What 's the top speed?

monsta

Contributor
:
06 5 Touring, 07 Sport
Wondering where the speed limiter kicks in. I haven't gotten above 95 yet...always someone in the way!

Is the top speed different for the auto versus the manual?

I take it that's where you've had it? Or is that the mathmatical equation to determine geared top speed.

haha... I bet you'd need a LOOOOONG stretch of straight road to get close to that with this car. My guess is at 105-110 this thing becomes a dog in further acceleration, but maybe I'm wrong... my test drive's only took me to about 65 ;)

The 5 does kinda look like a spaceship IMO, though. I've heard others say this too. I wonder if lifts off at 100mph, eek, be careful! (lol2)

jandree22 said:
My guess is at 105-110 this thing becomes a dog in further acceleration, but maybe I'm wrong... my test drive's only took me to about 65 ;)

We hit 115 on a stretch of Utah highway without any signs of it slowing down. I made the husband back off or I think we could have easily hit the 122 that dommo_g hit on that stretch.

Brian MP5T said:
Kojack said:
It's a Van,

Probably 65 MPH..
which is 10 mph faster than your Mp5!(first)
009.bmp

Sure you're boosted, but Jesus hates cheaters :D

jk

Last edited:
While it may not be the top speed, it is god awful scary how smooth the 5 is at 95 mph. I was caught totally off guard. I thought I was doing in the low 70's when I looked down and did a little "oh sh*&!!!" I will also say that I was not really pushing it at all to get 95, so I would guess 110-120 would be a reasonable estimate. The real question is "Would top speed be achieved in 4th or 5th gear on the 5spd? With my 85 mustang, top speed came in 4th because of 5th being overdrive. Those who have pushed it may want to shed some light on this subject.
Opus

opus said:
While it may not be the top speed, it is god awful scary how smooth the 5 is at 95 mph. I was caught totally off guard. I thought I was doing in the low 70's when I looked down and did a little "oh sh*&!!!" I will also say that I was not really pushing it at all to get 95, so I would guess 110-120 would be a reasonable estimate. The real question is "Would top speed be achieved in 4th or 5th gear on the 5spd? With my 85 mustang, top speed came in 4th because of 5th being overdrive. Those who have pushed it may want to shed some light on this subject.
Opus

As I've said before, the 5 seems to enjoy the 80-90mph range. And yes, it's so damned smooth that it takes you completely off guard. My 3S by comparison feels like it's going fast. It's probably a side effect of the 5's excellent sound deadening.

opus said:
The real question is "Would top speed be achieved in 4th or 5th gear on the 5spd? With my 85 mustang, top speed came in 4th because of 5th being overdrive. Those who have pushed it may want to shed some light on this subject.

I am pretty sure we were cruising in 5th when we hit 115. I'll check with the hubby, but I don't recall it being a passing situation since we were on a 4 lane highway.

Too bad the gas mileage is so crappy at the 90-95mph speeds, because you're right, that's where it loves to be and it sure was a fun drive.

jandree,

I have a k03 turbo coming off my passat, i may slap that on my 5 and see what happens! nice project.

thats good for 180hp on my 1.8 passat...so i figure 200 for the 2.3 ltr at about 7psi

I'm sure the Mz5 is good for at least 76 mph because that's what the officer told my wife she was doing in a 55 mph zone. :-( She had no idea she was going that fast because it's so quiet and smooth compared to her old car. The Mz5 is a bargain but only if she learns to slow it down a little!

But back on topic, I would guess the top speed would be about 127mph regardless of the cosmetic/aero doodads. That's a guess based on the published top speed of the UK diesel model (122 mph) and the relative HP ratings. The top speed would be achieved in whatever gear got you the highest horsepower, which peaks at 6500 RPM.

Jon

It's probably right around 113-115 mph, because that is where the fuel cutoff for the Mazda3. I suspect the fuel cutoff for the Mazda5 is the same.

As for indicated speed on the guages... we all know that it's slightly more optmistic than actual speed...

An earlier comment said:
It's probably a side effect of the 5's excellent sound deadening.
What???? Excellent sound deadening???.
Then why are there so many people trying to find cures for wind and road noise.
Anyone qualifying the Mazda 5 for being quiet has listen to too many high volume MP3's and has lost quite a bit of hearing capabilities.

jackd said:
An earlier comment said:

Anyone qualifying the Mazda 5 for being quiet has listen to too many high volume MP3's and has lost quite a bit of hearing capabilities.

I owned a Honda Pilot before the 5 and can attest to it being as quiet as the Honda. We have taken many long trips and never felt the 5 was noisy. My 3S is a bit noisier but nowhere near as noisy as my previous proteges.

Not sure what kind of car your coming from, but by small car (and I've had a few) standards the 5 is very quiet.

jackd said:
An earlier comment said:

Momma always said "quiet is as quiet does". I think it all depends upon what you are used to driving. Go from a Saturn into the 5 and the 5 comes across as an incredibly quiet ride. Go from an Audi into the 5 and I am sure it will seem to have a ton of road noise, wind noise etc.... Overall I have had five different people in the 5 and they have all commented on how quiet and smooth the 5 was.
Opus

Back