Musings (Gripes) About the CX-7

willmapp

:
Mazda CX-7
First post, and pictures will follow of our Black Cherry Mica GT.

Let me say that the CX-7 is a very fun car to drive, but I have
some nagging complaints that I think should be standard on any car
made in the 21st Century.

This is our first Mazda and my issues aren't serious, maybe the Mazda
folks can read this so that they can make additions for '08.

- CEL at 2689 miles, taking her in on Friday
- No chime or sound when the fuel level indicator light comes on
- Nav system CD player doesn't display album title and track info for Audio CDs (mp3s are fine)
- Nav system radio doesn't display RDS information during FM broadcasts; it looks like the standard radio does
- Acceleration isn't always smooth when not trying to Zoom-Zoom; when gently accelerating, the vehicle seems to struggle at times
- No choices for upgraded wheels
- No electronically adjustable front passenger seat
- No realtime fuel economy calculation in gauge pod

Other than that Mazda keep up the good work.

What I really like:

- Indirect illumination in gauge pod and interior
- Electro-illuminescent gauge pod
- The racing stripe! I almost bought the car solely for it.
- The Proximity key!
- Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift lever
- 6 o'clock starting position for tach and speedo gauges
- Awesome creature comfort, exterior-interior styling
- Definitely a fun drive, more fun than the Murano, FX-whatever, and other cars I test drove

I get lots of looks while driving around Metropolitan Washington and Baltimore.
It's definitely one of the sexiest cars on the road.

W

willmapp said:
- Nav system CD player doesn't display album title and track info for Audio CDs (mp3s are fine)

No CD player will show album information for a CD, as the information isn't contained on the CD. MP3's, on the other hand, include title information on the song itself.

I got a couple minor gripes:
- seat / mirror memory function should be included in Technology package
- when playing tracks in "random" mode, advancing to the next or previous track cancels it and returns to normal. Doesn't make sense... why can't I advance to the next random track?
- with a/c on, launching from dead stop quickly is tricky - the car sometimes hesitates for 1-2 seconds before lunging forward. My old Mazda 6 had similar issue that was fixed somewhat with software updates, hopefully the same will happen for the CX-7
- no aux-in jack on the radio

It's a great car and I love it but like anything else, it's not perfect :)

Let me add mt $.02 worth. Since I didn't get the nav system, I have no issues there. Otherwise I'm in agreement with most of the assessments listed above.

What I like least is the interior appointment. To me it seems plastic (which most of it is) and cheap. The dimpled black plastic has a finish that's extremely hard to maintain appearance-wise. It looks like a poor leather imitation, only hard. It has a way of collecting lint, hand marks and scuffs (which aren't really scuffs, just where something brushed against it.) This is especially true on door panels and passenger side dash. I traded an 04 Mazda6s Grand Touring for my CX-7, and really did not expect such a step backwards in interior quality.

The super deep and accomodating console compartment (which Mazda points out as an advertising advantage) encourages the accumulation of what-nots. The vastness of the compartment then allows those assorted items to get good momentum as they roll from front to rear, or side to side, as the vehicle starts, stops, and turns. A ball point pen in there about drove me crazy one day. A driver with a low tolerance for sliding and rattling noises eventually learns which types of items are of the aggrevating noise-making types, and finds other places to stow them.

Other little items that I had come to just take for granted are missing. I don't know if it's a trim level issue or not, but I miss the courtesy lights on the vanity mirrors, and in the doors.

I do wish that the engineers at Mazda would find another way to handle the privacy shade over the rear luggage compartment. I don't know how it's done by other automakers, but the CX-7 uses a bar that houses a window-shade kind of roll-out shade. The bar may be removed for larger (taller) cargo, but then becomes a bulky cargo item itself. Unless the driver is at home, and can stow it in the garage, it is in the way, and another item to worry about sliding around during turns, etc.

Items that I like are predominately performance-related. The handling and power are exceptional.

I'd give the CX-7 a backhanded compliment by saying that it is actually a boring vehicle to drive on longer trips. The key point is that there's absolutely no drama to keep the driver's adrenalin flowing. It goes where you point it almost effortlessly. It performs meneuvers at excessive speeds without complaint. When I'm on a two-lane blacktop, (where much of my driving is done) I find myself hoping to come up behind somebody so I can do a quick exhilirating pass just to break the monotony.

Again, I'd give the CX-7 an exceptional rating.

Actually, I have a CD player in one of my other cars that displays the title information when its encoded on the CD. It's been a CDDA standard since 1996.

I'll also have to admit that cleaning the dimpled plastic is a little difficult. Using Lexol's Vinyl wipes seems to work well though.

Add to my list of gripes the backwards step I took (see previous post) in general quality and feel of the steering wheel. The change in types of switches looks and feels cheap. Add to that that there's no telescoping function of that steering wheel.

I guess everything is subject to opinion. My CX-7 is also replacing a 2004 Mazda 6 GT-V6. I find the interior to be a huge step forward. I miss the telescope feature, but other than that the interior is VERY upscale. Big improvements in quality and fit-n-finish.

