Better air flow

G-Papi

:
'07 Mazda6s Grand Touring Automatic 5D Tropical Island Blue
Removing the baffle under the air filter seems to smooth out the power band, increase the power, and (heehee) make it sound better. I wonder if it helps gas mileage.

It's directly beneath the air filter. It's a simple clip in-and-out plastic baffle, whose purpose (I believe) is noise reduction. It can be replaced whenever you like by simply clipping it back in place.

Yeah I've always had a tendancy to rip those out of every car I own. lol Haven't gotten around to it on the CX-7 though. Might be something I do this evening.

G-Papi said:
Removing the baffle under the air filter seems to smooth out the power band, increase the power, and (heehee) make it sound better. I wonder if it helps gas mileage.

Great find G, I just took mine off. I don't forsee any difference in gas mileage because of this. It will get the filter dirty faster, but that's what they are for. As long as you change it annualy as you are supposed to, you should be fine.(glare)

I can't wait till they make a K&N filter for the CX-7. Or if there is please anybody let me know.

Last edited:
Z_Monzter said:
Great find G, I just took mine off. I don't forsee any difference in gas mileage because of this. It will get the filter dirty faster, but that's what they are for. As long as you change it annualy as you are supposed to, you should be fine.(glare)

I can't wait till they make a K&N filter for the CX-7. Or if there is please anybody let me know.

There were some other threads. I believe I saw where the Speed6 filter is the same one.

G-Papi said:
There were some other threads. I believe I saw where the Speed6 filter is the same one.

Hmm, thanks G, I am going to check into that. K&N is definatelly worth it.

Z_Monzter said:
Hmm, thanks G, I am going to check into that. K&N is definatelly worth it.

I am going to try out a cold air intake (cia) from a mazda 6 soon! ill let you guyz know or even add a sound clip to the post if i can!
dont see why it wont work! more room in the cx cause we owned a 6 before this! lets see(peep)

CEW73 said:
I am going to try out a cold air intake (cia) from a mazda 6 soon! ill let you guyz know or even add a sound clip to the post if i can!
dont see why it wont work! more room in the cx cause we owned a 6 before this! lets see(peep)

Can't wait to hear it! (glare)

CEW73 said:

any results yet?

Z_Monzter said:
I don't forsee any difference in gas mileage because of this.

So, I took out the baffle, and ended up with the lowest mpg I've gotten yet on the next tank. I did do some "car flirting" on that tank, though, which had me leapfrogging past another car over and over again. I'll see what the mpg on the next tankfull is.

I haven't driven enough yet to get a fix on the mpg. Maybe next week.

Look at the air filter box. There are finger clips on all sides, and as I recall, two on the front.

Unclip the clips. Remove the air filter cover. It may ease matters if you unscrew the hose clamp to the air intake and remove the hose from the cover. Reinstallation is a snap, so not to worry.

Being careful not to tear the air filter, or distort in any way, remove the air filter by lifting straight up. Remember which side is up.

You will see the bottom of the box, which is a flat surface. Clipped to it is the baffle. Using a flat screwdriver, unclip it from the body of the box. Do not damage the baffle in the process. It should be a simple snap-out operation. Wipe out any dust in the bottom of the box.

Reinstall the filter, and close the cover, being certain that the filter seals properly on all sides of the box, and there is no interference with reclosing the box. Be sure that all clips are re-attached, along with the intake air hose, if you disconnected it previously.

Save your baffle. Re-install it if taking the car for warranty service, or for when you trade it in for the 2009 model.

Last edited:
Yes it's in the bottom of the air box.

No you can't have a picture! :p

j/k I'll see if I can snap one this evening if no one else does first.

Here's the pics.

Here is the airbox in all it's glory!

cx-7airbox.jpg

Shot with the cover off and filter exposed. (I found it easier to remove the lid with the plug to the MAF disconnected and removed from the wire harness clip on the box)

cx-7filter.jpg

Bottom of the airbox before the mod.

cx-7airboxmodbefore.jpg

Bottom of the airbox after the mod.

cx-7airboxmodafter.jpg

Piece that was removed from the airbox.

cx-7airboxremovedpiece.jpg

Back