Turbo Kits

Does anyone make a turbo kit that works on the Mazda 5?

I would think that the extra horsepower might help the automatic some.

Thanx, Glenn |B)

http://hiboost.com/KITMAZDA3.htm

It is for a 3 but I emailed the guy (his name is Juan) and he said it will work on a 5. He does need to fab up some intercooler piping for the 5 and needs a donor car. The company is in California and Florida in case you want to let him use your car for a couple of days. :)

It's pricey for only 90 or so HP. ($4000) And some of us question the ability for the engine and transmission to be able to handle the boost. http://www.mpvclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14090

From what I've read, the stock bottom end is more than good for the numbers that kit would make. The auto tranny? Ehhhh....I'd be scared.

Not knowing jack about the durability and build quality/specs of this engine I cannot comment to its ability to handle the power. That thread I referenced has a guy talking about the rods being a weak link in a boosted 2.3L.

It's the tranny I would worry about more than anything else...well...and the money. ;)

Thanx for the inputs guys. I don't have 5 yet, someday. :)

Hopefully by then Mazda will either have a Speed version or added a turbo model.

Glenn |B)

GWDavis281 said:
Thanx for the inputs guys. I don't have 5 yet, someday. :)

Hopefully by then Mazda will either have a Speed version or added a turbo model.

Glenn |B)

Keep dreaming. The 2.3L sold in NA is already the biggest engine. Everywhere else gets a 2.0L or smaller.

Don't worry the stock block will blow out.... really. Turbo 2.3 is beefed up water jackets and steel walls FYI

The regular 3's seem to be putting down some nice #'s on boost. The only thing I might be worried about is the extra load on the engine a 5 would cause. How much heavier are they??

Zoom5Zoom said:
Don't worry the stock block will blow out.... really. Turbo 2.3 is beefed up water jackets and steel walls FYI

Your like the chicken little of the mazda5, the sky is not falling. (this thread and the rev limiter thread) You know what kills most stock n/a bottom cars with turbos? Poor fuel managment and/or spark timing, not the additional power. How can this be you ask? The engine has to be built well enough to take on inertial loads of your motor just running. Remeber every time that piston goes up and down it has to go up, stop, the reverse direction, then do it all over again. You had to add some serious pressure before the loads combustion creates goes over the loads your engine arleady sees at higher rpms. Now.. if you ignite the air/fuel mix and the flame front hits the piston before TDC... yeah you just lost a rod, head gasket, something. That or have detonation, a secondary explosion ahead of the normal flame front, thatll tear apart even a built motor. That stuff mazda did to the turbo was more like an insurance policy, lol. Take care of your motor on low boost and you could easily see 90-95% of the expected life of an n/a motor. You just have to make 100% sure your fuel and spark are right.
The thing that bothers me about the 5 is the trans as mentioned before. That extra weight, plus extra hp could lead to damage. I think with a resonable increase in power and a good cooler for the autos they should hold up. Hell whatever your pulling with that hitch would do as much damage as a modest increase in power.

If you say im wrong than the over 10 year old 2.0 from hyundai is > the mazda 2.3. People are pushing well clear of 200whp on stock internals on daily driven cars. No issues in the engine. The only one I know that blew was a guy that ran up against the stock rev limiter to many times, causing an ultra lean condition and blew a ring out on the #1 cyl. That goes back to the getting fuel/spark right. (ughdance) (thats cars under 14psi that are not blowing up, over yeah a few have gernaded, lol)

Last edited:
Detonation is the mortal enemy of power adder cars.

My 2003 Mustang GT had powdered metal connecting rods. It came from the factory making 260 crank hp, and after I added mods including a 9# Kenne Bell intercooled supercharger, it was making about 470 crank hp. All of that was on a safe tune. I had 30k miles on the blower/engine combo when I sold it back in April. She was just as strong as the day the blower went on.

Matt

Zoom5Zoom said:
I agree too lean causes major issues.... bring on the speed 5 (ughdance)

It's time to make our own.... now that the MS3's are here, it won't take long for someone to ball one up bad enough for the engine/trans/pcm to end up in the hands of a willing 5 owner/modifier (glare)

If I had the money, time, and it wasn't the wife's.....

Last edited:
MZ5 + Turbo= MZS5 (or something like that)

Thats what I'm talking about.

I imagine someone in Cali or Florida putting in the MS3 drivetrain in the MZ5. I would do it if I had the dough for that.

at the stock boost that the hiboost kit puts out, tied in with its injector setup and fuel management computer, it is well within the operational tolerances of the 2.3 liter engine. these engines have seen 250+ wheel horsepower on the dyno and held together with only fuel management, no spark/ignition control. i am not advocating pushing 12+ psi on these stock engines from a daily driver standpoint, but they can handle 7 psi without a problem.

if people want to go truly nuts ( on a 5, why, but there are surely some who do no doubt ) there are excellent piston and rod options out there for this engine.

Hey Captain. It has been awhile since I spoke with ya. I used to caht with ya a bit when I had my P5.

Like you said as long as the engine management is taken care of, a turbo setup for a daily driver should be no problem. I think though their might be a problem with the auto tranny holding up to the additional power. If it is as weak as the one in the P5 was, then is could be a problem. I am hoping that Mazda made the tranny a bit better since the MZ5 has a few more pounds to move around town.

I would welcome a turbo setup even if I only gained 50-90 hp. Would help with the zoom zoom.

Hey, you have any info if any compnay is making a catback exhaust for the 5? I know SR motorsports does but I don't really care for the tip and it is also a bit pricey for just a cat back even if stainless.

Please keep the MZ5 goodies rolling in. :)

Hey Captain. It has been awhile since I spoke with ya. I used to caht with ya a bit when I had my P5.

Like you said as long as the engine management is taken care of, a turbo setup for a daily driver should be no problem. I think though their might be a problem with the auto tranny holding up to the additional power. If it is as weak as the one in the P5 was, then is could be a problem. I am hoping that Mazda made the tranny a bit better since the MZ5 has a few more pounds to move around town.

I would welcome a turbo setup even if I only gained 50-90 hp. Would help with the zoom zoom.

Hey, you have any info if any compnay is making a catback exhaust for the 5? I know SR motorsports does but I don't really care for the tip and it is also a bit pricey for just a cat back even if stainless.

Please keep the MZ5 goodies rolling in. :)

i just installed a Thunder header on my 5 tonight. its designed for the 3 but it bolts right up! the tranny is pretty much identical to whats in the 3. i'm thinking of adding a trans cooler but i don't want to screw with my warranty too much on this car. I/H/E and springs might be as far as i go.

from what i've seen, mazda3 catbacks will with a bit of modification fit the 5. i am going to try it as soon as i get my hands on one.

i just installed a Thunder header on my 5 tonight. its designed for the 3 but it bolts right up! the tranny is pretty much identical to whats in the 3. i'm thinking of adding a trans cooler but i don't want to screw with my warranty too much on this car. I/H/E and springs might be as far as i go.

from what i've seen, mazda3 catbacks will with a bit of modification fit the 5. i am going to try it as soon as i get my hands on one.

Any pics of the install?

Back