Do K&N Air filters really make a difference?

russr

:
Mazda6 6i 5-door 2004
It's time to replace my air filter on my 2004 6i. Currently I've got the OEM air filter in there. Just wondering whether the K&N air filters really do improve performance, mileage, etc. The K&N costs $15 more.

BTW, where's a good place to buy this stuff online?

Honestly I don't think so, but if you do buy one it will be the last air filter you'll ever need to buy for your car.

Can you tell me why it will be the last? I just saw that the OEM air filter is only like $18 at mazdastuff.com. The K&N is almost $40!

How often do these things (OEM) need to be replaced anyway?

russr said:
Can you tell me why it will be the last? I just saw that the OEM air filter is only like $18 at mazdastuff.com. The K&N is almost $40!

How often do these things (OEM) need to be replaced anyway?

most OEM paper filters should be replaced every 15-20k miles, depending on how dirty your roads are.

once you buy the K&N replacement filter, all you'll need to do is to wash and clean it every 30-50k miles and it'll last for the life of your car.

and that's the biggest benefit of switching to a K&N drop-in filter, because truthfully you aren't going to gain any power by changing the filter. Though the extra growl from the engine is nice though lol

No you probably won't hear any more noise that normal. K&N filters actually filter a little less than a stock paper filter...untill they get a little dirty than they work just as good and still let more air through. Will you see any power gains? Maybe 2 - 5HP...maybe. It's not the way to go if you are looking to add power. For that you need a Short Ram (SR) or Cold Air Intake (CAI). Or you could gut your airbox and remove and baffeling or resonator and that will be a psuedo CAI. The intake track will not be as good an actual CAI but it will help in the power area. If you do that I would suggest getting the K&N just for ease of maintenance. And a word to the wise buy the pump spray can of oil not the squirt bottle you'll thank yourself later for that.:)

it is NOT recommended that you use the K&N filters as they are oiled and *will* throw off the MAF readings in the newer mazdas.... this car ain't a 626 or protege anymore! the MAFs in these new cars suck! worst case scenario... oil gets caked on inside the MAF and causing check engine lights

and yes, mazda is aware of this and WILL void the warranty on the MAF if you install a K&N drop in

TheMAN said:
it is NOT recommended that you use the K&N filters as they are oiled and *will* throw off the MAF readings in the newer mazdas.... this car ain't a 626 or protege anymore! the MAFs in these new cars suck! worst case scenario... oil gets caked on inside the MAF and causing check engine lights

and yes, mazda is aware of this and WILL void the warranty on the MAF if you install a K&N drop in

and as a precaution to said potential oil covered MAF mess, go get a can of QD electronic spray cleaner and clean your MAF sensor regularly

problem prevented, and you get to use K&N filter like everything's fine (RTM)

<--- been using Racing Beat intake w/ K&N filter on the 8, works perfectly, no oil residue on the MAF either!

TheMAN said:

Can you pls take me to the link/website that says this?? I've use K&N on my last 3 cars with out any problems....

On a good note... my Mazdaspeed CAI will arrive this Thur. (lol2)

Last edited:
ZoomZoomH said:
and as a precaution to said potential oil covered MAF mess, go get a can of QD electronic spray cleaner and clean your MAF sensor regularly

problem prevented, and you get to use K&N filter like everything's fine (RTM)

<--- been using Racing Beat intake w/ K&N filter on the 8, works perfectly, no oil residue on the MAF either!

In agreement. IMHO if one elects to use an oiled filter like the K&N drop in, I would recommend cleaning the MAF as part of the general maintenance schedule.

After seeing how much my oiled gauze filter gunked up my MAF, I switched to the AEM Dryflow filter. No worries now.

Last edited:
You know, I really felt no gain from the drop-in K&N. I honestly expected none anyways. Given the oil builup on the MAF caused by it, I think I'm going to switch away from the K&N at my earliest convenience and go dry filter. Or SRI, too wet in these parts for a CAI I'd think...

Last edited:
AFTERMARKET AIR INTAKE SYSTEM - ROUGH ENGINE IDLE

Applicable Models

2004 - RX8 VIN Range: 000000 - ZZZZZZ; Symptoms

030 ROUGH IDLE MTOL - 4090 Dealer Repair Information

Some customers may complain of rough or poor idling condition. The
RX8's airbox N intake system is specially designed to eliminate
restriction N create a smooth airflow over the MAF. If the customer has
installed an aftermarket air cleaner or intake system, the airflow
stream to the MAF element may be disrupted N cause an improper MAF
signal. This erratic signal results in a rough idle condition. Also,
aftermarket air cleaner elements are sometimes coated in oil to better
filter the incoming air. The oil from this type of elemnt may damage the
MAF resulting in a poor idle or MIL related to the MAF. If a customer
complains of a rough engine idle, see the repair instructions below.

