CX7 engine question....

cruzdreamer

:
Former owner of Mazda CX 7 GT Electric Blue
Ok guys...is this a brand new engine for Mazda or is this the same engine they put in the Mazdaspeed 6?? Is it a modified version of the MSP6? Have they had a lot of trouble with that engine? Well, the reason I am asking is now my husband is very leary of first year cars and for some reason I am always wanting a first year car! I know they have their fair share of issues...I have the RX 8 and had to have one when it came out. Now I hear they may be replacing the engines on the 04's and maybe 05's. I have had issues with mine along the way and power is not what it should be in my automatic. I have had a few reflashes and other small items but now after hearing this I feel I deserve a new engine and now I really want to get another vehicle. When I told the hubby about the RX 8he says this is why he's now reluctant to get the CX 7....I am feeling bummed. I love the CX 7 and it's hard to wait another year and I may settle for something else like a 5....which is nice, but not like the CX 7. I am a car nut and was so looking forward to a CX 7 in my driveway next month and now I am not so sure it will happen!!! Thanks for any help you can provide!

cruzdreamer said:
Ok guys...is this a brand new engine for Mazda or is this the same engine they put in the Mazdaspeed 6?? Is it a modified version of the MSP6? Have they had a lot of trouble with that engine? Well, the reason I am asking is now my husband is very leary of first year cars and for some reason I am always wanting a first year car! I know they have their fair share of issues...I have the RX 8 and had to have one when it came out. Now I hear they may be replacing the engines on the 04's and maybe 05's. I have had issues with mine along the way and power is not what it should be in my automatic. I have had a few reflashes and other small items but now after hearing this I feel I deserve a new engine and now I really want to get another vehicle. When I told the hubby about the RX 8he says this is why he's now reluctant to get the CX 7....I am feeling bummed. I love the CX 7 and it's hard to wait another year and I may settle for something else like a 5....which is nice, but not like the CX 7. I am a car nut and was so looking forward to a CX 7 in my driveway next month and now I am not so sure it will happen!!! Thanks for any help you can provide!

The cx7 engine is a modified version of the mazda speed 6. They increased the torque that is why the engine reaches 244 mph instead of 274mph. I have not heard of any problems with the mazda speed 6 engine. Have you guys test driven the cx7? Its another class of vehicle.

Hmmmm...

varek said:
The cx7 engine is a modified version of the mazda speed 6. They increased the torque that is why the engine reaches 244 mph instead of 274mph. I have not heard of any problems with the mazda speed 6 engine. Have you guys test driven the cx7? Its another class of vehicle.
Thanks for your response....Yes, we have driven the CX 7....I myself 3 times, the hubby once... we both loved it! I guess I need reinforcement to convince the hubby that it won't be like the RX 8. I figured it was modified in some way but was not sure.....guess I need to do research on the MSP 6. Thanks!! I just emailed Mazda to see if I can get a new engine in my RX 8.

It's the same 2.3l DISI turbo engine that's used in the Mazdaspeed 6 and the upcoming Mazdaspeed 3, with the only major difference being it uses a smaller turbo, which means the turbo gives more low-end torque (you get boost at lower rpm's), while sacrificing some power at high rpm's (hence the lower horsepower rating vs. the Mazdaspeed 6).

Engine wise, the CX-7 obviously has nothing in common with the RX-8 - the rotary engine is a completely different and unconventional technology, while the turbo 4-cyl engine (like in the CX-7) is used by many automakers (Volkswageh/Audi uses the 1.8T and 2.0T engines in almost all their vehicles). That said, It's a first model year, so there will likely be some issues as more people put more miles on their CX-7... but the engine is not entirely new, it's been used for a couple years now in Japan, Europe and the U.S. on the Mazdaspeed 6.

varek said:
Surely you mean 244 hp... ;)

Otto said:
It's the same 2.3l DISI turbo engine that's used in the Mazdaspeed 6 and the upcoming Mazdaspeed 3, with the only major difference being it uses a smaller turbo, which means the turbo gives more low-end torque (you get boost at lower rpm's), while sacrificing some power at high rpm's (hence the lower horsepower rating vs. the Mazdaspeed 6).

