Alum/rims/Bliz/ LM-25s $1065 Deliv.+ get $50 rebate

Apple Guy

I just bought new 17 inch aluminum rims and 205 VR 50/17 Blizzak LM-25s mounted and balanced and delivered for $1065 PLUS I get a $50 rebate from Bridgestone. So total out of pocket will be $ 1015.00. I bought them from Tire Rack.com

I thought about saving more money by going to the 16 inch rim combo for our 2006 Mazda 5 Touring , but the whole " look " of the car would look too different with the smallish rims. It is my wifes car and I know she would hate the smaller rims so I spent the extra $100 so it would look better. The winter tire combo will be on the car for 5 mouths here in Minnesota. Why not make the car look nice.

Last edited:
Apple Guy said:
I just bought new 17 inch aluminum rims and 205 VR 50/17 Blizzak LM-25s mounted and balanced and delivered for $1065 PLUS I get a $50 rebate from Bridgestone. So total out of pocket will be $ 1015.00. I bought them from Tire Rack.com

I thought about saving more money by going to the 16 inch rim combo for our 2006 Mazda 5 Touring , but the whole " look " of the car would look too different with the smallish rims. It is my wifes car and I know she would hate the smaller rims so I spent the extra $100 so it would look better. The winter tire combo will be on the car for 5 mouths here in Minnesota. Why not make the car look nice.

Im glad we don't have to deal with changing to a winter set up here in cali.. it can get quite expensive i see.

Apple Guy said:

I ordered these rims/tires on Sunday night from Tire Rack.com and received them on Wed. A three day turn around, not bad. (Indiana to Minnesota) I was impressed on the quality of the rims for a $109. They all balanced up with very very little weight. The rims were covered with 2 layers of thick cardboard and foam in between the board and the rim. 5 sets of strapping plastic bands were taped to the tires and cardboard and the centering ring and lug nuts where in a box glued to the backside cardboard ring and place facing the inside of the rim. They spent time on these rims. Very well done shipping packaging.

Pictures please :), I am considering doing the same thing here in Michigan and would like to see the setup you went with.
Thanks,
Opus

Just put them on last night. I needed to spot undercoat the car before it snowed last night here in Minnesota. My car had no undercoating in the rear wheel wells around the lip of the curled under outside fender and spots in the front and rear wells. Plus, no coating in where the rear trailing arms attach and the rear bumper, bumper strut welds. The pics are bad, but they will give you an idea.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    690 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    725.9 KB · Views: 184
First impression of these tires on a non snow surface. They handle better then the Toyo's, even though they are fully siypt (sp?) The Toyo's squeal on turns, theses Blizzak's don't. The new tires have a quicker back and forth responds. I was running the Toyo's at 38 psi. Max is 44 psi I am running the Blizzak's with 45 psi. Max is 50. They seem to grip better in some hard hitting exit ramp cornering, but I will only push them so far because I don't want to round out my winter tires. So far, I am happy with my choice. Let the snow fall !!! ( after all my leaves fall of course!)

Apple Guy said:
Just put them on last night. I needed to spot undercoat the car before it snowed last night here in Minnesota. My car had no undercoating in the rear wheel wells around the lip of the curled under outside fender and spots in the front and rear wells. Plus, no coating in where the rear trailing arms attach and the rear bumper, bumper strut welds. The pics are bad, but they will give you an idea.

Are those wheels steel or alloy? I am in the market for some winter tires and when I spoke with Tirerack they did not seem to have any. Can you provide some model number info so when I call them back I can mention it. Also, I posted a note about the weight difference between the steel and alloy. Is there much difference. A Mazda service manager that I spoke with mentioned that some steel wheels are too heavy and that the bearing may wear prematurely. Your thoughts?

Here is a link. I went to tirerack.com Put in Mazda 5 into their car listing then. Here is the "tree" Mazda 5 >touring>winter and tire packages>17 inch packages>skip to wheels>alloy rims and this is what you get

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterWheels.jsp?display=alloy#results_top

As per Mazda guys comment, the very very small and minuet difference in weight makes a difference in sprung and unsprung weight in a race car and studder bumps on a race track, it has no difference or added stress to bearings on your family car. Going around a 90 deg corner or exit ramp with a 3000lb car puts LOAD on bearings, a spinning wheel with a micro more weight does nothing to a wheel bearing. If you had 100% GOLD rims maybe I would consider his comments because of gyro effect loads

Last edited:
Apple Guy said:
Here is a link. I went to tirerack.com Put in Mazda 5 into their car listing then. Here is the "tree" Mazda 5 >touring>winter and tire packages>17 inch packages>skip to wheels>alloy rims and this is what you get

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterWheels.jsp?display=alloy#results_top

As per Mazda guys comment, the very very small and minuet difference in weight makes a difference in sprung and unsprung weight in a race car and studder bumps on a race track, it has no difference or added stress to bearings on your family car. Going around a 90 deg corner or exit ramp with a 3000lb car puts LOAD on bearings, a spinning wheel with a micro more weight does nothing to a wheel bearing. If you had 100% GOLD rims maybe I would consider his comments because of gyro effect loads

Thank you.

Apple Guy said:
I thought about saving more money by going to the 16 inch rim combo for our 2006 Mazda 5 Touring , but the whole " look " of the car would look too different with the smallish rims.

Besides the cost saving, is there any reason to downsize to 16 inch for winter tires? Any issues regarding performance or safety, for instance?

geezerz99 said:
Im glad we don't have to deal with changing to a winter set up here in cali.. it can get quite expensive i see.

you get twice the usage out of your regular tires if you have the snows on for alomst half a year.........

the only diff is the price of the rims!

-R

^^ I still only managed to get one summer out of my Kumho Ecsta MX, even though I swapped them out in the winter :p. That logic does work though, but most people are scared off by the initial cost of another set of wheels and tires vs. just buying all-seasons.

Latest posts

Back