Second turbo?

JokerFMJ

I was reading an article that said this:

The Speed6s 2.3L turbo DOHC in-line four pumps out 274 hp @ 5500rpm. Thats a lot of horses for a mid-sized four-door. But roll on the gas and nothing. Goose the revs above 3500 rpm and 280 foot pounds of torque comes on like a fire hose. If Mazda added a second, smaller turbo or figured out how to make this sucker spool-up faster (call Porsche), the Speed6 could shave a half second or more from its 5.4 second sprint to sixty. That's WRX country, and not a bad place to live.

I was wondering if it was possible to add a second turbo?

Doubt there is really enough room under the hood to make a twin turbo Mazda 6. I sure would be impressed if someone could pull it off though. I'm sure it would be real damn fast!!!

i think there should be a DISI turbo swap into a protege... just for kicks

What really would a second turbo do? You only have 4cyls and can only push in so much air and get some much air out of the cyl. If that was the case they could always do something like the RX7 twinturbo were it uses a common housing. Again there isn't really a point to it if they are saying boost doesn't come on soon enough or getting torque off the line. I'd say part of it is how Mazda programmed the ECM so you don't get full boost in certain gears or at certain speeds so not to loose traction. The Porsche comment was to VTG which is actually an old technology that is just being reintroduced. VTG ( variable turbo geometry) has fins on the exhaust housing that either steer exhaust gas towards or away from the exhaust impellar of the turbo. These fins replace the job of the wastegate. So at lower rpm it can direct more gas towards the exhaust impellar for quicker spool ups. This technology was first used in car in 1989 on the Shelby Dodge Csx but it was called a VNT (variable nozzle turbo). On the new 911 turbo is uses these VTG turbos. I believe Acura is using their version on the new RDX which does this on the compressor side.

^ werd. if the turbos were a wee bit smaller than stock, maybe you could do two, but there really is no point. if you got your hands on an open downpipe, it'd probably help a lot on spool up time

I heard the Acura RDX turbo is made by Mitsubishi.
Also the turbos on our cars (Speed6) are Single scroll, So just going to a twin scroll might help. But I agree about the Software set-up in the ECU.
I would free up intake and exhaust first, this includes the replacing the Top mount, for a Front mount then try the ECU tuning before going for a bigger turbo.

I have seen a twin-turbo Mazda 6s... custom job will blow the doors off of an MS6. Just for all you people who don't think twin turbo's can be done in 6...

lisevolution said:
I have seen a twin-turbo Mazda 6s... custom job will blow the doors off of an MS6. Just for all you people who don't think twin turbo's can be done in 6...

(nervous)

lisevolution said:

I've probably seen the same car as you. The one Wagner did. Wagner abandoned the project, and from what I recall when speaking to the owner, it didn't make enough power to beat the MS6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ladyspeed6 said:
I heard the Acura RDX turbo is made by Mitsubishi.
Also the turbos on our cars (Speed6) are Single scroll, So just going to a twin scroll might help. But I agree about the Software set-up in the ECU.
I would free up intake and exhaust first, this includes the replacing the Top mount, for a Front mount then try the ECU tuning before going for a bigger turbo.

I know Garret made the turbos for Dodge/Shelby in the T25 and the upgrade is a T28. Not sure what Porsche or Acura use for their.

I always wondered why Mazda didn't make the MS6 with a front mount intercooler. They redesigned the front bumper cover with that enormous lower grille and didn't put anything behind it. I think a lot of the lack of acceleration problems and misfires wouldn't exist if they would have done that. The only reason I can think of why they did the top mount is that it makes that engine more modular so that it can be interchanged into any of their new cars.

The reason why Mazda didnt go with the FMIC is they want to eliminate the turbo lag... Yes we still have the lag, but with the Direct Injection technology and a TMIC, the lag is greatly reduced, well also a small turbo.. haha..

Ya it's a bit easier for them to use a TMIC and fit that motor into other vehicles, like the MS3, and the CX-7. Who knows where we will see this motor next. Anyone wanna put it into their Mazda 5???

Renesis8 said:
The reason why Mazda didnt go with the FMIC is they want to eliminate the turbo lag... Yes we still have the lag, but with the Direct Injection technology and a TMIC, the lag is greatly reduced, well also a small turbo.. haha..

The Audi A3, and A4 with 2.0T FSI both have front mounts and don't have problems with turbo lag. Any turbo car you are going to get some, but compared to a lot of cars the 2.0T FSI spools pretty quick.

psi365 said:
The Audi A3, and A4 with 2.0T FSI both have front mounts and don't have problems with turbo lag. Any turbo car you are going to get some, but compared to a lot of cars the 2.0T FSI spools pretty quick.

yeah you right i have the A4 and the turbo spools fast,just wonder is the DISI same as the FSI technology??

spike blue said:
yeah you right i have the A4 and the turbo spools fast,just wonder is the DISI same as the FSI technology??

Same stuff different name. FSI= Fuel Straight Injection or Fuel Stratified Injection(we don't get the stratified mode so they changed the name). Audi wanted to be the first to introduce a FSI turbo car so they rushed teh A3 out with the 2.0T FSI. There are a couple of things I am not sure if MAzda uses that Audi does like tumble flaps in the intake. Then again I don't know any Mazda techs either.

Back