Winter Tire - Semperit

i have some on a set of 16" stockers for winter and they performed very well last year in the snow

got lazy and never took them off and used them all summer and will keep them on for this winter again:)

Hmm, not a bad price, Looks like a decent Trad pattern, However, You're only saving $20 ish per tire over a proven bran name like Pirelli's! And you still need to purchas Steelies to put them on! You're not going to run Winters on your Aluminum rims are you??

I got Gyro Mazda in Toronto to quote me Pirelli Winter carving ono 16 inch steelies at 773 installed +tax. Best deal I've found so far!

Do you think it will be easy to find them if you damage one of the tires?
Having said that I would go with more common brand but it's just me.

Well, the Semperits are available in my town, I got a quote as well from a Mazda dealer and the price closest to the Pirellli included a Chinese made tire..hmmmm.
Rims $60.00 a piece and I forgot the price of the tires...
So $680.00 incl install plus taxes..

Medicman said:
Well, the Semperits are available in my town, I got a quote as well from a Mazda dealer and the price closest to the Pirellli included a Chinese made tire..hmmmm.
Rims $60.00 a piece and I forgot the price of the tires...
So $680.00 incl install plus taxes..

that's the same price as Goodyear Nordic's from Crappy Tire. Of course the only real advantage there is national availability. The question you have to ask is, where are you driving to this winter? if its around town where you ca get a replacement, and you're comfortable with an unkown name. then buy them

soulnette said:
I have those tire on 16" steel rim, bought it in St-Eustache, north of Montreal, so far I'm satisfied.

Thanks.. I know the tire dealer personally so I dont think there would be a problem, I am not sold on the Nordic Ice and as well I dont think they are
H rated. I do drive a lot of highway in all weather conditions..
Thanks for the input fellas.

Hey Medicman

Also in the market for snow tires for my wife's 5... and we're in London too! I would really appreciate any information that you can share, both on the steel rims and tires.

My search has just started, so don't know much. My plan was to downsize my 17" factory alloys to 16" steels with 205-55-16 tires, to save some $.

I was considering Costco since they have the $60 off Michelin promotion. But the hub centric vs. lug centric business makes had me worried. I will probably call up Probart Mazda to see what they offer.

Great Tires

I just purchased a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi 205/55/R16 96R on a set of 16" Core Racing Super-Lite Painted Aluminum Wheels (I figured that I went for the Alloy wheels in the first place, so why drive on ugly wheels for 6 months of the year).

The Nokian Hakkepeliitta RSi tires are new and have been getting great reviews. I have been driving on them for the past couple of days and must say that they work great. I had Blizzak WS-50s on my old Saturn and the Nokian handle much better. You do notice the slightly more sluggish take off and steering, but they are much less pronounced than with the Blizzaks. Ice driving is excellent, I have not yet had the opportunity to test them out in deep snow, but living in Edmonton this should not take long.

The only drawback is that they were quite pricey. $200 each plus $100 for the wheel. For a grand total of $1200. But I figured that that gives me some of the top rated winter tires and a nice looking pair of wheels for about $300-400 more than steel wheels and a set of X-ice.

86439 said:
Hey Medicman

Also in the market for snow tires for my wife's 5... and we're in London too! I would really appreciate any information that you can share, both on the steel rims and tires.

My search has just started, so don't know much. My plan was to downsize my 17" factory alloys to 16" steels with 205-55-16 tires, to save some $.

I was considering Costco since they have the $60 off Michelin promotion. But the hub centric vs. lug centric business makes had me worried. I will probably call up Probart Mazda to see what they offer.

Hey there, just got back on after a long bit..
I called Probart Mazda for someone else and they told me it would be
$120.00 per rim only and a set of tires and rims was close to $800.00
I got someone else set up for rims @$65.00 ea plus these Semperit tires at
$110.00 a piece
These Semperits handle really well and are H rated.

Why do people worry about the speed rating of winter tires. H rated tires are stable to 210km/h but no one in there right mind is going to go that fast in the winter on snow! what's up?

thuzil said:
I just purchased a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi 205/55/R16 96R on a set of 16" Core Racing Super-Lite Painted Aluminum Wheels (I figured that I went for the Alloy wheels in the first place, so why drive on ugly wheels for 6 months of the year).

The Nokian Hakkepeliitta RSi tires are new and have been getting great reviews. I have been driving on them for the past couple of days and must say that they work great. I had Blizzak WS-50s on my old Saturn and the Nokian handle much better. You do notice the slightly more sluggish take off and steering, but they are much less pronounced than with the Blizzaks. Ice driving is excellent, I have not yet had the opportunity to test them out in deep snow, but living in Edmonton this should not take long.

The only drawback is that they were quite pricey. $200 each plus $100 for the wheel. For a grand total of $1200. But I figured that that gives me some of the top rated winter tires and a nice looking pair of wheels for about $300-400 more than steel wheels and a set of X-ice.

The RSI's are great I have em on both my 626 and Mazda 5. You won't be disappointed .... do you have a pic of the alloys?

was98strat said:
Why do people worry about the speed rating of winter tires. H rated tires are stable to 210km/h but no one in there right mind is going to go that fast in the winter on snow! what's up?
Snow isn't on the ground all winter.

Trying to avoid the steelie look....

BradC said:
Snow isn't on the ground all winter.

Anyone have any thoughts on Hankook winter tires? I found some at edgeracing.com website for $81 a piece. The price quoted for a set of 4 and some Flik Hornet alloy wheels (painted black) was $718 delivered. Good experiences/ bad w/ these tires? Trying to avoid the steelie look....

hub centric vs. multi-fit

Medicman or Zoom5Zoom -

Do you mind telling me if your steel rims are universal-fit (which I translate to lug centric) rather than OE-fit (hub-centric)?

It seems that nobody can get hub-centric steel wheels for Mazda 5?!

Medicman, do you mind emailing me where you purchased those Semperits tires - kkcyeung@yahoo.ca - many thanks in advance. Probart Mazda claims that they have OE-fit steels, but will only sell them with no name (Firestone) Winterforce tires for $899 a set. I am not sure if those tires are any good...

Is the hub-centric vs. multi-fit rim really important? Can someone please comment on this?

86439 said:
Medicman or Zoom5Zoom -

Is the hub-centric vs. multi-fit rim really important? Can someone please comment on this?

All I can say is that I was holding off for better information on the subject and just quit waiting. Ordered steel wheels with Pirelli Winter Carving tires from Tire Rack. They sent the shipment confirmation within five hours so I'll know soon. I figure it can't be a disaster or Tire Rack wouldn't sell them and someone would already have reported that it doesn't work already. I'll write in when I get them on my wife's Mz5 ("Cinco").

Also I can add that I've never bought winter/snow tires in my life but the stock Toyos are the most awful tires I've ever experienced in the wet, snow, and ice. I might put up with them myself but couldn't let my family use them in the winter, even mild winters like we get here in Minneapolis.

Jon

Fellas,

Here is a pic of the tire and the HUB-CENTRIC wheel as well as a pic with the
hubcaps.

Attachments

• Maza5+hub caps.jpg
    Maza5+hub caps.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    517.2 KB · Views: 290
Back