Yes, another CAI post :) ... but a better one

The best CAI:

• Total voters

Dooby

Ok guys, I have read CAI posts for the last couple weeks and have not come to a conclusion as the info is just to spread out. I want to get one soon, so I am trying to compare everything. I am looking at the

-AEM
-MAZDA
-CPE
The info I am looking for is:

-The diameter of all three (CPE - heard 3" except 2.5" at MAF?)
-MAF placement/ Diameter at MAF
-CEL (seems like all three OK?)
-CONS/ Future restrictions. I have heard that CPE may have a MAF customizer later so I am thinking about that as well. For instance, a 3" intake would probably perform better if the fuel ratios are corrected. Until then, a CEL would probably exist since it seems like the ECU needs the 2.5" diameter like CPE created at the sensor.

I don't want to buy one now then have to buy a better one later once the MAF customizer comes out... so any info on that would be good as well.

Dooby said:
Ok guys, I have read CAI posts for the last couple weeks and have not come to a conclusion as the info is just to spread out. I want to get one soon, so I am trying to compare everything. I am looking at the

-AEM
-MAZDA
-CPE
The info I am looking for is:

-The diameter of all three (CPE - heard 3" except 2.5" at MAF?)
-MAF placement/ Diameter at MAF
-CEL (seems like all three OK?)
-CONS/ Future restrictions. I have heard that CPE may have a MAF customizer later so I am thinking about that as well. For instance, a 3" intake would probably perform better if the fuel ratios are corrected. Until then, a CEL would probably exist since it seems like the ECU needs the 2.5" diameter like CPE created at the sensor.

I don't want to buy one now then have to buy a better one later once the MAF customizer comes out... so any info on that would be good as well.

ok, i got a cheap ass CAI, becuase they all work the same. well except for the cp-e one your talking about. becuase that one is defiantelly better performance wise, and yes i also heard you could customize it to your specs or whatever. but i have a bomz CAI (they make spoilers mainly), got it off ebay for 60 bucks. 3". works great. never had a CEL. you could always buy a bigger mass air flow sensor, think horsepowerfreaks.com has one. not sure if its made exacylt for the 6, but im sure itd fit. im going to get that and then either send my ECU to jet to reprogram or have someone local do it(just gotta find someone) neways, a CAI, is a CAI. so unless your gonna get the cp-e buy the cheapest one you can find. and if you dont have cat-back exhaust the CAI isnt gonna perform as well. Hope that helped.

Also, if you care about the warranty at all, you may want to go with the Mazdaspeed CAI, as the dealer won't give you any problems. With the others, it may be a different story.

Just like to chime in for the quality of different makes for the CAI.

Just installed a mate's AEM and for that matter the Mazdaspeed as well. I find comparing to the CP-E's that I have, the CP-E's is made with more precision and details, also it is a real one piece pipework where the other is two pieces joined together with silicon rubber. I don't think it is a great deal in terms of power gains but if you are the ones that like to go into details of design, then spending the extra may worth the money. Otherwise the other just do the job just as well I guess.

Mazda doesn't care what CAI you use. It's up to each individual dealer, and the dealer would have to be complete aholes to void any warranty work because you have a CAI. Besides you can just go to another dealer.

Be careful with that because if your dealer does deside to be a dick they can flag your car. Which means any dealer that types in you VIN will know that you have been flagged and most likely not work on your car unless you pay them to do so.

jhowey said:
Be careful with that because if your dealer does deside to be a dick they can flag your car. Which means any dealer that types in you VIN will know that you have been flagged and most likely not work on your car unless you pay them to do so.

i was told when i bought my 6i that it would void the warranty to put a CAI on, lol and that info was from my mom. she sold me the car. s***, i did it neways, but is this false info? cuz ive been scared ever since to get the free 3000 mile oil change, cuz the mod.

more low end torque?

Any ideas how I can produce some more low end torque for my 04 mazda 6s wagon 3.0? Anyone?

check with your dealer, however with the mazdaspeed CAI they CAN NOT void your warranty, but you may have to have the dealer install it in order for the warranty to stand.

Like everyone has said, its dealer specific.... but atleast with the mazdaspeed one if you go about it the RIGHT way, warranty will stand.

Just annonymously call your dealership and ask if a CAI will void your warranty or not. Thats what I would do.

Sean

The Mazdaspeed intake will not void your warranty but the others most likely will. But if you do all the service your self then just put it on and then if something happens put the factory stuff back on and bring it in. Problem solved.

Wow. First off I'm confused, what application are we talking about here? MS6 or naturally aspirated V6 or I4.

double check with the dealers, but wastn a law passed a few years back. The ontl way a mod can void your warranty ids if they can prove that it was the fault! LIke since you have an intake, they cant void your warranty on a bad clutch.
They probably can if your intake leaned the motor out fto far and messed it up.

But the mazdaspeed one mor ethan likely will not void if you pay the amoutn of them to install. cause if you do, they can say you didnt do it right, or werent ccertified and void.

Jesus.. with the warranty s***...

If your CAI breaks... they won't warranty it.. why? Because its not their ****** problem.. You installed it.. you modded it.. you deal with it...

If your axel breaks... You could have new paint.. CAI.... painted valve cover... Fireworks attached to the trunklid... doesn't ****** matter.... THey fix axel.. if its a defective part under warranty...

If you have CEL's... or anythinge else that "could" be related to a CAI... you might have to fight with them a bit...

Don't mean to come off as an ass about this... But everyone is so crazy about it... Read up on the laws... Dealerships know about them.. trust me... They won't refuse service and warranty work.. unless they can honestly say... its probably because of your mod...

90% of warranty work that I hear about is from random things "breaking"... If your tranny has issues.. CAI won't have anything to do with it... if your window seal is bad... CAI won't have anything to do with it...

If a valve spring... or rod.. or piston.. or whatever breaks... goes bad.. has problems... well CAI is part of that system... so they could question it...

Back