Ground Wire Kit

isda65

:
2006 Mazda 5
Has anybody ever considered installing additional ground wires (4-gauge) on the 5 to improve performance?

I have posted in the Edmunds forum a while back about my car shaking when starting it up and one poster who had a similar issue commented that he got a mechanic friend to replace one ground wire (he didn't mention which one) and that got rid of the problem. Since that time, I have looked around for info on ground wire kits in my spare time and learned about the improvements (smoother idle, improved throttle response, clearer audio, smoother shifting, etc.) one can achieve by doing so. I have looked under the hood and saw at least two ground wires but couldn't see how and where I can fit the others as it seemed space is really tight. I have also considered getting a manual just to have an idea of where things are.

So does anyone think this to be a worthwhile investment?

Thanks.

Only thing I've ever heard of is grounding the throttle body.

Getting a manual is always a worthwhile investment. However, pretty soon I'm sure one will show up online.

It really depends on what you want to accomplish with the better grounding. The sensors/ECU are grounded at the chassis and you would be better off using a large ground wire from the battery to the chassis. I put a 0 gauge wire from the chassis to the battery. That helped. If you want to improve the starter/alternator ground, you can add another 0 gauge wire from the engine to the battery, or better yet, engine to chassis.

All that is grounded at the engine is the starter and alternator. The rest is grounded at the chassis.

Back