Want appropriate turbo SOUND? Takes 2 seconds....

lllateralus

:
2007 liquid plat. CX-7
BUT!!!!! This requires a little modding to be safe for the car.
Im sure one of you has done this, (at least) but just for fun I unclipped the 4 airbox clips, pulled it up about an inch away from the filter and kind of kinked it in there so that it was pulling air directly in, and not going through the resonance chambers and killing the sound.

Sounds awesome! Thats a turbo car should sound. Even the recirculating BOV is audible. (sounds similar to a conventional 'vent to atmosphere' BOV)

You can really hear the turbo like this, but the air is unfiltered, so dont do it for long. (you CAN mod the airbox to make this a reversable 'permanent' mod though)

Anyways the car is doing something that concerns me, and it might be tied with my 'hesitating in third gear' post.

Try to imagine what I say here... getting on the freeway in manual mode, third gear, full throttle the car feels quick. BUT, tonight I let off the throttle, then floored it again and there is a split second of STRONG acceleration then it settles. Hard to explain over computer, but you can even hear the turbo spool HIGHER for the split second. This makes me think the engine/computer is bleeding boost for some reason.

The split second feels like an additional 40HP+. It really kicked me in my seat hard, then settled to the normal third gear acceleration im used to over the last 2300 miles.

Remember, mid RPM full throttle accel., (maybe 4500) third gear manual mode, and I release throttle, then jab it again.. and the car feels like it gets full boost for about half a second. Like for that half second its boosting 16 lbs, then settles to 10. It would do this repeatedly if I let off throttle, then jab it in.

Any ideas? I can only imagine how much faster the car would be if it would boost like that all the time. It felt MUCH stronger for those short moments.

Cool night, about 70 degrees btw, windows down, and with airbox altered, I could hear the turbo spool very clearly. :confused:

When I brake stronger than normal and then put my foot back on the gas there seems to be an unsmooth gear transition or something and I feel a little jolt. This has happened twice to me -- is this what you are experiencing?

lllateralus said:
Im sure one of you has done this, (at least) but just for fun I unclipped the 4 airbox clips, pulled it up about an inch away from the filter and kind of kinked it in there so that it was pulling air directly in, and not going through the resonance chambers and killing the sound.

Sounds awesome! Thats a turbo car should sound. Even the recirculating BOV is audible. (sounds similar to a conventional 'vent to atmosphere' BOV)

You can really hear the turbo like this, but the air is unfiltered, so dont do it for long. (you CAN mod the airbox to make this a reversable 'permanent' mod though)

Anyways the car is doing something that concerns me, and it might be tied with my 'hesitating in third gear' post.

Try to imagine what I say here... getting on the freeway in manual mode, third gear, full throttle the car feels quick. BUT, tonight I let off the throttle, then floored it again and there is a split second of STRONG acceleration then it settles. Hard to explain over computer, but you can even hear the turbo spool HIGHER for the split second. This makes me think the engine/computer is bleeding boost for some reason.

The split second feels like an additional 40HP+. It really kicked me in my seat hard, then settled to the normal third gear acceleration im used to over the last 2300 miles.

Remember, mid RPM full throttle accel., (maybe 4500) third gear manual mode, and I release throttle, then jab it again.. and the car feels like it gets full boost for about half a second. Like for that half second its boosting 16 lbs, then settles to 10. It would do this repeatedly if I let off throttle, then jab it in.

Any ideas? I can only imagine how much faster the car would be if it would boost like that all the time. It felt MUCH stronger for those short moments.

Cool night, about 70 degrees btw, windows down, and with airbox altered, I could hear the turbo spool very clearly. :confused:

if u unhook the box and just suck it in with no restriction on a stock ecu you WILL lean out up top. we tried this on the dyno on my msp for s**** and giggles. if u want more air in there get an intake. dont risk your engine, its not calibrated for just an open tube.

Probably a boost spike or the bypass valve bleading off boost. Only way to tell for sure would be to stick a boost guage on it and see what she reads. I've wanted to on mine but all the places on the firewall to run a line inside the cabin suck for access.

lllateralus said:

Dude, your right! instead of just leaving it unclipped, me and my buddy flipped the top cover over and put the filter in ass backwards and took it for a drive! sounds awesome!!!!!:(shocked) now i can pull up to a light and get this suka to sound like the TURBO is present(enguard) cheap C.A.I fix.....now it has a blow off valve(glare) !

^^I don't recommend doing that. The filter probably already had some crap in it and if you don't have anything sealing it down it will let crap in the side gaps.

1Sleepy93 said:
^^I don't recommend doing that. The filter probably already had some crap in it and if you don't have anything sealing it down it will let crap in the side gaps.

i forgott to mention i also wrapped a pair of panty hose around the top box also(shocked) and no.... new k&n filter for the 7!

Last edited by a moderator:
CEW73 said:
i forgott to mention i also wrapped a pair of panty hose around the top box also(shocked) and no.... new k&n filter for the 7!

I hope your CX is a female! (shocked) LOL

CEW73 said:

WOW, that's what I called "El Cheapo Modifier" LOL, I hope you don't damage your MAF sensor.

C.P.E is almost done with the c.a.i they just brought our cx-7 back to us from fabing it up ,so it should be done soon , U want the ultimate turbo sound , wait till that comes out and put that on .I have a speed 6 and I put there c.a.i on and omg its a big diff It will put a smile on your face..

Now since the MS6 has a very simular engine/turbo setup wouldn't a MS6 Blow off valve work for us. This would not only give us the zoom zoom pssst, but also filtered air.

CXseven said:
Hmm, maybe ill just stick to a CAI. :p

good idea.

Car companies work so hard to make having a turbo a transparent part of car ownership and all you people just kill that :p

i kind want to make a beast out of my mom's car, but im too busy worrying about my own vehicle needs

Back