Air Intake Baffle (Silencer) removal

G-Papi

:
'07 Mazda6s Grand Touring Automatic 5D Tropical Island Blue
Here's how to remove the air baffle (silencer) that's beneath the air filter in the air box on the CX-7. Its removal seems to smooth out the power band, increase the power, and (heehee) make it sound better. The improved efficiency may improve the gas mileage.

Look at the air filter box. There are finger clips on all sides, and as I recall, two on the front.

Unclip the clips. Remove the air filter cover. It may ease matters if you unscrew the hose clamp to the air intake and remove the hose from the cover. Reinstallation is a snap, so not to worry.

Being careful not to tear the air filter, or distort in any way, remove the air filter by lifting straight up. Remember which side is up.

You will see the bottom of the box, which is a flat surface. Clipped to it is the baffle. Using a flat screwdriver, unclip it from the body of the box. Do not damage the baffle in the process. It should be a simple snap-out operation. Wipe out any dust in the bottom of the box.

Reinstall the filter, and close the cover, being certain that the filter seals properly on all sides of the box, and there is no interference with reclosing the box. Be sure that all clips are re-attached, along with the intake air hose, if you disconnected it previously.

A tip . . .

Save your baffle. Re-install it if taking the car for warranty service, or for when you trade it in for the 2009 model.

Here's the pics.

Here is the airbox in all it's glory!

cx-7airbox.jpg

Shot with the cover off and filter exposed. (I found it easier to remove the lid with the plug to the MAF disconnected and removed from the wire harness clip on the box)

cx-7filter.jpg

Bottom of the airbox before the mod.

cx-7airboxmodbefore.jpg

Bottom of the airbox after the mod.

cx-7airboxmodafter.jpg

Piece that was removed from the airbox.

cx-7airboxremovedpiece.jpg

xavier said:
Nice writeup. Ill have to try this

its one of the easiest things to do the only tool that i really needed was a screw driver to remove top of the air box so i have more room to take the baffle out.. took me total of 10 mins.. and i did it in parking lot of my work lol.

1Sleepy93 said:
Here's the pics.

Here is the airbox in all it's glory!

cx-7airbox.jpg

Shot with the cover off and filter exposed. (I found it easier to remove the lid with the plug to the MAF disconnected and removed from the wire harness clip on the box)

cx-7filter.jpg

Bottom of the airbox before the mod.

cx-7airboxmodbefore.jpg

Bottom of the airbox after the mod.

cx-7airboxmodafter.jpg

Piece that was removed from the airbox.

cx-7airboxremovedpiece.jpg

Dude, your right! instead of just leaving it unclipped, me and my buddy flipped the top cover over and put the filter in ass backwards and took it for a drive! sounds awesome!!!!!: now i can pull up to a light and get this suka to sound like the TURBO is present cheap C.A.I fix.....now it has a blow off valve !

What I posted was a simple baffle removal operation. I'm not sure that I'm understanding what you're saying you did, but it doesn't sound like the type of thing I'd recommend doing. All I suggested was the baffle removal. The filter will still stop the particulate matter. I'm sure it's engineered for a single directional air flow.

that sounds pretty cool. Have you had a chance to drive it for a while like that? How much effect did it have on your gas milage?

G-Papi said:
What I posted was a simple baffle removal operation. I'm not sure that I'm understanding what you're saying you did, but it doesn't sound like the type of thing I'd recommend doing. All I suggested was the baffle removal. The filter will still stop the particulate matter. I'm sure it's engineered for a single directional air flow.
I think what he did was turned the top of the filter cover upside-down where the air flow would be from the top of the motor, then secured the filter upside-down in the filter cover. I think the idea is to suck air from the top of the motor where the air is being channeled in through the front grill. I dont know if id trust that though.

It's my understanding that it's purpose is to quiet the noise of the turbo intake system.

The baffle itself is posted in 1sleepy's post #2 in this thread. It's the last in the series of pics.

Z_Monzter said:
Nice, I took mine off as soon as G-papi mention it last week.
I checked today. It does seem that the air filter is soiling quicker than normal. Oh well, I guess I can't have the best of all worlds.:)

Did this while I was up at the lake this weekend. I notice a slightly louder acceleration noise but not really any responsiveness, smoothness, or power gains. Not that Im complaining cuz it took like 5 minutes of my life so no worries

Have there been any negative effects of doing this? Would anyone who's done this give their opinions please?:)

Haven't noticed any negatives on mine and it's been done for a couple thousand miles now.

1Sleepy93 said:
Haven't noticed any negatives on mine and it's been done for a couple thousand miles now.
Havent noticed any negatives but then again I havent really noticed any positives either

Back