Filled up with 90 octance-rated gas + 10% ethanol mix today

tdf2001

So I live in Nebraska where this is sold. Between milking cows and picking corn (for those who think of NE this way), I decided to half fill the CX-7 with the ethanol-gas mix. It's rated 90. I pegged the immediate risk to be low. It's priced right around 87 gas thanks to subsidies. I have had no problems whatsoever. The engine certainly did not go into "emergency" mode, that's for sure. I am not endorsing this but the initial test went well. If anything, the car ran smoother, more linear but it's entirely possible (if not likely) that my foot is just getting the feel for the pedal. & turbo.

Has anyone else tried this? Any opinions on the 90 rated ethanol-gas mix?

Speedway in Michigan has had 10% ethanol in its fuel for YEARS...

Many midwest stations that sell cheaper gas had a 10% ethanol blend.

officerfarva said:
{...}
Many midwest stations that sell cheaper gas had a 10% ethanol blend.

Many? There is not a single one that does not have the 10% mix in NE, not one (that I know of). I think that goes for some our stately neighbors too but I couldn't be sure.

With my previous car I got the mix for the last 8 yrs b/c the 90 rated gas was actually less expensive than regular 87. This changed recently (<6mths ago). I assume that the subsidies are running out. No harm was done to my previous vehicle, the venerable Ford Exploder Sport (sic).

I haven't seen any of that down here where we pick cows and milk corn.

(PS. Y'all do cow tipping too?)(burnout)

I'm in Alexandria VA, and the closest stations to me all sell 10% ethanol only.

It looks like areas are phasing in 10% ethanol to replace MTBE.

Last edited:
tdf2001 said:
I googled my way up and down and came across the E85 entry in Wikipedia and consequently this link:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14937

It appears ethanol is actually a better fuel *especially* for turbo charged cars. Maybe I wasn't imagining the smoother ride afteralll...

Gas mileage deteriorates also. Ah, nothing is perfect.

Higher octane and lower burn temps means that more boost can safely be used. it also cleans out carbons etc etc.

Back