CEL and Gas Cap Issue

boytoys

:
Mazda 5 GT
As some 5 owners already known and dealt with. I had my CEL on since 1100 km. It happened right after my wife did a pit stop for refueling. Checked this forum, and as Zoom5zoom points out, it could be the gas cap not properly pressurised and not tight enough.

After driving another week with the CEL on, we finally had the appointment and took the car in today. Service advisor suspect some gasket issue (which is new to me), other forum users here also posted that it could be a throttle body issue (especially if engine stalls)...So in any case, we left the car for an afternoon. We got it back, the service advisor says their computer was shutdown during a reset of my 5 ...and the CEL is still on. To my surprise, when we picked up, the CEL was not on at all. The service tech then show me that the gas cap has to be turned clockwise until you hear 2-3 clicks...

Guess my issue is OK for now. Happy to have our 5 still , no drama !! Now i wish there is an aftermarket upgrade kit for replacing the brush aluminum plastic interiors on the gear shifter, window switches, and the dash...A wood looking one will be nice. ... Anyone know of whether there is aftermarket ones out there ?

The brush aluminum dash trims are awfully easy to scratch....

Sorry about the gas cap crap but that is the only way to measure if the tank is pressurized. Again it is presureized to kill the fumes in the tank...

As for the interior finish there are some amazing after market kits going now.... have a look at Mazda 3 kits they have tons.

Hope the answer to your CEL is ok and it won't happen again..

Yeah my Jetta used to have a nice sticker on the gas cap about this, speaking of which, this gas cap is the weak point of the 5... I mean, what they were thinking about at Mazda? The gas door is floating around with no "hinge stop" to retain it. Plus there are no way to attach the cap to the door... Duh!

Yeah, my Accord's gas cap is like that too. I think it's pretty common. I got a CEL on it from not clicking far enough so now when I put my gas cap on in any car it sounds like there is a kid riding his bike with cards in the spokes.

P_bouchr try page 2 and 3 of this thread for some info on how to keep the gas cap from dangling.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123620798

Last edited:
everytime i get gas now, my car will not start very easy it sputters and stalls...and the check engine light is on, is this because of the gas cap??

lol, no, probably not. A loose gas cap will cause the engine light to lit, but it won't make your engine running weird. Get to the dealer ASAP, probably something with the gas line or something.

Thanks Lady! Already saw that post, but haven't seen there were that much replies. When I checked it it was stopped at the honda part. Gonna try this tonight. But a little "stop" in the hinge when the door is open would also have been nice.

Last edited:
Ya Im taking it into Edmonton on Saturday...its a 3 hour drive..ugh..but most likely i will have to make another trip next week if a part has to be ordered...i told him the problem and he said to keep it below 3/4 tank and it would prevent it for now. He said that gas is spilling and leaking into the engine or something..I'll know more on Saturday I guess.

there's been problems with the gas caps on the new mazdas... mazda is aware of this and they're working on fixing this issue.... needless to say, these gas caps are a FORD design

I had CEL problems. At first it was thought to be the gas cap, but it kept coming back. In the end, some type of pump or canister was replaced under warranty and I have not had the problem since.

ladygrey said:
Yeah, my Accord's gas cap is like that too. I think it's pretty common. I got a CEL on it from not clicking far enough so now when I put my gas cap on in any car it sounds like there is a kid riding his bike with cards in the spokes.
Here too. My WRX is prone to it. Every now and then it throws a CEL 0457 when the tank is between full and half. No engine issues. I just live with it.

Ya hopefully its nothing too serious...the mecnahic seemed to know what it was and said that there is an updated part for it. Does warranty cover all costs? Even the labour part...I've never had to get a car fixed under warranty before.

Not exactly a Mazda specific issue. Most cars these days with throw a CEL if youo don't tighten the gas cap properly. It's all relative to how sensitive the sensors in the system are.

dude, it's a gas cap problem... on some cars it will STILL go on with the gas cap tight

read what I said!

TheMAN said:
dude, it's a gas cap problem... on some cars it will STILL go on with the gas cap tight

read what I said!

Yes this is no doubt due to stricter emissions. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think it all relates to keeping the fuel system as sealed as possible. A loose gas cap may not hurt performance but it will allow vapors to escape.

I stopped going to full service gas stations because the kids pumping gas didn't tighten the cap enough to make it click. When I complained to the manager at the station he said- what's the problem, the light will go out eventually (!).

I said yeah, after 100 starts!

Probably gas cap....I forgot to tighten mine on my RX 8 yesterday...first time....and sure enough the CEL came on...took her in and that was it. The tech told me it does not reset itself and I heard from someone else it takes a few days then resets itself.

i found out that my car needs a new fuel pump because is slowly losing pressure and a hose..i forget what it was called. so im back to the city on friday for 4 hours to get this replaced, since he checked it the cel is off and hasn't come back on. I also found out that a "crash sensor" needed to be repalced because it was recalled.

Check engine light came on and I immediately check the gas cap. My guess was right, I saw the gas cap was loose. Now my question is, how do I reset the CEL light? I remember in my old car, I used to disconnect the battery and the CEL light would turn off. Will that do it for the Mazda5? Would disconnecting the battery reset anything else like the saved stations in my radio?

Back