Check Engine Light

gen1pro

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
Now I know that there are many reasons this light could come on but I've had the car for a week and I'm at 521 miles and today it came on. It was sitting for about 6 hours and I went to drive it and all of a sudden it comes on. It seems to drive fine though but I have to wait until Tuesday to get it checked out. Is it possible that bad gas could cause this.

gen1pro said:
Now I know that there are many reasons this light could come on but I've had the car for a week and I'm at 521 miles and today it came on. It was sitting for about 6 hours and I went to drive it and all of a sudden it comes on. It seems to drive fine though but I have to wait until Tuesday to get it checked out. Is it possible that bad gas could cause this.

I doubt bad gas will set off the cel, but I could be wrong because supposedly the MS6 demands 93 and no less than 93. I'm guessing it's probably your gas cap. Try screwing the fuel cap off then back on tight, the light should go off. Your car seems waaaaaay too new for a cel to pop up. Anyway try that then get back us. Adios for now!

I tried the gas cap last night and it didn't resolve the issue. I'm going to go in the morning and fill up and see if that does it.

gen1pro said:
I tried the gas cap last night and it didn't resolve the issue. I'm going to go in the morning and fill up and see if that does it.

Sounds like a plan, I'm sure it's nothing really. The cel probably just needs to be reset...you're under warranty so no worries. How do you like your ms6? I test drove one a couple weeks ago, but I love the msp too much to get rid of it.

VermZ06 said:
Sounds like a plan, I'm sure it's nothing really. The cel probably just needs to be reset...you're under warranty so no worries. How do you like your ms6? I test drove one a couple weeks ago, but I love the msp too much to get rid of it.

Yeah i really like the MS6 but it was definitely hard to let go of the MSP. If Mazda would have started the MSP with the engine thats in the MS6 and MS3 I would have never traded it in. But oh well I have a new project to play with.

Well I went to the gas station and filled it up, made sure the gas cap was tight and started the car and the light was still on. So off to the dealer I go, probabl first thing Monday morning.

Don't feel alone - I had only 250 miles when I tripped a CEL also. For me, it was not a gas cap. The car actually had some repairs done to it. I could have screamed. Turned out to be "Purge Valve" and "Leak Detection Pump". I think I read somewhere else online here that someone else had the same problem. I am curious to find out if the same will hold true for you.

Give us a shout when you know what is wrong.

M

^from what ive read, mazda has had many problems with the evap system on the ms6's. id take it back to the dealer

Well I took it to the dealer today and they said that it came on because of the flash that needed to be done. So 45 minutes later it was completed. Can't really notice anything different with the flash but at least the check engine light is gone.

How do you spell "bulls***"? :bs:

gen1pro said:
Well I took it to the dealer today and they said that it came on because of the flash that needed to be done. So 45 minutes later it was completed. Can't really notice anything different with the flash but at least the check engine light is gone.

Mgkdrgn said:
How do you spell "bulls***"? :bs:

I felt the same way. It was probably the gas cap that caused it and it needed to be reset. But whatever, my light is gone and I had the car back right away so I'm happy.

So, what are your feelings on "the flash". I'm still debating on getting it done or not.

Whats your high end acceleration like now?

gen1pro said:
I felt the same way. It was probably the gas cap that caused it and it needed to be reset. But whatever, my light is gone and I had the car back right away so I'm happy.

To me it just doesn't feel right but because I had no monitoring devices before hand it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Buddy of mine had this happen as well. It was his gas cap... but he was told to fix the cap and wait a day or two. I guess it just takes some time for the ECU to see the correction.

same thing happened to me. PCM something or other...the flash.

FYI, if you ever do the gas cap trick and screw and get a CEL, this has to be cleared by the dealer also. Putting the cap back on right doesn't fix it.

Newf said:
same thing happened to me. PCM something or other...the flash.

FYI, if you ever do the gas cap trick and screw and get a CEL, this has to be cleared by the dealer also. Putting the cap back on right doesn't fix it.

That is my understanding also....I had the same issue, tech said the system use to retest and reset itself on that code, but now its a dealer clear only.

For the record...the reflash sucks!

Latest posts

Back