive double stick tape to mount it and it seems to be happy in that spot for the last few months
I would not mind seeing how this was done. I have 5 channel amp that is about 16 x 8. In it 's present location under a back seat, in another vehicle, it can get warm. Ever have an overheating problem in that enclosed spot?

wachamacallit said:
have u thought about under the back bucket seats? in the storage trays.

you mean the third row? I think there isn't enough clearance there if the seats are folded.
the second row area I am afraid would be too enclosed and cause overheating.

2cam16 said:
Definitely pics ! I'm interested in this set-up too.

I'll try and grab a pic when it stops raining, currently it's raining so hard, you need scuba tanks to go outside!!

Last edited:
was98strat said:
I'll try and grab a pic when it stops raining, currently it's raining so hard, you need scuba tanks to go outside!!
+1 for anyone on the East Coast today, sheesh

I put mine under the front passenger seat. Very quick and easy, though you are limited in size so I had to go with the Alpine f250.

picture of amp install?

Kid Red said:
I put mine under the front passenger seat. Very quick and easy, though you are limited in size so I had to go with the Alpine f250.

Any pictures on how the install turned out?

Back