Fog Lamps

motopilot

:
CX-7 Sport Platinum Silver, 2002 Protege
I know there was some talk about this before but was wondering if you can or cannot install the fog lamps afterwards if you cx7 did not come with them. When I emailed a guy selling them on ebay, he said yes, but I want o hear if anyone from here has done it or not. It is an item I wanted on the car but just decided to do it later when I saw that it was available as an accessory.

motopilot said:
I know there was some talk about this before but was wondering if you can or cannot install the fog lamps afterwards if you cx7 did not come with them. When I emailed a guy selling them on ebay, he said yes, but I want o hear if anyone from here has done it or not. It is an item I wanted on the car but just decided to do it later when I saw that it was available as an accessory.

I work at the dealer and had to look into this exact question for a customer. After looking at a CX-7 that was not equipped with fogs and seeing no plug or anything for the fog kit to plug into, I called Mazda because it is listed in their catalog as a general accessory. They said that if you have a power driver's seat then you should have the connections behind the front bumper for the fog light kit. I didn't physically verify this because the customer I was helping didn't have a power driver's seat so he called it quits. If someone else on here that has a CX-7 with a power driver's seat and no fogs want to climb underneath their car to see if there is an empty plug that would verify what I'm trying to say.

We do not have the power driver seat so I guess that is out of the question. Just wondering what other people were doing as I see it is available.

I have no fogs and the tech package. I'll have to take a look for the wiring once the weather breaks to crawl under and look for the wires...

motopilot said:
I had the dealer install mine with no problems.
P.S. No power seats

Cool that is what I am going to do. Just something I wanted with the car but my salesman was a little slow (2nd day ever) so when I saw that they were available as a extra I figured it was something we could install later.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. The car is great!

Need info

I would like to install the fogs but don't have the power seat. Could someone hook me up with the missing component's part #'s or advise if it really is just best to pay the dealer to install. X Fire N how much did the dealer charge for the install ?

Mamas Ride said:
I would like to install the fogs but don't have the power seat. Could someone hook me up with the missing component's part #'s or advise if it really is just best to pay the dealer to install. X Fire N how much did the dealer charge for the install ?

To be honest, in my opinion you are better off letting the dealer handle this one. It will cost you a bit, but you will save a lot of headaches

Was not straightforward!

I got the fog kit added as part of my purchase negotiations (along with the remote start)--when I brought the vehicle back a few weeks later they discovered the previously discussed issue that there is no wiring harness for the fogs if you didn't already have them (related to the VIN blah blah). Much drama and angry gesticulation later the dealer agreed to figure out how to get it done. About a month later they called me to bring the car back and get the fogs installed. Four hours later fogs are in and looking and working great. I made sure that the dealer did it, and that it was warranteed because apparently there was some other than official Mazda parts involved. No idea of the real cost since they covered it in the purchase price--but they definitely had to do some headscratching to get it dealt with so I don't know that I would try to handle this yourself or get someone other than a dealer to do it.

I wondering has anyone changed their STOCK fog light bulbs to a pair with a BLUEISH tint, that match the XENON (HID) headlight ? If so which bulbs, what model & brand, how, and has it hard to do. Thanks

I am kinda replying from my "anal-cavity" on this one, but I was under the impression that Xenon lights take more than a bulb-change... don't they require a different power-source and so-on...?

Fake HID

One is for matching color - other is for efficency - for matching color the simple bulb change is good enough - but it's just for color and not true HID. (poke)

Question about the foglights -
I have the power seats in my Sport. I took the cover off the lower bumper, and sure enough there is a harness there to plug the fog lights into.
For those of you with the foglights, where is the On/Off located? I want to order the lights from Mazdastuff, but I don't want to get into hardcore interior wiring.

CX7LI said:
Question about the foglights -
For those of you with the foglights, where is the On/Off located? I want to order the lights from Mazdastuff, but I don't want to get into hardcore interior wiring.

just beside the switch of the headlamps (located on the same stick/pole). you can turn it on by twisting upward.

I've got a base sport no power seat option and took the front bumper cover off, and unfortunately no wiring harness for the accessory foglights.

In regards to the on/off switch, if you buy the factory kit, you will get a new replacement headlight/turn signal stalk that has the foglight switch on it.

What about installing an better quality aftermarket light? Installing a PIAA set would be much nicer than factory, and more useful as well.

Enabling the fog lights to run without the headlights and or installing fog lights on a CX7 without the power seat wiring harness is a simple procedure.

First open the steering column and remove the turn/light selector or look at the turn/light selector that came with your fog light kit from Mazda. Look at the wiring and you will see a brown wire (goes to the fog lamp switch) and 2 white wires. Use an ohm meter to identify which white wire is for the fog lamps. Cut the brown wire and white wire at the plug (not at the switch) and solder small gauge wires on to the cut white and brown wire. Make sure that each wire is long enough to reach well under the hood. Dont forget to seal the free end of the wires at the plug. Reinstall the switch and route the long wire along the steering column trough the rubber boot and into the engine compartment.
At almost any auto parts store, pick up a good 12 volt relay (Bosch) for installing aftermarket fog and or driving lights, spades terminals for the relay and one for taping into the accessories power supply in the fuse panel under hood. For those without the seat wiring harness you can also pick up the needed plugs for connecting to the fog lights and wire to make your wiring harness. It is a good idea to pick up some of the flexible split tubing to run the wire in. This makes your job much neater.
Without the seat wire harness you will need to make a harness to connect the two fog lights back to the battery and relay. Your ground or black wire from the fog lights should go to the battery negative terminal and the red or power to a terminal (87) on the relay. One wire from the light switch goes to ground and one to a terminal (85) on the relay. Then a wire from the accessories power source to a terminal (86) on the relay. You will need to identify which terminals are which from the wiring diagram on the relays package. The accessories power terminal is located in the fuse panel which is under the hood a few inches from the battery. To identify the accessories power terminal use a volt meter set at 15 volts; common or black lead to the negative battery terminal and then locate a terminal that has power with the key on and does not have power with the key off.

If you use one of the bosch relaysterminals 85 and 86 are for the light switch. Terminal 30 is power from your battery and terminal 87 is power to your lights. Terminal 87a supplies power when the relay is not energized.

For those with fog lights who want to them isolated from your head lights you will need to cut your wire harness and tap into the relay like above. Remember to seal the live wires you cut under the hood. Better to leave your harness intact except for the switch and follow the above directions.

Back