K&N Air Filter Question........

thom71

Last week I took my wife's '05 Mazda 6 into dealership for some issues.
One was a hesitation in the acclerator and poor gas mileage.
She was only getting about 15 miles per gallon .... in town driving.
Anyway, the tech who worked on the car said the K&N air filter I installed was partially the problem because it gummed up the MAF Air Sensor.
The K&N has been on car pretty much since new (currently has about 3500 miles) and I have never oiled the filter. He says the filter has it on there already........does this make sense?
They suggested switching back to an OEM type air filter.
Seems K&N couldn't sell their filters for new vehicles if this was true.
Any feedback appreciated to the new guy here.

The K&N filter should have come in a plastic bag and it should have been reddish in color. The filter itself is white but the oil that is used is red. This makes the filter reddish white. And yes it is possible for the oil to get sucked off and coat your MAF sensor. I've never had is happen to me but it can happen. As long as you don't coat the filter so much that it is dripping with oil there shouldn't be a problem. You can clean the MAF sensor every now and then and that should help.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=1

it does this with all maf sensors also voids warranties in the chevy truck i had tranny went bad due to the k&n because it tells the tranny when to shift down by messing up the maf it would cause it to shift irradically causing the tranny to go out so they said. i just dont use the oil but have a clean one ready to go thats my advice every oil change comes the clean air filter...

ms64meplease said:
it does this with all maf sensors also voids warranties in the chevy truck i had tranny went bad due to the k&n because it tells the tranny when to shift down by messing up the maf it would cause it to shift irradically causing the tranny to go out so they said. i just dont use the oil but have a clean one ready to go thats my advice every oil change comes the clean air filter...

I find that somewhat hard to believe after reading this.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm

But they may have pulled the wool over your eyes.

i didnt care i traded it in on a new one and thats got traded in so its been awhile it was a 02 that it happened to. but i have always used k&n filters just cleaned off the oil and changed it every oil change the ms6 has a injen cai on it but i have another filter ready. it dont take much time to do it i just let the oil drip out while im doing the af by the time im done the oils ready to go in... i would rather do that than have the dealer say hey that voided the warranty crap again i hate arguing with the people i do a ton of work for...lol

Back