5 Paint - Complaints?

eclectic

So we traded a GM mini for a new 06 5 in April. 5 months and 5K miles later, I've got to say this is has to be the thinnest factory paint job I've seen.
(omg) Between rock chips, rubs and sap the Pearl White (paid extra - woohoo!) ain't holding up well. Used some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover on a sap spot and now missing top layer of paint on that spot. Very noticeable. Got a 94 Burb that takes road abuse a lot better.

Anyone else have complaints re: their paint jobs? Going to make a formal complaint to the zone rep. Anyone know of any TSBs or Bulletins?

Also, going to the dealer on Friday after finding water under the carpet under the drivers side seat. Carpet's wet from the floor vent to the 2nd row. Anyone else have a similiar problem?

Not bashing, as this is our 3rd Mazda . . . 1 1st gen RX7 and 1 2nd gen RX7.

John

i agree on the paint. i traded in a vw which i thought had wonderful paint. i had gotten 2 chips within the first week. one in the middle of the hood on white, so it shows up. thanks for the fyi on the bug and tar remover. i also noticed streaks on the liftgate of water running down that looks like it discolored the paint a little. i guess i will have to wax it sooner than i thought.

between my wife and I (02 protege5, 03 altima, 05 wrx, 06 mazda5) the paint is pretty thin no matter what make. I'm guessing it's the environmentally friendly paint manufacturers are using these days.

mountjonas said:
I'm guessing it's the environmentally friendly paint manufacturers are using these days.
Bingo!

While no, it won't eliminate them completely, the key to prevention is keeping a safe distance in front of you on the highway. Rocks kicked up in front of you can only stay airborne for so long. Plus, driving this way is safer and more relaxing, too :)

Mazda even says so if you read the manual, haha (RTM)
paintChip.jpg

this seems to be an issue that all people with all Mazdas complain about..

When I was considering buying a Subaru Impreza, guess what all the folks over at NASIOC.com where complaining about...... ..... ;)

(Actually, several there complained of FLAKING paint, so consider yourself lucky!)

iLisa said:
I'm toying with getting a subbie.. :D
If it wasn't for the size, I would've probably bought the 2.5i Wagon. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 5 and it's a great car, but boy oh boy the Impreza's a fun car... and I only test drove the N/A 2.5i :) Supposedly they're VERY reliable too. Leaving the paint issue aside, you can't go wrong with a Scooby

jandree22 said:
If it wasn't for the size, I would've probably bought the 2.5i Wagon. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 5 and it's a great car, but boy oh boy the Impreza's a fun car... and I only test drove the N/A 2.5i :) Supposedly they're VERY reliable too. Leaving the paint issue aside, you can't go wrong with a Scooby
I agree.. Legacy's are VERY fun to drive also (peep)

it must be pretty bad if they put it in the owner's manual. i have never seen that before. i wish i hadn't had paid extra for that paint now.

mz5sc said:
it must be pretty bad if they put it in the owner's manual. i have never seen that before. i wish i hadn't had paid extra for that paint now.
I don't agree with either of these statements. First, the Owner's Manual page before the one I posted explains issues relating to Acid Rain, Bird Droppings, Tree Sap, Waxing/Washing, etc. I don't care what make of car you drive, all of these, including rock chips, are concerns for the paint that one should have knowledge of. I'd say Mazda's stance is more proactive and preventitive than anything.

As far as the Whitewater charge, if you dislike the color choice that's one thing, but don't say you wish you wouldn't have paid the $200 because you're worried about chipping. You'll get the same chipping if it was blue, black, red or poka-dotted. The $200 didn't buy you paint duribility, it bought you paint color.

While all chips should be addressed, it's my understanding that most normal rock chips are only cosmetic as they don't penetrate the primer level, therefore, won't rust. Get wax and touch up paint and you'll be fine.

Used some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover on a sap spot and now missing top layer of paint on that spot.
John

Try Mothers Bug, Bird and Tar Wipes. They work great
and don't mark the paint at all. The Turtle Wax stuff is
horrible! and you really don't want to use it on a sunny
day as it just like wax and streaks.

Cheer,
Robin

jandree22 said:
When I was considering buying a Subaru Impreza, guess what all the folks over at NASIOC.com where complaining about...... ..... ;)

(Actually, several there complained of FLAKING paint, so consider yourself lucky!)
It's true. Even my WRX has the "thin" paint. I don't drive my car much on the freeways so I'm a bit lucky not to have too many chips.
As for the flaking, never heard or seen it.
ILisa, get one if you don't need the space. You WON'T regret it ! :D

so should u get that extra paint chip and dent warrenty that they offer when u get one then i just got mine and my boyfriend just got his speed 6 thursday and they gave us 30 days of scrach and dent removel free, and then offerd extended for a price. should we have gotten it??...lol

wachamacallit said:
so should u get that extra paint chip and dent warrenty that they offer when u get one then i just got mine and my boyfriend just got his speed 6 thursday and they gave us 30 days of scrach and dent removel free, and then offerd extended for a price. should we have gotten it??...lol
NO! Just a scam dealer add-on. Fight the urge (glare)

Get some damn pics up of your 5! There are very few Cardinal Red's around here... and WELCOME!

mountjonas said:
between my wife and I (02 protege5, 03 altima, 05 wrx, 06 mazda5) the paint is pretty thin no matter what make. I'm guessing it's the environmentally friendly paint manufacturers are using these days.

The main problem with paint started in the late 80's when the manufacturers were forced to stop using lead formulated paint. That's why GM, Ford, and Chrysler were painting cars under warranty there for a while. They've still been tweaking the mixtures since and occasionally they get it right and sometimes no....

ok this is getting ridiculous now. Today im going to Mazda for some touch up paint and the rear bumper plastic cover thingy. I have a new nasty rock sized paint chip...about half the size of a dime. I also have a new line on the rear bumper as if i drgagged something along the top. Weird thing about that one is that i dont recall putting anything in the trunk except for grocery bags.
In this day and age with technology being where it is, i cant believe that they cant make friggin paint better.

your going to get paint chips no matter what, i've had my bumper painted twice (after running into stuff) and since i sell paint to body shops i've had them use glasurit base and clear that is oem for benz and even the maybach, and had them even spray extra clear on the bumper. after all of that the extra clear worked a little, but still rock chips all over it, only way to stop it is to get a bra or clear 3m bra.

mickeyreategui said:
your going to get paint chips no matter what, i've had my bumper painted twice (after running into stuff) and since i sell paint to body shops i've had them use glasurit base and clear that is oem for benz and even the maybach, and had them even spray extra clear on the bumper. after all of that the extra clear worked a little, but still rock chips all over it, only way to stop it is to get a bra or clear 3m bra.

hmm maybe since the 80's are back in style i should get a car bra. hahahaha nah i couldnt do that although....nah i cant. So here i come 3M! Thanks for the advice. :)

Back