Engine wise, the CX-7 obviously has nothing in common with the RX-8 - the rotary engine is a completely different and unconventional technology, while the turbo 4-cyl engine (like in the CX-7) is used by many automakers (Volkswageh/Audi uses the 1.8T and 2.0T engines in almost all their vehicles). That said, It's a first model year, so there will likely be some issues as more people put more miles on their CX-7... but the engine is not entirely new, it's been used for a couple years now in Japan, Europe and the U.S. on the Mazdaspeed 6.
Totally right that the RX 8 is a different animal all together. I am not comparing it, but the hubby hates the idea of a first year car. I know they have to get the kinks out so I am trying to see if the engine has been around for a bit. I had a first year Protege 5 wagon for 2 years no issues at all but I think it was the same engine in the Proteges. Thanks for the clarification Otto. It will take some thought and convincing to get the hubby on board now.

cruzdreamer said:
Totally right that the RX 8 is a different animal all together. I am not comparing it, but the hubby hates the idea of a first year car. I know they have to get the kinks out so I am trying to see if the engine has been around for a bit. I had a first year Protege 5 wagon for 2 years no issues at all but I think it was the same engine in the Proteges. Thanks for the clarification Otto. It will take some thought and convincing to get the hubby on board now.

Tell your guy that I've got over 5k miles on my CX, and no motor issues, other than the noise at first gear change, which Mazda identified and corrected in all vehicles manufactured after May 20th. Ones like mine are being retrofitted at Mazda's expense with the modified shaft.

Get it, You'll love it.

Mazda engines are VERY stout... especially when they are built to handle boost. (2.3!)

Ours has been great for 2K miles.. and I have no doubt about the reliability.
Ours has the typical surge under full throttle that I am thinking the dealer ecu flash will take care of.

these engines are very reliable!
They are currently using them in the Champ Car Atlantic series carts! They are putting out 300 H.P very easily! They have been in production for a few years.

http://www.champcaratlantic.com/Sponsors.asp

For the 2006 season, Mazda will expand its motorsports participation to include the Champ Car Atlantic Championship. All Atlantics will be powered by identical Mazda-supplied, Cosworth-engineered, 2.3-liter MZR engines producing 300-horsepower. The MZR powers the MAZDA3, MAZDA5, MAZDA6, MAZDASPEED6, MX-5, Tribute and B-Series, the Ford Fusion, Focus, Escape and Ranger, and the Mercury Milan. It is indeed versatile, ranging from 1.6-liters and 105-hp as fitted to the B-class MAZDA2, all the way to the 276-hp direct-injection turbo version fitted to the MAZDASPEED6sedan and upcoming MAZDASPEED3.

The extension of Mazda's motorsports involvement to the Champ Car Atlantic Championship is another rung on the company's open-wheel motorsports ladder -- budding drivers can begin in the steel-chassis rotary-powered Formula Mazda or MZR-powered Formula SCCA, graduate to the carbon fiber professional Formula Mazda, and then culminate in the Atlantic car, stepping from there into a professional career in the highest levels of motorsports.

I want it!

Thanks gang...you are all helping me with my cause....I want the CX 7 real bad and really was bumming to think that maybe I won't get it cuz the hubby is worried about it and it's reliability. I am just as excited about the CX 7 as I was getting my RX 8. I am a sporty type person and this has sportiness and class and some cargo space....exactly what I am looking for!! I was reading the Mazdaspeed 6 threads and they are having some issues, but I will not mention that to the hubby....all cars have issues in my mind...some more than others. Anyone else want to convince my hubby some more! Thanks much!!!:)

cruzdreamer said:
Thanks gang...you are all helping me with my cause....I want the CX 7 real bad and really was bumming to think that maybe I won't get it cuz the hubby is worried about it and it's reliability. I am just as excited about the CX 7 as I was getting my RX 8. I am a sporty type person and this has sportiness and class and some cargo space....exactly what I am looking for!! I was reading the Mazdaspeed 6 threads and they are having some issues, but I will not mention that to the hubby....all cars have issues in my mind...some more than others. Anyone else want to convince my hubby some more! Thanks much!!!:)
I think they are calibrating the mazda speed 6 engine exhaust system. Its a simple mazda ecu flash procedure.

