Edmunds Inside Line: CX-7 vs. RAV4 vs. Sante Fe

I've seen about a 1/2 dozen of these comparo's now and the CX-7 has won every one except the new Hondatrend...oops, I mean Motortrend magazine. It finishes 3rd according to them. It's funny how they loved the CX-7 last time, but now that their comparing it to the new Honda RDX all of a sudden there's something wrong with it and ALL the performance numbers are different.

Hondatrend is really quite hilarious, they are the only auto journalists in the world who think the new Civic is better than the Mazda 3. The other 20,000 journalists say there is absolutely NO comparison. What a freaking joke!!

I just read a comparo in MotorTrend against the Acura RDX and the Toyota RAV4 and our CX-7 finish last.(pissed) :bs:

Z_Monzter said:
I just read a comparo in MotorTrend against the Acura RDX and the Toyota RAV4 and our CX-7 finish last.(pissed) :bs:

do yo have a link??? They always put honda/acura first in a car of the year :bs:(pissed) (pissed)

wow thats quite the review... makes me want to go for a test drive!!! (or at least try to get a family member/friend to buy one so i can borrow it!!)

How about this bit from the sidebar to the Edmund's piece:

"Tasteful but a little dark, the CX-7's interior is nearly identical to that of the Mazda 6 sedan."

I personally find the two interiors much different, and much prefer that in the CX-7.

Edmunds did not include the Acura. That might have affected the outcome. Depends on how the vehicles are evaluated as much as the vehicles themselves. Different magazines use different scoring systems.

If you read the whole thing, you'll also find this at the end of the RAV4 section:

"But when we tallied the points, we realized the compromises inherent in the RAV4's package and price. Its total barely dipped under the CX-7's by 1.55 points. So close that we almost called it a tie.

"That's why the RAV4 received such a high score on the Recommended Rating for the vehicle we'd recommend to be the best for the average consumer shopping in this segment."

My take on comparison tests in general:

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/comparison_tests.php

The quick version: drive the vehicles yourself and evaluate them based on how you drive, where you drive, and what you find important.

Last edited:
Back