Exhaust Cut-outs... Compare?

PerfectXtreme

:
Mazdaspeed6 GT
There are 2 exhaust cut-outs i've been lookin at... Both are built very differntly and I would like everyones input on them.... Pros and Cons of both...

1) http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=ATP-ACS-010&Category_Code=BCS

This one appears to provide less airflow issues when closed... But takes extra work to have it setup so it only activates when wanted... rather than when turbo spools...

2) http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

This one allows you to control the gate right from the start... however also provides a funny angle for when closed... possibly causing extra airflow issues.... Possibly reducing performance when the flap is shut...

Here's some quotes from my posts concerning the two cutouts. Remember is have SERIOUS seat time with an electric cutout on my Impala:

You can control the WGA type cutout with a boost solenoid - aka vacuum relay. I have them in my SRT-4 for a boost control circuit. If you want the cutouts to open on boost, turn on a switch (I'm going to use the defroster button). The low end torque difference would be for about a 1/4 of a second then the cutout would be open from that point foward in the race.
One thing you guys don't understand is that I've had the electric cutouts on my car and they NEVER close entirely. You will always hear a small "rattle" coming from the exhaust from the tiny exhaust leak.

For a price comparison you're going to have to buy the QTP controller for the same functionality except I'll just have to push the defroster button to allow mine to automatically open and close vs push a button to open and push a button to close.
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Controller/

The reason why I want auto open/close is that when caught in a quick race I don't want to hold a button down for 3 seconds while I'm trying to shift. Case in point, I am driving along and a guy wants to go as we're just driving. With an electric cutout I have to reach down and hold open the button. Now with my Impala that's no gigantic deal as it was an auto, now try that with a stick. HUGE disadvantage. In my Impala I had the nitrous setup on the defroster button and my cutouts worked off the high beams once the defroster button was activated. That way I could open them without having to look down at all.

OK I'm going to say this one last time to people that are making the comments that the two cutouts will show a difference.
The difference will only show below 5PSI in 1st gear....
From that point forward you will be above 5 PSI and they will be the same in every aspect.

Now how long are you below 5PSI in 1st gear in a hard launch?
Hmm about 1/2 a second? Another 1 second or so to get through the 60'.
So the bost controlled cutout will make a difference by probably .1 second or less in the first 60'.
Now if I can find a two-step rev limiter I'll have boost off the line....

OK so the cliffnotes are:
1. Both cutouts for dyno comparison will be the same except for below 5 PSI.
2. At the track the cutouts will be the same except for below 5 PSI in 1st gear, the WGA for the cutout is as fast as the WGA for your turbo.
3. Electric cutouts require either the controller or you will have to hold down the button for around 1.5 to 2.5 seconds. If you are caught "off gaurd" you could be down up to 40 HP as you won't want to hold down your cutout and shift. I will just hit a button in my dash as soon as I want to race and the boost activated cutout will open when needed.

Wiggum said:
I understand your point, but just keep in mind you are assuming that is a race starting from a dead stop...

Ahh I understand, then every roll race you do is planned with 3 honks or do you have the time to hold down a button to open your electric cutouts?

Please watch this video and note two things, full close to full open time and the exhaust leak when closed.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/DMH.mpeg

I'm not saying that e-cutouts are BAD, I'm saying that the VES system works BETTER for boosted applications.
Mike

dude u are under the car and u can barely hear the leak , so when you are outside or in the car trust me you dont hear it at ALL

On my Impala with dual cutouts on the headers I thought I was having roller rocker issues. I troubleshot it for quite awhile before I realized it was the cutouts leaking. It was quite evident under the hood and outside the car the clacking noise from the cutout. Maybe it was due to the greater exhaust pressure I was on my car but I don't want to hear that from my brand new car. I could "fix" the exhaust leak by holding the close button down. The VES system uses a WGA which holds pressure against the flap so no exhaust leak noises.

Mike

Latest posts

Back