1. Check for aftermarket air intake system or aftermarket air filter
element. (Replace with factory system if necessary.)
2. If rough idle continues, check for additional bulletins / M-tips,
workshop manual troubleshotting.
3. Confirm repair.

2005 Mazda North American Operations, U.S.A.

although that is pertaining to the RX-8, the MAF used on the RX-8 is the same as the one used in the mazda3 and mazda6... yup parts bin engineering... this same MAF has been used in the 99-03 1.6l proteges which have been known to have crazy issues with aftermarket intakes.... yes, it's a piece of s***! so if your s*** "works fine", you're lucky right now!

Last edited:
TheMAN said:
AFTERMARKET AIR INTAKE SYSTEM - ROUGH ENGINE IDLE

Applicable Models

2004 - RX8 VIN Range: 000000 - ZZZZZZ; Symptoms

030 ROUGH IDLE MTOL - 4090 Dealer Repair Information

Some customers may complain of rough or poor idling condition. The
RX8's airbox N intake system is specially designed to eliminate
restriction N create a smooth airflow over the MAF. If the customer has
installed an aftermarket air cleaner or intake system, the airflow
stream to the MAF element may be disrupted N cause an improper MAF
signal. This erratic signal results in a rough idle condition. Also,
aftermarket air cleaner elements are sometimes coated in oil to better
filter the incoming air. The oil from this type of elemnt may damage the
MAF resulting in a poor idle or MIL related to the MAF. If a customer
complains of a rough engine idle, see the repair instructions below.

1. Check for aftermarket air intake system or aftermarket air filter
element. (Replace with factory system if necessary.)
2. If rough idle continues, check for additional bulletins / M-tips,
workshop manual troubleshotting.
3. Confirm repair.

2005 Mazda North American Operations, U.S.A.

although that is pertaining to the RX-8, the MAF used on the RX-8 is the same as the one used in the mazda3 and mazda6... yup parts bin engineering... this same MAF has been used in the 99-03 1.6l proteges which have been known to have crazy issues with aftermarket intakes.... yes, it's a piece of s***! so if your s*** "works fine", you're lucky right now!

tell that to the hundreds of RX-8 owners that have installed the Racing Beat intake and are running perfectly fine, yes we're all 'lucky' according to you....

So from your posts it seems like the primary advantage of a K&N air filter is that I never need to change it, just need to wash it every 30-50K miles?

However because it allows more air through and has an oil coating, it messes up my MAF sensor (what is that?). So if I want to use it, I need to clean this MAF regularly?

Is there a filter like the K&N that I don't need to keep replacing, but won't mess up my MAF sensor?

The MAF Sensor is the, Mass Air Flow Sensor. The only filters that won't mess the MAF up will be non-oil filters like the AEM Dryflow filters but I don't think they make drop-ins only cone types for SR and CAI intakes. If you don't want to worry about oil then you should stick with a paper or foam filter.

Attached is a pic of a 6s the yellow arrow is pointing at the MAF Sensor. Your airbox may be a little different but the MAF Sensor will still be located on the intake track between the airbox and the motor.

Attachments

• Car007-1.jpg
    Car007-1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 234
jdub260 said:
The MAF Sensor is the, Mass Air Flow Sensor. The only filters that won't mess the MAF up will be non-oil filters like the AEM Dryflow filters but I don't think they make drop-ins only cone types for SR and CAI intakes. If you don't want to worry about oil then you should stick with a paper or foam filter.

Attached is a pic of a 6s the yellow arrow is pointing at the MAF Sensor. Your airbox may be a little different but the MAF Sensor will still be located on the intake track between the airbox and the motor.
Is it easy to clean this MAF sensor? If I switch to the K&N, how often do I need to clean the MAF sensor?

I've had a K&N drop-in in evey car I've owned and I never cleaned a MAF sensor. But that's not to say that they didn't need to be cleaned I don't know. But I never got a CEL so I never worried about it. As long as the filter isn't dripping with oil when you install it you should be fine. For celaning read here This was posted eariler be Raynman, it doesn't look to hard to clean it.

Are the people who are having problems oiling both sides of the filter. I only oil on the intake side, and have never had any problems.

Back