sr racing hp claims...

If you're talking about the pulleys here I'd be a little skeptical. Yes they will free up HP, but I don't know if it would be almost 10 HP.

But I'm certain it will be enough to register on the butt dyno...especially if you have a stick 5.

The pulleys by them selves will not free up 5whp. What you have to ask is what mods did they do with the pulles to get the hp gains.

Different engines react to pulley swaps differently, depending on the number of accessories using that pulley, the % of diameter reduction, etc. 10 horses doesn't seem too out of line. I don't have a lot of experience with this 2.3, but it seems it has a lot locked up in it waiting to be let out. That's a good amount of displacement to only be putting out 147 to the crank. I wouldn't believe it without dyno sheets though.

be VERY careful with these pullies... do NOT try to install it yourself! the crankshaft nose on the MZR engines does NOT have keyways, so you HAVE to use special tools to keep the engine still during pulley R&R.... failure to use the special tools will result in the ignition timing being off and causing the engine to run rough, get "CEL"s, damaged, etc

this applies to ALL cars that has these engines (2.0 and 2.3 mazda3, mazda5, mazda6, cx-7, tribute, b-series, etc)

if you want this s*** installed, get the dealer to do it!

yeah...

I was looking at the intake, pulley and exhaust....they claim 37hp for it all....

Kojack said:
yeah...

I was looking at the intake, pulley and exhaust....they claim 37hp for it all....

LOL there is now way that you'll get 37hp out of just those bolt ons. I've got those and more and I know I don't have 137 hp. The protege has stock 100 whp. I have L/W flywheel, cai, short header with gutted precat, racingbeat axel back, MP3 ecu and platinum plugs. There are guys that have dynoed with the same mods and got around 110 whp.

These are good starting mods and I don't mean to sound negative. I just want you to know true gains of what you are getting. When you put the cai on the ecu will learn how much air is coming in and adjust for it there for offsetting any real gains. But they do sound cool. That's also why I would never pay more then e-bay price for one.

Kojack said:
yeah...

Just wondering, did they claim that or did you add up the individual gains all the different mods you were planning on? If you added them up, I can almost guarentee you it wont be 37. When you use multiple parts, you don't get the full gain claimed for each part.

For example, say you plan on putting on a CAI and Exhaust system. Both claim to be good for 10hp gains. Well, that theoretically would probably happen, is you'd add the CAI first by itself and see all 10hp, but then you add the exhaust and only see an additional 4 or 5hp on top.

I dunno why I thought of this, but it's the same effect a heavy person gets when trying to lose weight. If they're 300lbs to start, they'll be able to 20lbs a month easy, but when you get down to an average size, maybe you'll only be able to lose about 5lbs a month. It's just that the closer you get to reaching 'peak performance' out of something, the smaller effect you'll get out of the effort put in.

IMHO, if I were you, I'd try to be patient. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a MSpeed5 or at least a turbo kit come out in the next few years. You'd be better off saving up to trade up or buy the kit. Perhaps we'll never see either, but if you're looking for bang-for-the-buck, boost is the ticket.

Last edited:
no, they claimed that from these bolt ons. im not wanting a rocket ship but if these claims were true, I.E. someone has these parts, then I would seriously consider doing it...the car is fine powerwise, jsut like to have a little more. for my main ride, I have lots of power, my passat with a K04 turbo on it....

thats where I get rid of the speed urges.

I am proficent at tuning cars...been at it for years...just not with mazdas...I did'nt know if their aiflows were really big restrictors of air.

but hey....if I get 15hp or so out of it I will be happy....

Last edited:
Back