Wheel Offset questions (again)

DennisW

Ok, I've searched and found a lot of discussion on wheel offsets, but my particular question(s) hasn't exactly been addressed. If it has and I've missed the proper thread I apologize, but admittedly there is a lot to search thru.

So, about wheel offsets:
I'm planning on replacing my stock 17x7 aluminum wheels with some aftermarket ones. Ideally I would like a 7.5" rim as I eventually plan on going to a 225x45-17 tire when the OEM tires wear out. With less than 5k miles on them I really can't justify just tossing the Michelins out. It seems 7.5" rims are not terribly common and the ones I've seen are either (IMO) not very good looking or have very small offsets. At worst I'll just stick with a 7" wide wheel, it seems like there is a much wider selection available in that width and it also seems less likely to lead to any rubbing issues.
What I am uncertain about, and really need some definite answers to are the maximum offsets I can safely use with a stock ride height 2006 Mazda6s. I would prefer not to do the fender rolling, not that it's completely out of the question but I would like to know my options without pursuing that course of action. What is the smallest offset for either a 7" or a 7.5" rim that I should be shopping for?

thanks in advance for any help or advice :)

Back