new mazda accessories! need help

BigA

i just got on mazda website and saw a couple of new items. one of which was the mazdaspeed cai. anyone know anything about it and if its even worth it. on my page it shows three different intakes one with a higher pice is there a difference? also a mazdaspeed 6 Axle Back muffler system. im really intersted on this never even heard of it around or seen it no pic available it says. is it like a exhaust (i know noob) and what are the gains for both that and cai. thanks for ur help.

[URL="http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/speedDisplayAccessoryList.action?endModelYear=2006&carLineCode=MZ6&startModelYear=2004&categoryId=3"]http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/speedDisplayAccessoryList.action?endModelYear=2006&carLineCode=MZ6&startModelYear=2004&categoryId=3

About the CAI, Definately not worth it. A cheapy short ram intake from ebay would be just as good as that, and they want to charge $300 for it! Thats insane! Plus its not a true cold air intake unless the filter is routed outside the engine compartment. In my opinion Injen makes the best CAI for protege's, like the one at protegegarage.com for $239.

Last edited:
I believe the MS6 intake is a true CAI, and not a short ram. From what I've heard, its basically a rebranded AEM CAI, so it should give you some good HP increases. Somebody else already installed it, http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123643942. The difference between the three CAI listed there, is the cars they're for. The other two are for the regular 6.

Hope that helps.

mazdaspeed777 said:
About the CAI, Definately not worth it. A cheapy short ram intake from ebay would be just as good as that, and they want to charge $300 for it! Thats insane! Plus its not a true cold air intake unless the filter is routed outside the engine compartment. In my opinion Injen makes the best CAI for protege's, like the one at protegegarage.com for $239.

dude, he's not even talking proteges

Haven't heard any news about the muffler yet. Haven't seen anyone who's put it on their car yet.

mazdaspeed777 said:

What??? Dude you're in the... (wrong)

First thing first... he is not asking info about Protege items as he is in the MAZDASPEED6 thread.
Second... WHY are you telling him about Protege items when he was asking about M6/MS6 items???

If you search, you'll find this...
MS6 CAI is a true CAI, not short ram and YES it is routed outside the engine all the way to the wheel area. Also I paid $260.00 from the group bye. WHY do you want to put CHEAPY parts in the M6/MS6 (or any car)??? The MS6 CAI is designed by AEM.

Last edited:
ChicagoKid said:
What??? Dude you're in the... (wrong)

First thing first... he is not asking info about Protege items as he is in the MAZDASPEED6 thread.
Second... WHY are you telling him about Protege items when he was asking about M6/MS6 items???

If you search, you'll find this...
MS6 CAI is a true CAI, not short ram and YES it is routed outside the engine all the way to the wheel area. Also I paid $260.00 from the group bye. WHY do you want to put CHEAPY parts in the M6/MS6 (or any car)??? The MS6 CAI is designed by AEM.

I posted that when I was new to the forum and didn't know I was in the wrong place so I retract my previous statement. So poor yourself a big tall glass of com down juice and follow it by a chill pill JEEESH

installing cold air intake safely?

:confused:
Captain KRM P5 said:
thats fine i have mazda6 intakes as well (first)

I have an 04 mazda 6 that I'm curious about installing a cai. I've never done this before, but I have mechanical background, so I'm quite capable.
my concern is weather or not its safe to just install a cai without any other mods to the engine. Is it as simple as replacing the factory air intake with a cold air intake and start driving, or is there somthing else I need to do to avoid short term, or long term damage to the engine? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

no worries man, its as simple as replacing the factory air intake with a cold air intake, and then you start driving. can't go wrong really ;)

The difference between the Mazdaspeed CAI and the AEM/Injen/whatever other Brands is simple.

Mazdaspeed parts WONT void your warranty (first)

if the dealer wants to fight theyll try to pin something on the non-mazdaspeed accessory

Sean

Go for it!

I bought and installed the Mazdaspeed CAI that I ordered from one of the vendors on this site and couldn't be any happier. The install was supposed to be easy but due to a couple of bolts that are on the underside of the stock airbox it took a little bit longer than expected. I have installed CAI's on various other imports and every time I have done so it makes them a lot louder, however, with this CAI there is no overwhelming sound but more of a subtle "whoosh". Under full acceleration you hear it a lot more and the best part is that you can hear the turbo through every one of the gears. I like this because the town I live in is small and the cops are always picking on import cars, especially those that are loud because apparantley the louder they are, the faster they are. The quiet engine with the CAI makes for a GREAT sleeper! Shop around on here and elsewhere because I found the Mazdaspeed brand CAI for only $40.00 more than the AEM version and I don't have to worry about a voided warranty!![/COLOR]

Last edited:
leebee said:
:confused:

I have an 04 mazda 6 that I'm curious about installing a cai. I've never done this before, but I have mechanical background, so I'm quite capable.
my concern is weather or not its safe to just install a cai without any other mods to the engine. Is it as simple as replacing the factory air intake with a cold air intake and start driving, or is there somthing else I need to do to avoid short term, or long term damage to the engine? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

Do you have the I4 or do you have the V6? If you have the I4, Injen or AEM will work for you. If you have the V6, you have a couple of options.

1. CPE's MAFci is the best, but it isn't cheap. It does not throw CEL's and has the best gains to date.

2. Injen CAI w/ CPE's Injen fix, the will not throw CEL's either because of the CPE's fix.

So depending, on your engine and your budget, you have a few options. We have CPE's MAFci's on both of our 6's, both are V6's.

Back