Mazda5 Door Tweeter Installation

Zoom5Zoom

:
Mazda 5 GS 5MT
Well after having read all the posts of other mazda products I discovered our Mazda 5's have pre-wired tweeter wires waiting for some hot tweeters(for those of us with no tweeters).

Part Numbers used:
C236-69-111 Garnish Right
C236-69-171 Garnish Left
C239-66-960 Speaker Tweeter (Qty 2)

Total Cost:

Approx 100 bux Canadian
Labour ZERO

Time To do:

20 Min on first one.

I enjoyed doing this mod as I found whenever I was in a GT model with Tweeters the sound was just that much better to listen too. So I wanted my own. Did some research and found that it was quite easy to do and sounds great.

I have posted before and after pics on this thumbnail but also put all pics on URL link

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/Zoom5Zoom/

Enjoy and give me a shout if you have questions

Attachments

• Before Shot.JPG
    Before Shot.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 457
  • After Shot.JPG
    After Shot.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
Very Cool

Zoom5Zoom said:
Well after having read all the posts of other mazda products I discovered our Mazda 5's have pre-wired tweeter wires waiting for some hot tweeters(for those of us with no tweeters).

Part Numbers used:
C236-69-111 Garnish Right
C236-69-171 Garnish Left
C239-66-960 Speaker Tweeter (Qty 2)

Total Cost:

Approx 100 bux Canadian
Labour ZERO

Time To do:

20 Min on first one.

I enjoyed doing this mod as I found whenever I was in a GT model with Tweeters the sound was just that much better to listen too. So I wanted my own. Did some research and found that it was quite easy to do and sounds great.

I have posted before and after pics on this thumbnail but also put all pics on URL link

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/Zoom5Zoom/

Enjoy and give me a shout if you have questions

I was wondering whether this would be easy. Now I know. On the phone with my parts department now. Thanks for the info.

Damn

Antonio DiMarco said:
I was wondering whether this would be easy. Now I know. On the phone with my parts department now. Thanks for the info.

They're not yet available in the US. Mid October ETA for Tweets, TBA on Garnishes.

Price in MA, USA is...

Antonio DiMarco said:
They're not yet available in the US. Mid October ETA for Tweets, TBA on Garnishes.
...$17.00 each for the garnishes and $36 each for the tweeters.

So $70 total? or $106 total? I'm just thinking it might a better upgrade to buy a set of aftermarket components and drill holes in your stock panels for the tweeters. For example, the Infinity Reference 6810cs component set is only $160 and would be a huge improvement over stock.

That is weak to drill holes. The replacement garnishes come with molded fittings for the tweeters which in turn have plastic molding to mate too. Secondly the tweeters come with the "proper" mating connector to the factory wiring harness as shown.

KISS works for me

Thank you for the offer but...

Zoom5Zoom said:
If you want em sent from canada let me know lol... we are just a tweeter away

...my wife asked that I hold off until the end of Oct. Plus I like giving my dealer the business. Thank you again.

KISS works for me too.

Zoom5Zoom said:
That is weak to drill holes. The replacement garnishes come with molded fittings for the tweeters which in turn have plastic molding to mate too. Secondly the tweeters come with the "proper" mating connector to the factory wiring harness as shown.

KISS works for me

I think the Mazda system sound good enough not to worry about going through the headaches of modification- especially if it means hurting the sexy interior design.

Believe me I've purchased more gear from Crutchfield over the years, but in this case I think all the work would and money would constitute a marginal improvement. I'm also not a bass freek. I'm into 80's alternative (New Order, the Smiths, DM etc), Jazz and Orchestral music, so the Ford Sanyo system sound damned good.

I enjoy my 3S system with the tweeters. The 5 Sport only has the 5 x 7's in the doors and it sounds muffled to me. The tweeters will give the warm sound just enough sparkle.

Last edited:
chuyler1 said:
So $70 total? or $106 total? I'm just thinking it might a better upgrade to buy a set of aftermarket components and drill holes in your stock panels for the tweeters. For example, the Infinity Reference 6810cs component set is only $160 and would be a huge improvement over stock.

$106 total.

Yeah but installing the Infinity's would cost 160 AND time for my labor. When I was single I could/would spend an entire weekend installing audio systems in my cars. Now my two boys and wife come first- and quite honestly I'm getting too old for that pulling panels and running wire :).

Pulling the garnishes and replacing them with the new tweeters/garnishes would literally take 5 minutes of my time.

Last edited:
My wife would argue otherwise :)

Zoom5Zoom said:
Here Here (drinks)

We are not getting older we are getting wiser....

But yes, it's funny how priorities change. Anyway, unlike many people on this forum I actually think the Ford/Sanyo system sounds damned good. It won't break the windows or pop welds but it's musically satisfying for what I listen to.

Hate to burst both your bubbles, but it'a a Panasonic unit in EVERYTHING mazda makes now.

Evidence? Maybe Panny for the GPS

Benfolio said:
Hate to burst both your bubbles, but it'a a Panasonic unit in EVERYTHING mazda makes now.

I know Panny supplies the GPS unit, but what evidence do you have that the stereo is a panny unit? Everyone I've talked to says it's FMS, in fact if Memory serves the unit in my 2001 ES was an FMS.

So all the wires are there and they put +106$ in the canadian GT. Wow, just Wow. Talk about a way to save peanuts.

Hey Z5Z, when will you be ordering your electric motors for the sliding doors ;) lol...

P_bouchr said:
So all the wires are there and they put +106$ in the canadian GT. Wow, just Wow. Talk about a way to save peanuts.

Hey Z5Z, when will you be ordering your electric motors for the sliding doors ;) lol...
I already have them installed....lol

Next heated mirrors replace the glass

Zoom5Zoom said:
I already have them installed....lol

Next heated mirrors replace the glass

What's involved in putting on heated mirrors? How much does the hardware cost? Do you have part numbers?

John

Back