Replacing stock speakers

tdf2001

I have the standard non-bose system. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement set?

I should really ask: what can I do to improve the sound quality? The stock system sounds acceptable but just barely so. I have seen the thread where the radio was replaced. I'd be open to that but not cutting my own front bezel....

tdf2001 said:
I have the standard non-bose system. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement set?

I should really ask: what can I do to improve the sound quality? The stock system sounds acceptable but just barely so. I have seen the thread where the radio was replaced. I'd be open to that but not cutting my own front bezel....

I like Kenwood, good quality. I recommend you get at least a 3 way speaker.

Rockford Fosgate, Polk, and Infinity are all replacements I would recommend. I've had each in different setups in various cars. Just don't go for the low end.

Rainbow or DLS speakers are the shiet!!! Expensive, but the definitely the s***....

If you are looking for a simple upgrade, you need to get some 5x7 inch replacement speakers(polk, infinity, kenwood, etc...)with tweeters in them. They will fit in the doors without drilling, cutting etc. . As far as the radio goes, it doesnt sound bad, just doesn't get very loud before it cuts all the bass and treble out. I replaced my radio because:
1) the bass and treble drop at higher volumes
2) I wanted to use the dvd player that I paid 400 bucks for!
3) I am hooking up my old system, and have to have the best sound quality!
There are solutions out there to keep the stock radio, and build a huge system on it. Look at Audio Control's website, they have a high quality line converter that takes your speaker outputs from the radio and converts to low level signals for amplifiers. Or, buy amps that have speaker level inputs, most companys have some decent ones(MTX, Infinity). Since nobody makes any cx-7 specific install kits yet, you will need to have a system custom installed if you want amps, subs, or a new deck. I'm fortunate that I have the skill and experience to do this myself, but obviously not everyone has that. It's just a question of how quality you want your sound to be, and how much you wanna pay for it. Good Luck

My boyfriend just finished putting some Diamond D371i 5x7 coaxials in all 4 doors and they are running off a JL Audio e2150 amp he very "stealthly" mounted and installed. The sound kicks a$$. I'd definatley recommend Diamond Audio. Or if you really want killer sound, then you could get some really nice 6.5" components ( Diamond HEX, Rainbows, Focals, etc.)after getting some of these https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) (thumb)
DSCF0456.JPG

DSCF0460.JPG

Last edited:
cx-7heaven said:
If you are looking for a simple upgrade, you need to get some 5x7 inch replacement speakers(polk, infinity, kenwood, etc...)with tweeters in them. They will fit in the doors without drilling, cutting etc. . As far as the radio goes, it doesnt sound bad, just doesn't get very loud before it cuts all the bass and treble out. I replaced my radio because:
1) the bass and treble drop at higher volumes
2) I wanted to use the dvd player that I paid 400 bucks for!
3) I am hooking up my old system, and have to have the best sound quality!
There are solutions out there to keep the stock radio, and build a huge system on it. Look at Audio Control's website, they have a high quality line converter that takes your speaker outputs from the radio and converts to low level signals for amplifiers. Or, buy amps that have speaker level inputs, most companys have some decent ones(MTX, Infinity). Since nobody makes any cx-7 specific install kits yet, you will need to have a system custom installed if you want amps, subs, or a new deck. I'm fortunate that I have the skill and experience to do this myself, but obviously not everyone has that. It's just a question of how quality you want your sound to be, and how much you wanna pay for it. Good Luck

I kept my stock head unit and added a JL Audio LOC (about $20). The sound is great. Here is a suggestion my boyfriend said (he installed it and has a ton of experience custom installing car audio); if you use a LOC to convert 2 channels off the stock deck to RCAs; for the cleanest sound; use the RCAs off of the LOC to go directly into the amp; you tend to get more interference when adding another set of RCAs off of the LOC. In other words, don't convert your speakers to RCAs right behind the deck and then run RCAs all the way to the amp. I went with JL Audio for the amp and it has RCA-outs if I ever want to add another amp for a subwoofer.

The main reason I wanted to keep the stock deck isfor the 6-dics changer and I definatley wanted to keep the steering wheel controls.

Yeah, I lost the steering controls, but jvc does make a thingus to interface. cx7Girl, did your bf at least screw the amp down to something? If it's laying around under there loose, you are asking for trouble. You are right about the LOC's, cut them in just before the amp, or else ya pick up some noise.

cx-7heaven said:
Yeah, I lost the steering controls, but jvc does make a thingus to interface. cx7Girl, did your bf at least screw the amp down to something? If it's laying around under there loose, you are asking for trouble. You are right about the LOC's, cut them in just before the amp, or else ya pick up some noise.
Oh yes of course he screwed it down. He made a wooden platform, carpeted it and screwed it down to the body metal, then screwed the amp to the platform. Easy to remve, easy to switch settings, easy to get at, etc. JVC makes a Mazda interface? My bf has a G35 and he said that he used a company called PAC who makes interfaces, http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Steering Wheel Interface
Now that I'm checking this site out, it looks like they make steering wheel interfaces, iPod stuff, all sorts of things.

Back