Replacing HU in MS6

brianseto

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the HU in their MS6? I realize that it wouldn't be a total replacement because the climate control display and the HU display are one and the same.

If anyone has replaced it, can you please post pics? Where does it go? Where the nav should be? Also, is it a job that you can do yourself? (I was thinking about doing Crutchfield, because they give you free wiring harnesses and stuff.) I would like to upgrade the HU to an HD Radio one, and at the bare minimum, an MP3 CD player. I also would like to preserve the steering wheel controls.

Next step after that is to replace the subwoofer.

Thanks in advance
Bri

Unfortunately the metra kit will not work. They have not come out with an '06 kit let alone an ms6 one, so unless you do a custom install there are no kits out to replace the HU. Also, brian please delete the other two threads you made, thanks.

Cool.

Sorry about the triple post...it was an accident...my connection was having issues, so I submitted multiple times.

Errr...how do I delete the extra threads? When I click on the message to edit, I don't get the option to delete.

Last edited:
brianseto said:
Cool.

Sorry about the triple post...it was an accident...my connection was having issues, so I submitted multiple times.

Errr...how do I delete the extra threads? When I click on the message to edit, I don't get the option to delete.

Taken care of.

R

So you're telling me that NO one has replaced the HU?(omg)

Basically, do the climate controls HAVE to be removed to install a new HU?
(it DOES appear that the radio is separate... but I'm not an expert.)

I went through the same thing and I am afraid I have bad news for you.

There is no easy way to replace the headunit in the MS6, the BOSE system and the interior are working against you.

I wouldn't count on Metra bringing an '06 kit to market that matches the Speed 6 interior.

The current Metra kit will not work with any '06 Mazda 6 models with auto climate control

And even though it looks as though the radio is a seperate piece, you will lose the climate control portions of the display if you try to remove it.

So you have options.

1. Install a headunit in the pocket, glovebox, or somewhere else and wire it into your system (the bose amp being another problem all together)

2. Go with an interface like a Rockford 3sixty.1 or 3sixty.2, something from Audio Control, or some other pre-amp. I am going down the 3sixty.2 road myself.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

when I had my first in the seat glance of the MS6 I wondered how any aftermarket hu was gunna be integrated... Only thing you could do currently is simply wire in and pull the signal out and convert to RCA and run everything off OEM head.

Any idea how much of a problem the Bose amp would be, I was thinking of just using my Alpine amps with speaker level leads instead of the RCA inputs since the stock head unit does not have any.
Then feed off the four channel into my mono sub amp for its signal. I figure the speaker replacement should not be to bad, I am going to install my Polk components in the front and matching rear 2 ways.

You do not need to use a LOC convertor and you can with very inexpensive parts convert the outputs of your headunit into a pre-amp out. This is the preferred way to do it. Just make sure you get the signal pre-BOSE amp as if you get it after the amp, not only will it be powered, it will have the nasty BOSE EQ applied that will make your new speakers sound awful.

Having been through this I can tell you there is a lot of conflicting information out there about using the BOSE system and which wires are which.

Some threads have information listed in them that is flat out wrong.

This thread, has a fantastic chart in the first post, that I can confirm is absolutely correct as far as the BOSE system is concerned

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=42447

Here is the attachment

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?act=...ost&id=8145

Now... Please see my thread on my stereo install for details about how to turn your BOSE headunit into a headunit with Pre-amp outputs. You can tap either behind the headunit or at the BOSE amp on the input side of things.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123641984

I chose to wire in my pre-amp outputs directly behind the headunit, but you can place them at the input to the BOSE amplifier under the seat if you wish. I highly recommend that you solder, not quick tap, or crimp connector, or anything else to create RCA pre-out's to hook up to the inputs on your amplifier.

Soldering in RCA connectors like I did, or splicing in the ends of your cable is the best way to go, no LOC necessary to introduce noise in the system.

For the record here are the wiring colors at the BOSE amplifier harness as seen in the diagram.

Headunit Preamp outputs (BOSE amplifier input)
RR- Green
RR+ Black
FR- White
FR+ Red
LR- Red
LR+ White
LF- Black
LF+ Green

You will notice that although this is 8 wires, it's only 4 different colors, that is why it is sooo important to look at the wire position in the diagram that I llinked too. This diagram not only gives you colors, it gives position in the harness.

The colors are the same at the harness behind the headunit, only in different positions because it's a different connector. Again, this is available in the image attachment I posted above.

I spoke to a guy at Crutchfield and he was telling me to hook up "after" the amp because the signal on the pre-amp side was very weak. I purchased a Scosche
converter to break the signal down to RCA's to send the signal to my aftermarket amps, when I asked about the Bose amp messing with the sound quality on my amps he said it would not be a problem because the converter would be breaking down the signal...which is right?? Can I hook up pre-amp and get enough signal strength?

P.S. I am more interested in quality of sound, not just high volume levels.

mazspd6 said:
I spoke to a guy at Crutchfield and he was telling me to hook up "after" the amp because the signal on the pre-amp side was very weak. I purchased a Scosche
converter to break the signal down to RCA's to send the signal to my aftermarket amps, when I asked about the Bose amp messing with the sound quality on my amps he said it would not be a problem because the converter would be breaking down the signal...which is right?? Can I hook up pre-amp and get enough signal strength?

P.S. I am more interested in quality of sound, not just high volume levels.

He is correct with the poor signal coming before the Bose amp. I'm using a Audiocontrol LC6 and a EQX. Even with the LC6 the gains are pretty much maxed. You looking at a 1 volt signal coming off of the stock HU if that.

The preamp outputs are definetly not your standard 4v outputs, closer to 2V but many, many, many people have gone the make pre-amp outputs from head unit to their signal processor, or amplifier without problems.

You really don't want to pick up the powered signal after the BOSE amp. The signal is highly EQ'd and you will have a difficult time getting a clean signal that sounds good.

The make your owen preamps path is tried and true, many folks have done it without problems. It is the best way to get a quality sound with the BOSE system.

Last edited:
I will try the pre amp side then and I will be sending the signal into a Kenwood 6042 equalizer, then to my amps. Hopefully I won't have to max out my gains as that distorts the sound in it's own way.

Back