New winter tires for MS6

Well I got a head start this year and decided to get my winter tires last week. I decided not to skimp out on winter tires since our winters are so harsh. They came in Friday, I'm impressed with them!

These are Toyo Garit KX. The thread is really sticky and soft, and there are a lot of grooves to dissipate slush and snow. There are also walnut shells inside the rubber to help grip on ice. They also improved the handling on these by stiffening the sidewall. I'm really anxious to see how this car will go with these.I'm sure that SUV's will eat my snow lol.

I got them in 215/50/17. Even with steelies it wasn't cheap!

Garit1.JPG

Garit2.JPG

"Organic" studded tires ...what will they think of next! They for sure look like they will get the job done.

ottawaP5 said:
There are also walnut shells inside the rubber to help grip on ice.

toyo's version of the blizzak it seems

Cheapest tire I have found so far was a set of Dunlop ds-2's. 109 on tirerack. Blizzaks at 130.00. What did these cost?

I'm waiting until I can find a sale. Wish I could find some cheap no name brand tires that I could stud.

Matt'sSpeed6 said:
Yeah, where did you get the tires AND the wheels??????

Matt

I got the wheels at the same local tire shop. They just called suppliers in Montreal, told them it was for a Mazdaspeed 6 and I got them the next day.

Newf said:
toyo's version of the blizzak it seems

Cheapest tire I have found so far was a set of Dunlop ds-2's. 109 on tirerack. Blizzaks at 130.00. What did these cost?

I'm waiting until I can find a sale. Wish I could find some cheap no name brand tires that I could stud.

hmmm....that must be in US dollars, because the cheapest dunlops are about 165 CDN a tire. These wern't cheap...$230 CDN a tire.

tiretrends quoted me about 150 cdn for the dunlops.

Tirerack is 109 US

I'm hoping for a sale at tirerack soon. They have a rebate on them now for $25 but that's nothing to me and I'm not even sure I qualify for it since i am in canada

Newf said:
tiretrends quoted me about 150 cdn for the dunlops.

Tirerack is 109 US

I'm hoping for a sale at tirerack soon. They have a rebate on them now for $25 but that's nothing to me and I'm not even sure I qualify for it since i am in canada

check 1010tires.com, they have sales which are applicable to Canada.

I miss the days of buying 14" winter tires. As soon as you get into the 17" market the price skyrockets. I bought these because they last about 3 times longer than blizzaks, and the special rubber compound is used all the way through unlike blizzaks which are only the first 50% of the tread so they'll pay themselves off in the long run. But I'll admit, it wasn't fun paying for them.

ottawaP5 said:
Well I got a head start this year and decided to get my winter tires last week. I decided not to skimp out on winter tires since our winters are so harsh. They came in Friday, I'm impressed with them!

These are Toyo Garit KX. The thread is really sticky and soft, and there are a lot of grooves to dissipate slush and snow. There are also walnut shells inside the rubber to help grip on ice. They also improved the handling on these by stiffening the sidewall. I'm really anxious to see how this car will go with these.I'm sure that SUV's will eat my snow lol.

I got them in 215/50/17. Even with steelies it wasn't cheap!

Garit1.JPG

Garit2.JPG
Good call brother. Judging by the difference between the Graspics the MS6 and the Toyos on the MSP, I think that these will be a great purchase and offer a great ride.

R

Everytime I check 1010tire.com I almost pass out from the price tag. Tirerack ends up being cheaper, even tiretrends.com too which is also canadian.

Rainman said:
Good call brother. Judging by the difference between the Graspics the MS6 and the Toyos on the MSP, I think that these will be a great purchase and offer a great ride.

R

I'm hoping so too....I'm going to install them tomorrow to make sure they fit properly.

Do you have the Toyo Garits on your MSP?

ottawaP5 said:
I'm hoping so too....I'm going to install them tomorrow to make sure they fit properly.

Do you have the Toyo Garits on your MSP?

Yep. Much better ride than the Graspic 2s. Much heavier car too, but I don't think that that accounts for all the difference. Graspic 2s are much noisier too.

R

So I did a test fit today and drove it for a bit to see if the calipers rubbed, or if any other wierd noises would occur. Everything looks A1.

Rainman, do your steelies stick out more than the stock rims? I notice mine do. I don't really mind, it looks pretty aggresive, it's just that the fenders will take a beating from rocks flying off the tires.

MS6-Toyo1.JPG

Are 17's needed on the MS6 to clear the caliper? The MSP (which came with 17's stock) was fine with 15" steelies for snow tires. I'm wondering if the MS6 could get away with 16's (or maybe even 15's).

jersey_emt said:
Are 17's needed on the MS6 to clear the caliper? The MSP (which came with 17's stock) was fine with 15" steelies for snow tires. I'm wondering if the MS6 could get away with 16's (or maybe even 15's).

Hmmm...I'm not 100% sure, but I can tell you that there was about a half a centemeter of space with the 17" steelies. 16" would be REALLY tight.

ottawaP5 said:
So I did a test fit today and drove it for a bit to see if the calipers rubbed, or if any other wierd noises would occur. Everything looks A1.

Rainman, do your steelies stick out more than the stock rims? I notice mine do. I don't really mind, it looks pretty aggresive, it's just that the fenders will take a beating from rocks flying off the tires.

MS6-Toyo1.JPG

Yeah, they do a bit. It actually looks more aggressive than with the stock tires and rims on. However, after a winter with the steelies, I haven't noticed any dents or chips on the fenders.

R

Back