Mazda3 said:
I guess everything is subject to opinion. My CX-7 is also replacing a 2004 Mazda 6 GT-V6. I find the interior to be a huge step forward. I miss the telescope feature, but other than that the interior is VERY upscale. Big improvements in quality and fit-n-finish.
When I first drove the base (non-GT) CX-7, I thought the black interior look pretty cheap compared to my 6. For this reason, I decided I wanted a platinum CX-7 w/ the sand interior. But after seeing the black GT interior, I changed my mind - funny what a few trim pieces and nicer seats can do to perception. I'd rate the interior a notch above my 6 in most deprtments. One thing I do miss is the two-level storage space in the center console - that was quite handy. And yeah, I don't understand the lack of a telescoping steering wheel, either.

Otto said:
When I first drove the base (non-GT) CX-7, I thought the black interior look pretty cheap compared to my 6. For this reason, I decided I wanted a platinum CX-7 w/ the sand interior. But after seeing the black GT interior, I changed my mind - funny what a few trim pieces and nicer seats can do to perception. I'd rate the interior a notch above my 6 in most deprtments. One thing I do miss is the two-level storage space in the center console - that was quite handy. And yeah, I don't understand the lack of a telescoping steering wheel, either.

Yes, the GT interior is alot nicer than the GS. I guess I should have specified the GT interior in my post. The CX-7 has the same steering wheel as the new MX-5 which doesn't have the telescope feature either. It must have something to do with the steering set-up.

Mazda3 said:
Yes, the GT interior is alot nicer than the GS. I guess I should have specified the GT interior in my post. The CX-7 has the same steering wheel as the new MX-5 which doesn't have the telescope feature either. It must have something to do with the steering set-up.
One minor gripe (we're on a roll today, haha) about the GT interior - would it have killed them to add some nicer (silver) trim to the rear doors? It almost feels like sitting in a black hole back there. Rear air vents would've been nice, too.

Someone stop me...

There are vents under the seat that blow into the back, all Mazda's have that feature.

Only real gripes are the dimpled plastic crap, somewhat jumpy throttle at times (the blessing and curse of throttle by wire), and it's way too easy to speed in. :D

willmapp said:
Actually, I have a CD player in one of my other cars that displays the title information when its encoded on the CD. It's been a CDDA standard since 1996.

According to Wikipedia, CD-Text is an extension of the Red Book Compact Disc specifications standard for audio CDs. It allows for storage of additional information (e.g. album name, song name, and artist) on a standards-compliant audio CD. The information is stored in the lead-in area of the CD, where there is roughly five kilobytes of space available, or in the Subchannels R to W on the disc, which can store about 31 megabytes. These areas are not used by strict Red Book CDs. The text is stored in a format usable by the Interactive Text Transmission System (ITTS). ITTS is also used by Digital Audio Broadcasting or the MiniDisc. The specification was released in September 1996, and backed by Sony. Support for CD Text is common, but not universal. Utilities exist to automatically rip CD-TEXT data, and insert it into CDDB or freedb.

My nits to pick:

--I wish the doors would auto-lock when you shift into drive
--It'd be nice to have memory settings on the seats and mirrors. I don't let my wife drive because I don't want to have to adjust the seat back to where I like it
--A more elaborate trip computer (including fuel economy info) would be nice
--It'd be nice to have defrosters on the side view mirrors

Things I love:

--The proximity key. It never leaves my pocket but I can unlock the doors by pushing a button. LOVE it.
--Very peppy acceleration and handling.
--The technology package
--Sirius radio

Mike

--It'd be nice to have memory settings on the seats and mirrors. I don't let my wife drive because I don't want to have to adjust the seat back to where I like it
Now we know that she'd have to pry the wheel from your cold dead hands is the real reason (peep)

I believe they are there - try the rear window defrost switch. (peep)

Navy86 said:
My nits to pick:

--I wish the doors would auto-lock when you shift into drive
--A more elaborate trip computer (including fuel economy info) would be nice

Things I love:

--The proximity key. It never leaves my pocket but I can unlock the doors by pushing a button. LOVE it.
--Very peppy acceleration and handling.
--The technology package
--Sirius radio

Mike

I glad the doors don't lock when I put it into drive, very annoying feature on all GM vehicles.

Heated mirrors are standard in Canada, not sure about US.

I totally agree with the memory seat, that drives me nuts.

Heated mirrors are standard in Canada, not sure about US.
Mine are heated, although not marked as such. They came on when I activated the rear window defrost.

what about the e-brake! it would be nice to have a hand-brake instead of a old style foot-brake! its hard to get this thing sideways in a corner with that damn thing(glare)

agreed, though I ain't got up the nerve (or enough empty road) to try that with this high center of gravity. Don't know if I'm getting old or prudent.

Map lights are not functional as reading lights due to the blinding glare in your rearview miror.

No power outlet in the rear (behind your rear seats)

-Gary

Back