Winter Performance vs. MS6 Factory Tires

Matt'sSpeed6

:
MazdaSpeed6
For all who live in areas affected by snow:

I would appreciate responses regarding winter driving (i.e. snow) and the factory tires on the MS6.

Also, anyone who uses alternative wheels and tires for such conditions, what do you use/where did you get them?

Thanks everbody!!

Matt

Matt'sSpeed6 said:

I would appreciate responses regarding winter driving (i.e. snow) and the factory tires on the MS6.

Also, anyone who uses alternative wheels and tires for such conditions, what do you use/where did you get them?

Thanks everbody!!

Matt

Potenza's are bad in snow!

I would suggest getting some all season or winter tires. I got Blizzaks and put them on the stock rims for winter use and then put the Potenza's on a set of summer rims.

the last time I drove with Z rated tires on in snow I damn near died. It was a 2001 Mazda MP3 .And we have SNOW....REAL WINTERS. SO I am used to driving in snow.

I couldn't get any traction at all. Car couldn't even start off without a lot of effort on even a few inches of snow. If I got up a hill and hit snow, she'd start slipping backwards or sideways with the brakes locked. It was pathetic.

In my 2003.5 MSP I never even attempted snow with the stockers on after that and that is my advice to you.

That being said, after seeing a video of the car in snow, it is no way as bad as my mp3....watch this... link coming in a bit...

link updated. Wasn't working first.

http://aol.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Mazda.spy?artid=59591&pg=1http://aol.auto123.com/en/info/news/...py?artid=59591

Last edited:
Newf said:
the last time I drove with Z rated tires on in snow I damn near died. It was a 2001 Mazda MP3 .And we have SNOW....REAL WINTERS. SO I am used to driving in snow.

I couldn't get any traction at all. Car couldn't even start off without a lot of effort on even a few inches of snow. If I got up a hill and hit snow, she'd start slipping backwards or sideways with the brakes locked. It was pathetic.

In my 2003.5 MSP I never even attempted snow with the stockers on after that and that is my advice to you.

That being said, after seeing a video of the car in snow, it is no way as bad as my mp3....watch this... link coming in a bit...

Scary s##t, man. Wish I could find some steel wheels.... Hate to "ugly" the stockers anymore than they already are!!

Matt'sSpeed6 said:
Scary s##t, man. Wish I could find some steel wheels.... Hate to "ugly" the stockers anymore than they already are!!

I'm loving the stockers now. Took a while, but I love them. the more aftermarket wheels I see on the car, the more I like the stockers

If you watch this video below. You'll see he's driving on very little snow in the parking lots. No way I would have gotten up to that speed at all in the MP3 with the Z rated dunlops, and would have never been able to turn either. Something happens with z-rated tires when they get cold. It's like the rubber turns into hard plastic. We get much colder temps here so it's probably worse. But they literally turn into plastic skiis it seems :)

I got stock 17" Mazda 6 rims for winter. Just got to find some cheap rubber. Get those z-rated tires off, stick anything else on there and she'll be fine. The car is also high enough to clear most snow and with AWD should be a blast.

My MP3 was also good in the snow once I had steelies and proper winter tires on. Car was a but lite, but got around very well for what it was. The Ms6 should 10 times better.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/videos,view.spy?artid=59591

Stock tires sux in snow, actually dangerous!!! Having AWD helps a lot, unless you live where it snows all the time. Then you will want all seasons/winter tires.
you can find winter or all seasons tires/wheels at:

tirerack dot com
or
tires dot com

Newf said:
I'm loving the stockers now. Took a while, but I love them. the more aftermarket wheels I see on the car, the more I like the stockers

If you watch this video below. You'll see he's driving on very little snow in the parking lots. No way I would have gotten up to that speed at all in the MP3 with the Z rated dunlops, and would have never been able to turn either. Something happens with z-rated tires when they get cold. It's like the rubber turns into hard plastic. We get much colder temps here so it's probably worse. But they literally turn into plastic skiis it seems :)

I got stock 17" Mazda 6 rims for winter. Just got to find some cheap rubber. Get those z-rated tires off, stick anything else on there and she'll be fine. The car is also high enough to clear most snow and with AWD should be a blast.

My MP3 was also good in the snow once I had steelies and proper winter tires on. Car was a but lite, but got around very well for what it was. The Ms6 should 10 times better.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/videos,view.spy?artid=59591

So the 6's 17" wheel and tire are the same overall diameter of the
MS6+Z-rated wheel and tire? This will work w/o any negative effect on speed or mileage?

Matt'sSpeed6 said:
So the 6's 17" wheel and tire are the same overall diameter of the
MS6+Z-rated wheel and tire? This will work w/o any negative effect on speed or mileage?

