Sport Auto Tranny Downshift at Stop

G-Papi

:
'07 Mazda6s Grand Touring Automatic 5D Tropical Island Blue
If you're gonna flame me for this question, then take a number, and get in line.

(chair)

I've noticed that when driving in the manual mode, and rolling to a stop, the tranny will automatically downshift. This is as it should be, and I understand that part. The question I have is about what determines downshifts to 1st, or 2nd. Is there any set of conditions that specifivally calls for a downshift to 2nd as opposed to going all the way down to 1st?

If I'm paying attention when it only goes to 2nd, a tap of the lever will bring it all the way down to 1st. If I'm not paying attention, a 2nd gear start is like getting an aircraft carrier up to speed before it gets into the torque band and enough rpm's to get boost. I've gone to giving the shift lever a "courtesy tap" while at a light, just to make sure it's in 1st. For some reason, I'm annoyed by having to look at the gauge cluster to see if I'll start like a mazda, or a freight train.

Anybody else experience this, or am I just too picky?

Mine always goes to 1st when I come to a complete stop. I seem to remember reading something about a 2nd gear start mode in the owners manual but I'm pretty sure that was a temporary setting. I'll fiddle with mine today and see if I can get it to do the same.

I dont think I would let it do that if I were you... (unless your driving on snow and want to be extra safe)

That builds alot heat in the tranny.....

it's normal for automatic trannies. If you're coasting, it stays in gear rather long. Just switch to manual mode and downshift as soon as you're ready to hit the accelerator.

My RX 8 has this and it shifts down to first. I never seen it start out in second...it goes down to first automatically.

The 6-speed in my former Mazda6 and now CX-7 always downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop. It'll actually usually go from 3rd directly to 1st as I coast to a stop. If your car only downshifts to 2nd and then launches in 2nd, that's not normal IMO and you shoul have it checked out ASAP.

Scheduled the tranny checkout at the same time the shaft is to be replaced under warranty for the clicking noise shifting from park to reverse. Modified shaft is on order.

Back