iPod Link arrives this Wed in Canada

:
2007 Mazda 5 GT MT, 2000 BMW 323 Ci Cabrio.
For those that are looking to get an iPod kit for their Mazdas, my wife called 4 dealerships in the Toronto area, and they all said it was arriving this Wednesday and it would cost $184.00 (Canadian of course)

Unfortunately 1 week too late for our long weekend road trip to NY and PA. I guess I have to burn some CDs :-(

Great News! Is the item IPOD specific, how does it attach, does it display on Mazda 5 Stereo control, dealer install etc. etc. etc. I contacted my local Mazda dealer and they had little info. If you have any further it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Sorry I got no 1st hand info, but based on other threads and on some pics i've seen, this is specific to iPod, but!!! it looks like there is also an Aux port so that you can basically attach any mp3 player, and get it to play on the car system.

But since the charger and controls are specific to iPods, if u want juice and steering wheel controls u'll need an iPod.

Oh yeah, from other threads, there does not seem to be any decent info diplayed on the Car audio display.

Sorry. Thats all I got. Next week I will be going to the dealer to see what else I can find out.

SpeedyZoomZoom said:
For those that are looking to get an iPod kit for their Mazdas, my wife called 4 dealerships in the Toronto area, and they all said it was arriving this Wednesday and it would cost $184.00 (Canadian of course)

Unfortunately 1 week too late for our long weekend road trip to NY and PA. I guess I have to burn some CDs :-(

INDEED IT HAS ARRIVED. I had a kit in my hands and read over the installation proceedure and what it is all about. It works for NAV and NON NAV type Mazda 5's. Cost of unit is indeed 185 CDN and installation I was told is 1.5 Man hours (if you are technically inclinded do it yourself)

The adapter only adapts to "IPOD'S ONLY" like the title says. So if you have a reg MP3 player "NON IPOD" then we will have to find a way to tap into the pin out of the ipod unit lol...

Attachments below are just a few scans of the install and kit info. I have the whole kit install process if you need it please call as I will then only scan it in...

Attachments

• IPod Adapter Page 1.jpg
    IPod Adapter Page 1.jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IPod Adapter Page 2.jpg
    IPod Adapter Page 2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 296
  • IPod Adapter Page 3.jpg
    IPod Adapter Page 3.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 298
  • IPod Adapter Page 4.jpg
    IPod Adapter Page 4.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IPod Adapter Page 5.jpg
    IPod Adapter Page 5.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 231
kamikazzz said:
I found a guy who have it online. I bought the model with USB flash memory and I got a really fast service. It works really good. Very fast installation. It'S very similar of what Mazda dealer module. Look on the web site www.carlinkdirect.com.
I like the option of both direct input or USB attachment .... seems a smarter hook up then that of mazda's as IPOD is the only supported device. JMO

The Mazda IPOD adapter does make use of all the button interfaces of our Head unit on the 5 and audio controls...song change etc. But as a trade off the multi input seems to again be a better buy pending on price..

Last edited:
I installed this kit on my wifes 5 tonite. It took 15 min. Unfortunately, I was again unable to play my music. I starting to think that my Ipod (Mini) has a battery problem, as the instructions say that the Ipod will not play for this reason. I will do a how-to if I ever get this thing to work.

RODSCALIP5 said:
I installed this kit on my wifes 5 tonite. It took 15 min. Unfortunately, I was again unable to play my music. I starting to think that my Ipod (Mini) has a battery problem, as the instructions say that the Ipod will not play for this reason. I will do a how-to if I ever get this thing to work.
Which unit the Mazda IPOD adapter or the other one listed above. In my "scanned" attachements above it states which models of IPODs the Mazda Adapter supports... hope this helps

Mini IPOD Version 1.2 or higher in your case....

Zoom5Zoom said:
Which unit the Mazda IPOD adapter or the other one listed above. In my "scanned" attachements above it states which models of IPODs the Mazda Adapter supports... hope this helps

Mini IPOD Version 1.2 or higher in your case....

Yeah, it was the Mazda Ipod adapter. My Mini is version 1.4, but the battery has drained several times in the past were I had to reset it. I am waiting on my sister to bring her 30 gb Ipod. I will try hers out and hopefully it will work.

Quick question. Does the connector also charge the ipod? I think it does but couldn't figure it out for sure.

Here is an update. I used my sisters 30 gb Ipod and it worked! I am sure all Ipods work, but my Mini was just too used and abused.

Does this plug simply into the back of the head unit? I have auxmod installed, but the diagram looks to be a different port, correct?

rodscalip5- What controls work? Is it just ff and rw? What is displayed on the Mazda's LCD?

i am not very knowledgeable with all this "ipod" but i recently received a new ipod shuffle as a gift that came with a dock. now if i buy this ipod link will i be able to use my shuffle?

RODSCALIP5 said:
Yeah, it was the Mazda Ipod adapter. My Mini is version 1.4, but the battery has drained several times in the past were I had to reset it. I am waiting on my sister to bring her 30 gb Ipod. I will try hers out and hopefully it will work.
I bet you cheated and dropped the glove box and connected to Head unit did you?

did you do the install as recommended in Install instructions with adapter or did you find a easier way? Nice to hear it works well but I am convinced that there is a wire harness what will take not just the IPOD using that kit adapter unit...

Kid Red said:
Does this plug simply into the back of the head unit? I have auxmod installed, but the diagram looks to be a different port, correct?

rodscalip5- What controls work? Is it just ff and rw? What is displayed on the Mazda's LCD?

Yes you connect to the connector box... there is a separate instruction with NAV systems also

Back