Last edited:
cruzdreamer said:

I am at work right now. The wife is off today so she let me borrow the CX-7 so I can pimp it out, specially cause my friend was car pulling with me to work today. I got to tell ya, since is the first time that I get to drive it by myself after being familiar with how it handles (I don't go crazy un a car unless I am familiar with it). I absolutely love this thing, it is plenty fast for an SUV and it handles like a car with a sports suspension. Ohh, the brakes are da S#!T, I am jealous on that one cause I feel that the breaks are in a way nicer than my Z. This thing moves, specially comparing it to the POS Montero Sport that we had before. I think I really hooked my wife up with this one.

HEY, cruzdreamer's Hubby!!!

Some advice here!!!

Your wife will be so much nicer to you and more loving if you buy her a CX-7 like I did. Damn, its been a month now and she still treating me nice. Just for that reason The CX-7 IS A GOOD BUY.

LOL Just trying to help!!!

Z_Monzter said:
I am at work right now. The wife is off today so she let me borrow the CX-7 so I can pimp it out, specially cause my friend was car pulling with me to work today. I got to tell ya, since is the first time that I get to drive it by myself after being familiar with how it handles (I don't go crazy un a car unless I am familiar with it). I absolutely love this thing, it is plenty fast for an SUV and it handles like a car with a sports suspension. Ohh, the brakes are da S#!T, I am jealous on that one cause I feel that the breaks are in a way nicer than my Z. This thing moves, specially comparing it to the POS Montero Sport that we had before. I think I really hooked my wife up with this one.

Some advice here!!!

Your wife will be so much nicer to you and more loving if you buy her a CX-7 like I did. Damn, its been a month now and she still treating me nice. Just for that reason The CX-7 IS A GOOD BUY.

(shocked) (shocked) worked for me as well, ive even lost 6 lbs.....hint(glare)

Z_Monzter said:

Some advice here!!!

Thanks...but he won't believe that.....he would say, "I got her the RX 8 and nothing changed". Only because he basically did not make it very pleasant for me to have it....he complained and I felt bad....he hated the car, hated the fact he put a nice down payment on it and felt he was in a corner because I wanted it so bad. I don't want him to feel this way about this car. I am trying to hold back and not talk about it like I did the 8. I had promised to keep it for 5 years and it's only been 3 years. Things have changed since then though....have my own jewelry biz so I need storage, my son got taller and hates being in my car....he use to love it! I just need the space now. He loves the CX 7 so that is good.....he feels better about this purchase since we will be getting a better deal...the 8 I only got $500 off MSRP. So, STAY TUNED....

cruzdreamer said:
Thanks...but he won't believe that.....he would say, "I got her the RX 8 and nothing changed". Only because he basically did not make it very pleasant for me to have it....he complained and I felt bad....he hated the car, hated the fact he put a nice down payment on it and felt he was in a corner because I wanted it so bad. I don't want him to feel this way about this car. I am trying to hold back and not talk about it like I did the 8. I had promised to keep it for 5 years and it's only been 3 years. Things have changed since then though....have my own jewelry biz so I need storage, my son got taller and hates being in my car....he use to love it! I just need the space now. He loves the CX 7 so that is good.....he feels better about this purchase since we will be getting a better deal...the 8 I only got $500 off MSRP. So, STAY TUNED....

That sounds like you will be buying soon...........Good luck

Back