Pictures of our brand new CX-7

willmapp

:
Mazda CX-7
As promised here are pictures of my wife's Black Cherry Mica GT w/ TechPkg.

This happened when we returned from vacation last Thursday, we weren't on the ground for more than 2 hours.

We haven't reached the first oil change interval or payment.

Mileage: 3438
Avg MPG: 18.24

After the collision we noticed that the seats reclined, is this a safety feature or should we notify Mazda.

WLM3

accident1.bmp

accident2.bmp

accident3.bmp

accident4.bmp

accident5.bmp

accident6.bmp

accident7.bmp

accident8.bmp

How most rear enders happen probably, people not paying enough farking attention! (pissed)

Don't know about the seats. Probably will want to ask the repair shop or Mazda about that.

Everyone ok though?

No that is not normal That's fords crappy seats. My moms did that also. Have them replace them. Sorry to hear.

We were following behind someone in the left lane on Columbia Gateway drive when a car in front of us attempted to make a U-turn, since there was no seperate U-turn lane and traffic was breezing in the lane to our right, we slowed to a stop.

According to the guy that hit us, he was following behind another vehicle that quickly changed lanes. The other vehicle exposed us as being stopped and he didn't have enough time to stop or change lanes.

Instinctively, immediately after the collision, my wife turned the wheel to the left to miss the car that was trying to make a U-turn, the collision made us jump the median, but we missed the car. If you can imagine, the tow truck is parked where we were before the collision took place. Dude had to have been moving pretty fast.

Physically we are okay with some pain, and one of us has some internal issues going on. Mentally, we are pissed, especially since the likelihood of this car being totaled is next to NIL.

Make sure if they don't total it to take it to the most trusted auto body place in the area to ensure the repair job is done right.

What makes you think that won't be totalled?!?!?! The frame is definitely tweaked!!!

I'm glad to know that you and your family are as well as you are. Sorry about your incident.

I would definitely get Mazda USA to tell why the seats reclined. If they are mum, then the Insurance Institute, or NTSB should be able to get an answer from them for you.

I'm glad to see that the crumple zones appeared to absorb a lot of the impact. Those corner crashes can be wicked.

Keep us posted on the reclining seat issue.

Sorry to see that your new ride is like that, but I am glad you and your family are ok. Good luck and I hope they total it for you. Keep us posted.

wow thank God you and you family are OK , for the SUV im sorry but i wish you luck with the future ride!!!

I was rear-ended in my RX-8 by a Dodge Ram which pushed me beneath the Tahoe in front of me only a few months after getting my car. My seats reclined the same exact way yours did. I believe this is an unannounced safety feature which prevents whip-lash. After the accident I moved my seats back up and nothing has been wrong since. That was 3 years ago.

p3310010-01.jpg

p3310006-01.jpg

As an aside, my car had $12,000 worth of damage and it was not totalled. Don't expect yours to be unless the total amount of damage is near the worth of your car.

I talked to Mazda USA today.

The reclining front seats are not a safety feature and are a defect.

Hopefully we can get them replaced and have that added to the cause. I know that the driver seat has to cost a little change.

willmapp said:
I talked to Mazda USA today.

The reclining front seats are not a safety feature and are a defect.

Hopefully we can get them replaced and have that added to the cause. I know that the driver seat has to cost a little change.

How do we know if thisw is a systemic thing for this car?

Don't want to jack your thread, and I to feel your pain, but how do we other owners know, unless we get whacked in the butt like you did? This is a first run for this vehicle.

Follow-up suggestions anyone?

I looked at the pics. I'm not sure that the airbags deployed. Maybe they don't in rearenders. A reclining seat makes lap and shoulder harnesses go strange places. Many accidents are not single impact incidents. In the event of a secondary impact, I'm not sure the passengers are in a proper position to receive it, or be properly protected by the airbag system.

The airbags didn't deploy at all.

The seats WILL have to be replaced in our vehicle.

I'll keep the group abreast of any new developments, it is going to be a pain getting parts because this car is so new.

Also, in my conversation with Mazda USA, a dealer can void the warranty on any of the electrics or other mechanics if the dealer pulls apart the body panels and finds out that non-genuine Mazda parts were used in the repair. Additionally, the warranty can be voided if they find impact marks or scoring and will determine that the fault will be the cause of the accident.

I'm not sure what the legality of that is, but that is coming from Mazda themselves not the dealer.

Essentially, I may have bought a brand new car that might not have a factory warranty.

willmapp said:
Also, in my conversation with Mazda USA, a dealer can void the warranty on any of the electrics or other mechanics if the dealer pulls apart the body panels and finds out that non-genuine Mazda parts were used in the repair. Additionally, the warranty can be voided if they find impact marks or scoring and will determine that the fault will be the cause of the accident.

I'm not sure what the legality of that is, but that is coming from Mazda themselves not the dealer.

Essentially, I may have bought a brand new car that might not have a factory warranty.

That would seriously piss me off if that happened to me.

I believe at issue will be who replaces the seats. We all know how corporate entities bury the facts until the statistics become overwhelming. (How many Pinto's had to blow up before Ford said there might be a problem?) (How many Bridgestone/Firestone tires blew out before Ford said there might be a problem)

Will Mazda, since they say it's a defect, be the one replacing the seats? I doubt it, unless your insurance company takes on Mazda USA. If, as I suspect, your seats are replaced by the insurance company as a part of the overall repair, the incident will be just that, an incident. It will be buried in statistical garbledygook until the numbers become substantial.

Though I haven't had the problem, Mazda's lackluster response to a simple gas cap CEL problem should be an indicator of their management response to customer issues.

Any of you CX owners out there want to be the next number in line? I know that I don't.

Back