need help with boost controlers

menaspeed

ok guys have questions on those of you who had install a boost controler .
i just got my self a msp6 for my birthday an coming from mazda rx8 to Mzda3 S i think this car it's awesome an my line of work i can drive almost any car out there so i have compare lot's of vehicles . am the mazda msp6 was the one for me and love the look on peoples faces when you blow them off . and there faces asking you what type of turbo do you have or where did you get it install . i wana start steping on my work on this car so far i got the cpe intake and cpe blow valve and i got a local shop to build me an exhaust similar to the cpe but with dual pipes instead of single . i just wana know what can i boost on this car with out getting in danger zone damaging the motor how many more psi can i boost and if what type of boost controllers do you guys have and which one will you recomend . i will apreciate all your help

Keep the boost pressure at stock levels, but have it hold boost to redline.

Speed6 Guy said:
I would not use a manual boost controler. Your asking for boost spike with that.
I agree...Ive spoke with several different speed shops in the milwaukee and chicago area and they all agree. A boost controller is not the answer. It will only blow hot air. I had the turbo smart man boost controler and It didnt change anything. The turbo is to small....I havent seen any time slips or dynos to prove that the boost controler will change anything and to those who claim it changes enough to feel I say prove it, either with a dyno showing gains of more than 5whp and/or a time slip at stock boost levels and a time slip at 17psi or as they claim holding to redline. If your car is stock now a boost controler isnt going to change anything...trust me. Want more boost? Buy a bigger turbo, I spoke with CPE and the piggy back system for our ecu will be out by spring07. They told me they saw gains of 24whp by turning the timing back...how much I dont know? But tuning this car will be alot safer and will increase performance far more than hookin up a boost controler and detonating your engine because you hit the fuel cutoff(by the way it is 18psi).

i just installed the greddy profec b spec II electronic boost controller and the turbo is too small to hold boost to redline. I was very dissapointed. i'm at 16.2 psi and it really doen't feel that much faster, if any. you are better off getting a bigger turbo.

I don't know why you would even bother with a boost controller before you have an intake and a full turbo back exaust.

After I installed those three parts a boost controller was a necessity(I also installed a wideband O2 at the same time). I was spiking to 22~23 psi all day long when the stock computer had control of things--I never hit boost cut, but I'm sure the car was pulling timing, and the turbo was taking a beating, because of the huge spike. Now that I have the boost controller installed I never spike above 19 psi and it will gradually settle back down to about 17 psi, dropping to 15 psi at redline. I have noticed a big increase in power on the top end since the install.

ssinstaller said:
I don't know why you would even bother with a boost controller before you have an intake and a full turbo back exaust.

After I installed those three parts a boost controller was a necessity(I also installed a wideband O2 at the same time). I was spiking to 22~23 psi all day long when the stock computer had control of things--I never hit boost cut, but I'm sure the car was pulling timing, and the turbo was taking a beating, because of the huge spike. Now that I have the boost controller installed I never spike above 19 psi and it will gradually settle back down to about 17 psi, dropping to 15 psi at redline. I have noticed a big increase in power on the top end since the install.

i have to get me a boost controller lol, i've read that it helps a lot on the top end

boostdog said:
So which is it? get a bc or not? some say yes others say no

Don't get a boost controller until you've done everything you can to improve airflow to, and from, the turbo.

Get an intake, an exaust, a downpipe, a BOV, and then get wideband O2/guage, then get a boost controller.

Back