Yup

I remember trying to drive my STI in a slight dusting with the stock potenza tires, and the car was insanely dangerous. I picked up a cheap set of winter rims and tires on tire rack. Now with this MS6, I was in same boat. Since it's a lease, I got the only high performance all season they carry in the oem size, and snagged a set of 4 Pirelli P Nero M&S high performance all seasons. They actually are a bit quieter, and handle quite well. Also the treadwear rating of 400 as opposed to 140 on the Re050As is good. Need to hand this 2 year lease back with decent tires, and get through a couple of winters, so this is the perfect tire, and the only choice without getting an extra set of rims. They cost me $530 shipped to my door, and another $80 to mount and balance at local shop. I sold off the stockers, and made a nice chunk back for them as well. :)

Awd is virtually useless with summer tires, and I'm glad I'll have little problems this winter with these good Pirellis. They are even listed as an OEM tire on tirerack because they currently are the only high performance all season in the 215-45-18 size. Def worth the money. They are already better in rain, and have a decent snow rating, so with AWD, I'm good to go. :)

Personally I don't believe in all season tires at all, especially performance all season tires. I remember reading an article in Autoweek where they had someone from Tirerack saying the same thing. The problem with all season tires is that they have to cover such a wide variety of driving conditions they have to compromise so much that they aren't the best for specific things like snow, or track driving/spirirted driving. I've driven cars with Haldex awd with performance tires in 2" of snow and getting moving was a challenge, stopping without sliding into the oncoming lane was a challenge. Then I put the customers snow tires on and it was a night day difference. You could almost drive the car real aggresive and not really worry about it. On a different car I put snow tires on and with about 3" of snow down I was able to hard launch it and it just took off ( the car had 360hp and was awd). On my own rwd drive cars I never had snow tires until another tech sold me a set for real cheap. After the first drive with snow tires I'd never drive in snow again without them.

Chris

PLaces for tires and rims
www.tirerack.com
www.discounttire.com

The MS6 all wheel drive system will get you going ....

... but the tires will have NO way to stop you once you do get going on snow. Don't even think about it.

(peep)

Matt'sSpeed6 said:

Thanks everbody!!

Matt

psi365 said:
Personally I don't believe in all season tires at all, especially performance all season tires. I remember reading an article in Autoweek where they had someone from Tirerack saying the same thing. The problem with all season tires is that they have to cover such a wide variety of driving conditions they have to compromise so much that they aren't the best for specific things like snow, or track driving/spirirted driving. I've driven cars with Haldex awd with performance tires in 2" of snow and getting moving was a challenge, stopping without sliding into the oncoming lane was a challenge. Then I put the customers snow tires on and it was a night day difference. You could almost drive the car real aggresive and not really worry about it. On a different car I put snow tires on and with about 3" of snow down I was able to hard launch it and it just took off ( the car had 360hp and was awd). On my own rwd drive cars I never had snow tires until another tech sold me a set for real cheap. After the first drive with snow tires I'd never drive in snow again without them.

Chris

PLaces for tires and rims
www.tirerack.com
www.discounttire.com
all season means that. Best investment is snow wheels. I found that out in the mercury with the factory t/a kdws. LSD did nothing for me when the car started accending the hill sideways. After getting a snow wheel set I had a 90% better driving expeience. Don't bother swapping the tires off the stockers cause over time the money will superseed the price of getting dedicated wheels to wrap the tires in. Don't worry too much on what your car looks like in the winter. If you must, get hubcaps to hide the JDM black stelie hotness :)

Best bet is to find a member who swapped out the stockers for aftermarket and don't plan on going back. Thats how I got my 17's when my 16's got trashed.

Or you could get a set of snow tires in a month or two. Put them on the stock wheels (you are going to need to do this anyway unless you really like the stock wheels) and when spring hits next year, buy a set of aftermarket wheels that you like and get your summer tires mounted on the new wheels. This also gives you time to save up for the new wheels too.

get a dedicated winter tire, then when it snows go have fun :) i've bought 2 sets of winter tires in my life (im not that old yet, give me some time) and they've both been nokians. a bit pricey, but i'd recommend them. on the day last year when we got 15" of snow and i had to come to work i was still doing 70 on the highway. probably not the best idea, but you get the point

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123625508

We used to sell a lot of Nokians which are supposed to be a all season tire that was more directed toward snow. Bridgestone Blizzaks are still the best in my mind. A lot of different manufacturers make snow tires, but only make so many so the earlier you start looking the better you are cause they will have them in stock where if you wait you might have to play with tire size and brand.

psi365 said:
We used to sell a lot of Nokians which are supposed to be a all season tire that was more directed toward snow.
i don't know if you were referring to the specific model you sold lots of our nokians in general, but nokian makes tires that are dedicated winter tires in addition to their more all season tires. the hakka rsi and the hakka 2 are their current winters. i have the rsi now but had its predecessor, the hakka q, before, and i liked the q better but the rsi is still no slouch.

blizzaks are good, nothing wrong with them, only downside they have is that the tire is made out of 2 materials and it is layered. once the outer winter compound layer wears through you're left with an all season compound. probably not an issue for most people for different reasons, but something to be aware of

Well my stock tires are shot after putting on 17k miles so I am going with the Conti Extreme contact all seaason tire. OF all the conti products my tire guy said this is the only one he would ever recommend and it is a great ttire even in the winter. Reviews on tirerack are great too! Hard to find tires in our size tho there are few out there. I had to go with a 225/45/18.

mazda6gal said:
Well my stock tires are shot after putting on 17k miles so I am going with the Conti Extreme contact all seaason tire. OF all the conti products my tire guy said this is the only one he would ever recommend and it is a great ttire even in the winter. Reviews on tirerack are great too! Hard to find tires in our size tho there are few out there. I had to go with a 225/45/18.

Let us know if you get any rubbing with those. I have 225/45/18 Blizzaks that I plan to put on for winter, but don't know if they'll rub at all.

Back