Holy Brake Dust Batman

I have had my Speed6 for just over a week and the front rims are just coated with brake dust. I was wondering if this is because of the new brakes or if I should expect this indefinitely? What do you guys recommend to clean the rims?

By the way, I had my first fill up with 93 octane yesterday at $2.63 per gallon BP/Amaco, 22 miles per gallon in mixed driving.

I am not sure about anyone else, but I only use soap - even if it requires a second bucketful (it will). I do not like anything harsh on the wheels. I have not yet waxed the wheels - that will not be fun...

I find cleaning my car therapeutic.

Enjoy the car!!

Matt

Mr. clean magic eraser for wheels and tires. They come 4 in a box and you should use 1 to 2 each time you clean all 4 wheels. These will also remove road tar and other gunk that seems to always find it's way to the wheels.

Also I have 9500 Miles on my MS6 and the brake dust is just as bad as the day I bought it.

Matt'sSpeed6 said:
I am not sure about anyone else, but I only use soap - even if it requires a second bucketful (it will). I do not like anything harsh on the wheels. I have not yet waxed the wheels - that will not be fun...

I find cleaning my car therapeutic.

Enjoy the car!!

Matt

I use Eagle 1 wheel and tire cleaner. I do wonder if it is abrasive to the wheel however. Soap is probably the best for cleaning the wheels because it is much less abrasive but I'm just too lazy to do all that scrubbing lol

Yep. Situation normal for a 6 owner. It's a common complaint since the car's launch in '03.

I use wheel wax. That stuff is awesome. Brake dust don't stick to your wheels. You get one at Advance Auto Parts.

How does wheelmax work? Do you wash it first, then spray this stuff on?

ChicagoKid said:
I use wheel wax. That stuff is awesome. Brake dust don't stick to your wheels. You get one at Advance Auto Parts.

ONRAILS said:
How does wheelmax work? Do you wash it first, then spray this stuff on?
You want to clean the wheels/rim first. This stuff is so easy to use.

Put it on a clean wheel/rim with a soft cloth (looks like gel), let dry to a haze (1-2 mins) and use another soft cloth to wipe off. It comes off VERY easy, no hard rubbing or buffing. The result is pure shine.

Next time you wash your wheels you'll see how easy brake dust comes off.

ChicagoKid said:
You want to clean the wheels/rim first. This stuff is so easy to use.

Put it on a clean wheel/rim with a soft cloth (looks like gel), let dry to a haze (1-2 mins) and use another soft cloth to wipe off. It comes off VERY easy, no hard rubbing or buffing. The result is pure shine.

Next time you wash your wheels you'll see how easy brake dust comes off.

I'll have to try some of that, saw it at Advance today but figured it was along the lines of snake oil.

On a more pleasant note, the dusting seems to decrease as you use the pads. At about 2700 miles they've decreased signifigantly. Of course any dust is really noticeable on the silver wheels. (pissed)

How does this wheel wax differ from any other wax product? I figured since these are painted wheels, the same wax I use on the car is fine for the wheels...

yep I use the meguires scratch remover and 3 step wax on both the mercury and mazda. Rims look showroom new. I also use black magic wheel wipes in between wax applications

Last edited:
My 2003 had so much brake dust my old aluminum alloy rims looked like gunmetal black rims only a week or two after I washed and waxed it.

But, since earlier this year, I've change my brake pads to aftermarket Hawk HPS pads and the brake dust has decreased and INCREDIBLE amount.

Last edited:
I use this stuff called "awsome"(no, I'm not joking, that's what it's called), it's an all-purpose cleaner (from carpets to engine degreaser..) you can pick it up @ the dollar tree and it works as well as anything else I've used. Think of it as windex for everything. Your brake pads are what is causing the massive amount of dust and there's nothing you can do about it unless you're willing to invest money in some expensive pads, ie; ceramic pads. I'm using Nappa Ceramix generic pads atm and I've had to clean my rims about once a month compared to about 7 times a month with the old OEM pads. They don't carry a huge price premium, OEM pads cost me $40, the ceramics cost me $75 for the pair (I got a discount though, retail is usualy about $80-90)

They last longer and obvisouly are much lower dusting, so the premium evens out imo.

Back