Steel Winter Wheels

hogansvt

:
5-Speed Mazda 5
I was told that Tire Rack will not have steel wheels to fit the 5 this winter. Any suggestions for a steel winter wheelset?

I now have 16" Tire Rack alloys with BFG Traction T/A's and love them! Also I have my 17"' OEM alloys with the Toyo's for sale. I am having a very hard time selling the whole package at $495.00 for the whole wheelset. Is my price too high? They only have 9k miles.

Little bit off topic here, but can you give a little more info on the BF Goodrich Traction T/A. I am thinking about going with the T/A when my toyo's (16") wears out.

Thanks

Last edited:
canadianexpress said:
Little bit off topic here, but can you give a little more info on the BF Goodrich Traction T/A. I am thinking about going with the T/A when my toyo's (16") wears out.

Thanks

I can give some feedback on the Traction T/A. I had them on two saturns and on my mothers Acura Legend coupe. They are a good tire for the money. I have 15,000 miles on the one Saturn set and have not had much trouble. The only issue is on two of them there appears to be some cracking in the outer tread. There is a tread that goes down the side of the tire and it is in that tread that I am noticing some cracking. This issue is not appearing on my mother's Acura, but she only has about 6,000 miles on hers. They do function well in all weather conditions and I managed to get two sets of 195 15's for around $600.00 which works out to about $75.00 per tire installed.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about changing both my vehicles (Mazda V, and Acura 1.6el (canadian model similar to honda civic si w/4 door) to these tires.

Cheers.

Hmm.
I was thinking that steel wheels from Mazda 3 should fit. They have the same offset.

Regarding BF GoodRich T/A. I have them on my Protege. They're good tires but they are noisy at least if to compare with my OEM BridgeStone Potenza RE92

16" Steel wheels

Anybody advise me what size 16" rim I need for the M5
I was wondering if it was 16x _____. Or would a standard
16" 5 bolt fit ?
Please let me know, or if any Canadians have done this already?
Zoom5Zoom ?

BTW, Tire Rack is listing 16" steelies alone or in tire packages right now. Perhaps it's just the TPMS option they're not dealing with(?).

bulwnkl said:
BTW, Tire Rack is listing 16" steelies alone or in tire packages right now. Perhaps it's just the TPMS option they're not dealing with(?).

Shouldn't be a prob, The 5 doesn't have TPMS!

What's TPMS? I'm guessing the tire pressure monitor? If so, it's just that the user manual talk about it and I was wondering if N.A. models had these...

The biggest problem I see with the Mazda wheels is they are Hub centric. Most steelies seem to be lug centric. My dicussion with Mazda mechanics, they indicated that the design of their hubs and wheels make a hub centric wheel a better fit than a "universal wheel. Unfortunately it makes the steelies a bit more expensive as they have to be made more accurately.

P_bouchr said:
What's TPMS? I'm guessing the tire pressure monitor? If so, it's just that the user manual talk about it and I was wondering if N.A. models had these...

Total sidebar here, but TPMS comes standard on 5 Touring with Navi here in the States.

was98strat said:
The biggest problem I see with the Mazda wheels is they are Hub centric. Most steelies seem to be lug centric. My dicussion with Mazda mechanics, they indicated that the design of their hubs and wheels make a hub centric wheel a better fit than a "universal wheel. Unfortunately it makes the steelies a bit more expensive as they have to be made more accurately.
I thought earlier I had the info but later got the same response from the Mazda dealer as 98strat. The Mazda dealer said the hubs from Walmart or Canadian tire dont properly fit and are just held on by bolts and not on the hub.
The quote I got was $931.00 PLUS taxes...from Mazda.
HELP !!

Medicman said:
I thought earlier I had the info but later got the same response from the Mazda dealer as 98strat. The Mazda dealer said the hubs from Walmart or Canadian tire dont properly fit and are just held on by bolts and not on the hub.
The quote I got was $931.00 PLUS taxes...from Mazda.
HELP !!

OUch, what tires are they quoting on? I have it from Ajax Mazda that a set of winter suva eskimo's on 16's will be around $825 Aparently someone on this board got Pirelli Winter carving on 16 steelies from Gyro Mazda (Scarborough) for $795

was98strat said:
OUch, what tires are they quoting on? I have it from Ajax Mazda that a set of winter suva eskimo's on 16's will be around $825 Aparently someone on this board got Pirelli Winter carving on 16 steelies from Gyro Mazda (Scarborough) for $795

That would be me. Gyro Mazda sells pirelli tires to all other Mazda dealerships. Got it last year for that price but not sure what they are charging now. The aftermarket hub centric 16" steelies from Gyro was about $60 (if my memory serves me well) and then you can go with any tires. (heard good things about Hankook Icebear W300). Hope this helps.

By the way, if anyone is changing the tires by themself, invest in a sledge hammer. No amount of kicking will get that wheel off.

Cheers

Last edited:
was98strat said:

The quote I got was from a Dealership near Chatham.. I am not even sure
what kind or style...( it was through a guy I know, also a 5 owner, who knows someone at the dealership)

canadianexpress said:
That would be me. Gyro Mazda sells pirelli tires to all other Mazda dealerships. Got it last year for that price but not sure what they are charging now. The aftermarket hub centric 16" steelies from Gyro was about $60 (if my memory serves me well) and then you can go with any tires. (heard good things about Hankook Icebear W300). Hope this helps.

By the way, if anyone is changing the tires by themself, invest in a sledge hammer. No amount of kicking will get that wheel off.

Cheers
Where is Gyro at ?? I guess I can do a search.
I prob just need the rims and and can get the tires locally.

canadianexpress said:

Cheers

CE,

Is it the Steelies that are hard to get off?? or are you talking about the ALU rims? I just had my tires rotated (with my 8k il change) and they seemed to come off pretty easy. I think some anti-seaze compound might be in order on the hub before the rims are installed to prevent the rims from sticking to the hubs

Back